Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Kooks headers all done - but have "ting a ling ting" rattle from driver side header

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Kooks headers all done - but have "ting a ling ting" rattle from driver side header

Morning guys,

Just got back from muffler shop for them to patch my kooks to my borla. I will get into my thoughts and impressions of headers and MM and more later...

Once I got home all warmed up, I noticed a high tone "ting a ling ting" rattle coming from what predominantly sounds like the driver side header in the lower part. I'm letting system cool now. I did not notice it last night or any time I was running car with open cats (may not have heard it - i bet I would have), but I never really got he system hot. Mine are Jet hot coated.

I intently checked before starting that there was clearance at all points around the header. "could" it be that 2 of the tubes are touching each other? I assume they do NOT weld any 2 tubes to each other and try to have them as all free tubes from the flange to the collector. When it cools I will get closer, but there are 3 tubes with 2 gaps between them on the driver side where I don't really even see an air gap, and not spot of weld. Could this be?

Have any of you with kooks ecnountered this? Anyone have a possible remedy?

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Kooks headers all done - but have "ting a ling ting" rattle from driver side head

My car made all kinds of crazy noises after the header install, including the one you're describing and a "playing card in the spokes" flapping noise. Tried 4 sets of new gaskets and plugs as well, but never found it. If I had it to do over again, I'd have avoided headers.

I hope you fare better than I did.

#3 ·
Re: Kooks headers all done - but have "ting a ling ting" rattle from driver side head

my current theory is let it cool then start it back up. if it only happens after it gets hot, there may be just enough expansion gettign 2 tubes together, maybe slide shim stock in there... Ah Mod hell - why do we do it? Anyone else have this problem? thoughts remedies?

#4 ·

Shortly after my header install, I heard a few strange noises as well. They have since subsided. The only thing I can think of is expansion and contration. Mine were Jethot coated with Xtreme 2000 as well. If I were you, I would cross my fingers and hope it goes away after a few hundred miles. Mine did.

#11 ·

^^^ lol! How would YOU know what this sounds like,
What's an iPod, anyway? :rolleyes:

It's funny. From inside the car, my valvetrain sounds so horrible, I'm embarrassed to drive next to anyone with their window down. However, if I get out while it's running, it's not nearly so noticeable from outside the car. Just must be focused right at the firewall and get transmitted straight into the cabin.

#9 ·

I didn't know what a sewing machine sounded like until I got my headers :leaving:

#10 ·

Sounds like slightly and occasionally like 2 of the pipes are touching. Another way to describe it is like a weld spall is bouncing inside. However no welding was done. I will check today if when cool it does not happen. Once hot if it occurs, that tells me it is expansion - confirming tubes. I understand the sewing machine noise is the enhanced valvetrain noise am is normal. This sound is not constant so it may not be a spall or debris. More thoughts or those with noises? I do need to put more miles on them. If it is the pipes touching with expansion, how do I solve that slide emory between messing up the jet hot, or slide and wedge shim stock in? Ugh?

#12 ·

Check the grommets under your dash where the cables route through the firewall, Randy. I've been in non-modded cars where a boot was missing/loose/torn, and the engine sounded like a thresher from the driver's seat but fine outside.

Sorry for the brief hijack.

#14 ·

I guess that I shouldn't mention that I know how to sew with a sewing machine :hide:

#15 ·

Sewing machine you need to pull your valve covers and start the engine, thus removing any left over thread from the spindles.

Make sure you use a left handed crescent wrench or you will strip the backward threaded steam seats.

#16 ·

Sewing machine you need to pull your valve covers and start the engine, thus removing any left over thread from the spindles.

Make sure you use a left handed crescent wrench or you will strip the backward threaded steam seats.
uh.... what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.