Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Header install help... sprak plug wire

3K views 34 replies 9 participants last post by  shadybx7 
#1 ·
every thing was going fine.. :worship:GEARWRENCHS:worship:

I ripped my spark pug connection out of the boot..first wire on the PS side that was already chewed up... it stayed on the plug.. the wire is $33 dollars at autozone..Unless anyone local can hook me up with a stocker...:alchi::alchi:

if not im just going to buy a whole new set of wires and plugs for $116.
http://estore.websitepros.com/2120533/Detail.bok?no=2

but then im going to have to wait a while for shipping...

so if i drive around minus 1 cylinder will i do any damage??with the stock tune.. going for a dyno tune on Tuesday

#2 ·
In the old days, with a cylinder pouring raw gasoline onto a lit catalytic converter, you'd run the risk of melting the substrate. But, with O2 sensors nowadays, I'd imagine the PCM would just signal the injectors to go lean, and the cat might not ever light off.

Aw, who am I kidding. I just don't know. :nono:

#7 ·
:lol:rand, good one
thanks for the offer heavy i will see what i can scrounge up locally...

my only other problem is with the dipstick.. I can seat it no problem but attaching it to the block isn't working.. it refuses to reattach like stock (flush on the block) I seat the dipstick then when i go to torque down the bolt it gets hung up on the flange by very little.. anyone heard of this?

lolly it wasnt about the $$... i only have one car and had no ride to the store

#9 ·
lol... i really hope your right.. but that's the symptom right?? the mounting bracket getting hung up on the flange..

i got under and checked.. got my pops as he was walking by to push the tube down from the top.. I know it seated.. pulled got oil...then i went to tighten the bolt and it the mounting bracket got hung up on the flange and wouldn't go any further... maybe im going crazy..

im beat i worked on this solo the entire day.. hopefully rest will get me out of minimod hell..

#10 ·
took me about 20 minuts to get the tube back in...thought i had it pulled the stick - dry - damn. Then got it. I fired the car up tonight with new motor mounts, taylor thundervolt 50 wires, new plugs, kooks with open cats (connecting small splice pipes tomorrow), W4M ECU.

HOLY WOW - like a damn race car - neighbors love me now. Dude you have to fire it up once with the open pipes. Just take your time and be precise. I also wrapped a ton of stuff with inswool socks and reflective insulated tape and cool socks on the wires, painted the coils.. still have my gen3 diff and axle to get to.

here we go mod hell here we go....

#12 ·
My dipstick is seated too, but hung up on the flang, I just snugged it down crooked. I'm having a host of other problems, got P0300 code popping up. I reseated my wires and the missfire are less freaquent and noticable, brand new wires and plugs. I dropped one plug on the ground while installing but I can't remember which one it was and P0300 doesn't tell me which cylinder is missing, or maybe I got a dud wire. grrr.

#15 ·
My dipstick is seated too, but hung up on the flang, I just snugged it down crooked.
exactly :banghead::banghead:

i don't even want to think about plugwires untill everything else is buttoned up

#25 ·
Got it taken care of, plug wire was loose, I think my cool sox were getting in the way of a perfect fit, I slid the ring end of the cool sox up the plug boots a bit and no more code.

exactly :banghead::banghead:

i don't even want to think about plugwires untill everything else is buttoned up
Got mine to sit flush, mine too was seated in the hole but I couldn't get the bracket to sit flat against the head, unil I tried again today and it lined up. I've been chasing gremlins for the past few days, killing them one by one.

#14 ·
how noticable is a misfire? I swear I got all my plugs in dead correct, but the rear passenger wire is the only one I did not feel the "click". I pulled it off and it was difficult to pull of telling me that I maybe had it seated. I pushed the wire back on again and used boot pliers to try to push the wire back on, still felt no click. I suppose no misfire - I guess. I do get a pretty rythmic pulse in the engine tone, but still sounds "normal". I would assume I would notice a misfire. I was a little scared at first to fire it up. But it does not sound like I have any problem. So far no codes, but only idled twice for 10 min and went wround block twice

#18 ·
:lol: :tits:friends are nice

crooked

Seated i swear

sexayyyy 3in FTW

ok so i can crank down that 15mm mounting bolt more but its a AL head so im scared of stripping the threads and making it fubar...

ideas???

#20 ·
Thanks heavy, So hit it wit a hammer? lol. I will try and push it deeper. Ok I will get itI will try on Sunday when I get back to the car

#21 ·
At least you put it in the right location! :thumbsup:

You are gonna be surprised as all get out when it fits :eek:

Take out the bolt and dipstick.

You may have to get under the car and guide the thing in if you can't finesse it to drop in place. :rant2:

From your pic, it looks perfect, you just have to seat the O ring.

DON"T FORCE IT or BEND IT.

I wasn't kidding about that patch either.

#30 ·
At least you put it in the right location! :thumbsup:

You are gonna be surprised as all get out when it fits :eek:

Take out the bolt and dipstick.

You may have to get under the car and guide the thing in if you can't finesse it to drop in place. :rant2:

From your pic, it looks perfect, you just have to seat the O ring.

DON"T FORCE IT or BEND IT.

I wasn't kidding about that patch either.
i cant really get back there to guide it in i can just see it and wrenching solo sucks.. o have plug wires temp plug wires

so wiggle it and get the o ring deeper in to the pan. straight down ::hmm:

#24 ·
Ha you'll be callin them when your bearclaws won't fit. That's if you ever get headers tho....

#27 ·
got mine all buttoned up. Interesting sound... I heard many clips but none with a borla. It is a DEEP idle tone, virtually no valvetrain noise in cabin, until you open the hood. Still looking for ting ting rattle. In the car at WOT I was under impressed and expected more. Not to say it was not enhanced and sounds awsome, which it does... Guess driving for a day with open cats spoiled me. "feel" more low RPM grunt and pull from the car with a w4m tune - no dyno results yet. I will try to get a video and post it on my youtube channel - problem is damn phones or digi cams dont really get good audio. my you tube channel is my user name backwards 2201laenb

#33 ·
4after some research looks like Stainless works headers have a design flaw.. bottom line guys is even without the mount there the bolt head wont get paast the header flange. looks like this has allways been a problem but not widely known... Srtshker shimmed it.. "floated it out away from the block right now its seated as far as i can do.. going to lowes tmw for some ghetto rigging SS washes and new longer bolt

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...orks-long-tube-installation-instructions.html

car sounds really mean classy.. dosent even sound like a 3in system to me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.