AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Nice job. It's not easy using a sandwich plate on the V1. There is not much room. With headers it's ...
    crankedupforit is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: Putting together oil cooler kit... have some Q's / need some advice

Nice job. It's not easy using a sandwich plate on the V1. There is not much room. With headers it's damn near impossible which is why I had to go to a spin on plate and a remote filter. Looks like you figured it out. Pics would be great. Here is what a spin on plate looks like for the guys with headers. That is probably why I could go inside the motor mount on both sides.
    You may not be able to drain the cooler completely during an oil change. I watched the dip stick and the oil pressure gauge until I felt comfortable.

CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Nice job. It's not easy using a sandwich plate on the V1. There is not much room. With headers it's damn near impossible which is why I had to go to a spin on plate and a remote filter. Looks like you figured it out. Pics would be great. Here is what a spin on plate looks like for the guys with headers.

God, that looks easy to install!! lol. Are those Earl's fittings you are running? I noticed that the socket-end of my fitting still has some threads showing; it wouldnt go any tighter, but then mine are Aeroquip and might be different thread lengths.

That spin on plate explains how you can route the lines on the inside of the motor mount. Now that I think about it, my routing doesnt seem bad because the HOT side (pre-cooler) will be on the exhaust side of the motor mount, so I dont really care about any additional heat the hose and the oil inside will be exposed to, and the return line (after-cooler) coming back into the motor is routed on the inside of the motor mount, which will be a bit cooler. I could potentially have a straighter hose routing by putting both hoses on the exhaust side of the motor mount, but I think the return line being on the inside will help keep the oil temps down.

That Katech adapter took about 30 minutes to install with all the lines and position it the right way so I could bolt it up to the oil cooler hook-up on the side of the block. Those fittings are moving anywhere. Also, the Katech adapter isnt really a sandwich plate, it actually hooks up to the OEM cooler ports on the side of the block above the oil filter. The Katech kit is wonderful; it even comes with the OEM gasket and new longer bolts to accept the wide adapter.

Also, if I were to do it all over again, I would have gone with a sharper angle than 90* for the top fitting (between 110 and 130*) and would have gone with a 90* for the bottom fitting instead of the 45* I have, but oh well, it works!

I'm going to be home around noon today and will post up pics, and probably a decent write-up if people are interested on building a cooler kit from scratch. I have minimal mechanical / fabrication skills, and I must say this turned out a lot better than I expected.

here are the pics:

Nice work. I like the V logo on the cooler.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

Nice work. I like the V logo on the cooler.
    thanks! so far so good, fixed a little weep I found where the AN fitting attaches to the IN port of the oil cooler. I had to use teflon tape to fully seal the threads where it was leaking through.

Also, what kind of temps are you seeing with your oil cooler, city/highway in warm weather (75-85*)?

I noticed that my oil temp gauge was reading about 219 with city driving in 80* temps, and then once I got up to highway speed it dropped down to 213. Last night when it was cool, I was seeing about 199 to 205 on the highway. Honestly I cant remember what it was normally before the oil cooler; I think somewhere between 239-249 in normal city/highway driving.

Quote Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
    thanks! so far so good, fixed a little weep I found where the AN fitting attaches to the IN port of the oil cooler. I had to use teflon tape to fully seal the threads where it was leaking through.

Also, what kind of temps are you seeing with your oil cooler, city/highway in warm weather (75-85*)?

I noticed that my oil temp gauge was reading about 219 with city driving in 80* temps, and then once I got up to highway speed it dropped down to 213. Last night when it was cool, I was seeing about 199 to 205 on the highway. Honestly I cant remember what it was normally before the oil cooler; I think somewhere between 239-249 in normal city/highway driving.
    I'm seldom above 210 anytime on the street. Average is about 195-200. Track temps are 240-245.

I'm seldom above 210 anytime on the street. Average is about 195-200. Track temps are 240-245.
    What kind of climate do you live in? I think me being in FL also has something to do with the temps always being a little warm.

Also, I think having the issue with the oil temp warning coming on pre-maturely and needing that TSB fix which might affect how it reads across the entire range.

What kind of climate do you live in? I think me being in FL also has something to do with the temps always being a little warm.

Also, I think having the issue with the oil temp warning coming on pre-maturely and needing that TSB fix which might affect how it reads across the entire range.
    Wisconsin's a lot cooler than Florida. Try putting a star washer on the ground strap from the battery. Poor grounding is a primary issue with oil temp warning problems. This is step one. It worked for me.

Wisconsin's a lot cooler than Florida. Try putting a star washer on the ground strap from the battery. Poor grounding is a primary issue with oil temp warning problems. This is step one. It worked for me.
    Is that the strap that runs to right under where the hood strut is? I tried that a while back and didnt really notice anything. I think I'm taking it to the dealer later this month to have them do the re-flash.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Guys,

Any consensus on an oild cooler setup with kooks headers? Will the Katech plate work?

Also CU4IT, have you ran an accusump yet? I'd be interested to get som ideas on that. I'd prefer to keep all the accusump stuff up front, or if needed move the battery to the rear, and put the accumulator around there if absolutely necesarry. I'm not a big fan of having oil lines run to the trunk

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    Guys,

Any consensus on an oild cooler setup with kooks headers? Will the Katech plate work?

Also CU4IT, have you ran an accusump yet? I'd be interested to get som ideas on that. I'd prefer to keep all the accusump stuff up front, or if needed move the battery to the rear, and put the accumulator around there if absolutely necesarry. I'm not a big fan of having oil lines run to the trunk

-Chris
    The Katech will not work with Kooks. Here is a new product Chris but I don't know if it will work. http://www.improvedracing.com/adapte...gine-p-68.html. It wasn't available when I did my set up so I went with the remote filter. I've been thinking about an Accusump as well. Running oil lines under the car is my concern as well. There isn't much room for the accumulator unless you consider running it in the fender well. I have heard that's been done.

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Don't remeber the details on the vin # cutoff for the TSB you mentioned, but my 04 fell within the range. I was seeing high oil temp readings down south in southern WI until doing the TSB. Get the TSB done for consistent monitoring.

The Katech will not work with Kooks. Here is a new product Chris but I don't know if it will work. http://www.improvedracing.com/adapte...gine-p-68.html. It wasn't available when I did my set up so I went with the remote filter. I've been thinking about an Accusump as well. Running oil lines under the car is my concern as well. There isn't much room for the accumulator unless you consider running it in the fender well. I have heard that's been done.
    Do you have a routing/line diagram for the accusump? I'm not up to speed on them yet.

I dropped a request to IR, to see if anyone else has been a guinea pig yet for V+kooks (long shot I know), and then asking what their return policy is, if it doesn't work. I'll let you guys know. I may just order and try.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    Do you have a routing/line diagram for the accusump? I'm not up to speed on them yet.

I dropped a request to IR, to see if anyone else has been a guinea pig yet for V+kooks (long shot I know), and then asking what their return policy is, if it doesn't work. I'll let you guys know. I may just order and try.

-Chris
    So IR got back to me. They aren't sure if it will work. I may give it a shot.

Do you guys think the accusump would fit where the battery is located, if I got a relocation kit, and moved it to the trunk?

I put together a rought buy list to do a Oil Cooler accusump combo (nothing is cheap...UGGH).

Can you guys sanity check this:

ACCUSUMP: https://www.cantonracingproducts.com
    Oil Accumulator:
    24-006 - ACCUSUMP 3QT NO VALVE (24-006) 16" x 4 ¼” $246.00
    OR
    24-026 - ACCUSUMP 2QT NO VALVE (24-026) 12" x 4 ¼” $228.00
    Electric Valve:
    24-271 - ACCUSUMP EPC VALVE 20-25 PSI $242.00
    Accessories:
    24-200 - ACCUSUMP MOUNTING CLAMPS 2/3 QT $ 20.40
    24-500 - LIQUID FILLED SS GAUGE 0-160 PSI (24-500) $ 37.20

OIL COOLER: http://www.improvedracing.com
    Cooler:
    Mocal 19-Row 235mm -10AN Oil Cooler (A19A10) $185.00
    Adapter:
    Low-Profile Oil Cooler Adapter for LS-Series Engine $139.00
    [IR-EGM-1006]
    Thermostat:
    Mocal -10AN Remote Oil Thermostat (A0T2-3) $149.00
    Accessories:
    Setrab Oil Cooler Mounting Bracket (ABKT-235) $ 24.95

Fittings and Hoses: http://www.jegs.com (note: will need to call to place order)
    Hose:
    Aeroquip Starlight Racing Hose (10AN, 20 feet FCU1020) $199.99
    Aeroquip firesleeve flame shield (FBS1300 10 feet) $179.00
    Check Valve (for accusump):
    JEGS One-Way Check Valve -10AN (#555-150013) $ 54.99
    Fittings:
    Aeroquip 10 AN Straight Swivel Fitting (FCM1014) x10 $179.99
    Aeroquip 10AN 45deg Reusable Al. Swivel (FCM4024) x1 $37.99
    Aeroquip 10AN 90deg Reusable Al. Swivel (FCM4034) x3 $113.97
    Aeroquip 10 AN Female ON THE RUN TEE (FCM2257) x1 $46.99
    Aeroquip AN to NPT Adapter 10 AN – ½” (FCM2010) x1 $13.99

Also, any thoughts on how to possibly reduce the price? hoses/fittings seem to be $800+ of the price. Is there a way to reduce that cost?

-Chris
    Attached Images

Your routing looks correct and tidy. I'd still look at the inside fender well behind the plastic tub for a mount to see if it's workable. It's clean in there, it's the closest spot to return oil from and it requires the least amount of line.
    If your only using Accusump on the track, why not go with a manual valve?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.