AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by crankedupforit Check out the Plus Nut kit in the link for $25.00. wow that isnt bad at ...
    smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Re: Putting together oil cooler kit... have some Q's / need some advice

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Check out the Plus Nut kit in the link for $25.00.
    wow that isnt bad at all.

V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Self-tapping screw (drills the hole then screws in) and a piece of flat bar steel. Can buy the screws and flat bar at Lowes. Then I put the bar in a vise and bent it to give it about 1in drop to line up with the bottom of the PS mount.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by V-Therapy View Post
    Self-tapping screw (drills the hole then screws in) and a piece of flat bar steel. Can buy the screws and flat bar at Lowes. Then I put the bar in a vise and bent it to give it about 1in drop to line up with the bottom of the PS mount.
    That could work also. One thing to consider is how many turns of thread from the screws will be in the bumper brace though? That material is pretty thin. Will it hold the weight of the cooler without pulling out?

V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Valid concern. I've put about 2K miles on it and 3 trackdays since the cooler install. Re-checked it during the Maggie install and it was tight.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Here's my mount. I attached to the PS bracket on one end and used this flat bar on the other. I pulled mine back off and painted it black (high temp paint) to conceal it.
    That's not gonna work - it doesn't even have any hoses attached to it! Duurrrrrrr!!!

Here's my mount. I attached to the PS bracket on one end and used this flat bar on the other. I pulled mine back off and painted it black (high temp paint) to conceal it.
    That does look tidy though.

Paisan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V, 04 Armada, 11 STi Hatch

Have you upgraded your PS cooler? If you are tracking you will need that plus the Redline PS Fluid.

Any chance of pics of the hose routing and the connection to the oil filter etc?

-mike

Have you upgraded your PS cooler? If you are tracking you will need that plus the Redline PS Fluid.

Any chance of pics of the hose routing and the connection to the oil filter etc?

-mike

rjoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I agree with the Redline Fluid, but not 100% sure on the cooler. We have had lots of discussions in the past about this. Here are a few examples:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...uid-temps.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-cooler-3.html

I have tracked my car a lot and the orientation and size of the stock cooler for tracks that have significant turns will not be sufficient. I didn't have problems at pocono where there is long spots for cooling. However on Thunderbolt and Monticello the cooler was needed. It certainly can't hurt considering they are very inexpensive.

-mike

After looking at how I can route the hose, I have a few concerns... should I have the hose go on the inside (between motor mount and block) or outside (between motor mount and exhaust manifold)? I found a line coming from the back of the alternator going right next to the engine block, on the inside of the motor mount, so I am thinking I might follow that routing....

Any tips for routing?

Inside of the motor mount (yellow UUC) is correct. Red striped hose is the cooler line.

Also, I have a remote filter, but you can see the red striped cooler line coming forward over the sway bar bushing on the right hand side.

wow, those pics really help with routing!! thanks!!!

well i just finished the oil cooler install... started at 7pm and finished about half an hour ago. I still need to put the grille back together tomorrow and button everything up. Wasn't too bad, but I definitely dont feel like doing it again. It probably wouldnt have been so bad if I had a "kit" and didnt have to create everything from scratch.

A few things that I noticed during the install....

save yourself the bruised and bloody knuckles and get an AN wrench!! this will also help save your fittings from being chewed up by a normal adjustable / monkey wrench.

when using the Katech oil cooler adapter, the lower (out) line can't be routed on the inside of the motor mount; it must be routed on the outside (exhaust) side of the motor mount. This is due to the angle of the OUT port and any fitting you use will contact a bolt coming down from the block (I'll post pics up later of this). I wrapped the lines in DEI cool-tape so I shouldnt have any issue as it is far away from the exhaust and almost hugging the outside of the motor mount. Plus, this Aeroquip StarLite racing hose is supposed to hold up to some SERIOUS temps, so I'm not worried at all. My OUT line goes on the outside of the motor mount and my IN line goes on the inside of the motor mount. The only thing I dont like about the IN line on the inside of the motor mount is how sharp the hose has to bend to go around the motor mount and then up into the fitting. It's not kinked, but I think I would have actually preferred to run it on the outside to keep the hose straighter.

Honestly, the install went fairly smooth except for the fact I needed a bit that I could drill through steel with, and had to get a drill from Home Depot that I could fit in a tight space, behind the bumper area, to drill out the holes for the bracket. That just chewed up time.

Also, the HARDEST part of the install was getting the oil filter off, lol, no joke... that bitch was welded on there and I fought with that thing for like a good straight hour...

I am very happy how everything turned out; especially this bracket that I created... I'll post a ton of pics tomorrow. time for bed, 4 hours until i wake up for work, ugh....

quick question; how do i monitor for any backpressure the oil cooler system could create? do I just keep an eye on oil pressure? It appears it is idling at 41 psi cold right now....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.