Cadillac Owners Forum banner

AAIIIC's oil cooler thread

76K views 177 replies 33 participants last post by  AAIIIC 
G
#1 ·
I am thinking about selling a complete oil cooler kit. Would anyone be interested? It would be roughly $400-450 plus shipping.

The kit would include everything needed to install an oil cooler (with integrated fan and thermostat to automatically turn the fan on and off) and a larger power steering cooler. It would include braided stainless steel lines with -AN fittings, a new bracket that holds the two coolers and replaces the stock power steering cooler mount and a sandwich style filter adapter. I have had one on my car for about 6 months and it keeps the oil about 20°F cooler.

G
#6 ·
It would pretty much be plug and play. The only time consuming part is wiring the power for the fan. You splice into a switched power wire under the steering column and run a ground wire to an existing ground on the passenger side front frame rail. I actually bypassed the thermostat on mine and installed a toggle switch where the cigarette lighter used to be. Other than that, you install the sandwich adapter above the oil filter, remove the stock PS cooler and bracket, place the cooler assembly where the stock PS one was and attach with the two stock nuts, run the braided and insulated lines and attach both ends.

On the track, I used to see oil temps of about 240. But with the cooler, I haven't seen above 225.

What kind of temps we talking here? I've seen coolers that don't have fans that run the oil too low for me as a DD nontrack car. I am interested in cooling the oil for when I get to sit in this wonderful Atlanta traffic and it is 110 degrees outside and the pavement is 130, for the longevity of the engine. But after reading into it, the coolers would keep my oil too cold. Does that make any sense? Am I mistaken?

Integrated PS cooler is an added plus. :thumbsup:
I have my radiator fans set to come on earlier than stock and during the summer (80 deg F) my coolant and oil both run about 180 deg, with the oil cooler fan off. If you use the thermostat on the cooler, it is set to turn the fan on at 180 deg. I'm also looking into a sandwich adapter that only allows 10% of the oil to pass to the cooler until 180 deg, then it opens to allow all of the oil to route to the cooler. You could always put an inline valve on the oil supply line and manually close it during the cooler weather.

Already working on one ;) haha.. Damn you need a job, your on the same thought patter as us!
Funny, I have a full time job that takes me away from this fun stuff for a total of 12 hours per day! That includes driving for 2 hours and 40 minutes where I dream up these ideas.

#3 ·
What kind of temps we talking here? I've seen coolers that don't have fans that run the oil too low for me as a DD nontrack car. I am interested in cooling the oil for when I get to sit in this wonderful Atlanta traffic and it is 110 degrees outside and the pavement is 130, for the longevity of the engine. But after reading into it, the coolers would keep my oil too cold. Does that make any sense? Am I mistaken?

Integrated PS cooler is an added plus. :thumbsup:

#11 · (Edited)
Here's a few ideas Adam/Pisinuoff. The fittings should be 10AN for the best flow and should include a Mocal thermostat made for LS engines (see link).They are the cleanest simplest solutions IMO. The lines should be pre cut to fit. Also I wouldn't get carried away with to many rows either. Here is the link for the thermostat.

http://www.improvedracing.com/product_info.php?products_id=33 Check out the mounting pics.

The mounts should be stainless steel the lines should be routed so the whole setup is nice and tidy. You put something like that together and I'll be your first customer. I think this could come in at a pretty attractive price. Just don't see the need for the fan and all. My .02

G
#7 ·
I thought about a dry sump system for a minute. But, I was concerned about finding a place for the sump and fabricating brackets and such. I already have all of the lines, parts and bracket ready for this type of system.

#8 ·
So I'm assuming with the toggle switch, you could flip it on during track days and/or hot days. Does the kit you would sell include the toggle switch and put it in the cigarette lighter?

G
#9 ·
Yes, the toggle switch allows you to control when the fan turns on. I only turn it on when on the track for that extra bit of cooling. I could get anyone that wants one a toggle switch. I fabbed up a washer to sandwich the change holder's plastic as the hole was too big for the switch. I have a picture of it but don't have the cable to hook up my camera to the computer with me. I'll post it tomorrow.

I think to keep the temp up during cooler weather the shutoff/bypass valve would be the best option.

#24 ·
Very nice. I don't use that cigarette lighter to power anything anyway and I don't smoke. Seems to get in the way when I go to 5th. This would definitely be good for track days as well as hot days. I am interested.

#25 ·
Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Just aheads up for anyone who might be interested in this piece. Nice Mocal item that incorporated a sandwich plate and built in thermostat for LS engines so you can run your 10AN lines straight to an oil cooler from the oil filter mount. I had a chance to get a look at one while my car was up on the lift. Unfortunately this thing will never fit a V with headers. Save the $175. Lingenfelter or Katech have a plate but you'll have to buy an inline thermostat. A setup like that will cost you $175 to $200. Just thought I'd pass that along.

#28 ·
Re: Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Yes that's right. the LS Mocal plate was to big to fit with headers. The spin on sandwich plates with the built in thermostat require remote oil filter which is a pain in the ass, so the LS Mocal looked good at first. I wound up with the Lingenfelter plate and the Mocal inline thermostat. I was trying to get away from the inline thermostat because you need a place to mount it and it carries some oil in the lines when it is closed.

#30 ·

The spin on sandwich plates with the built in thermostat require remote oil filter ...
I'm not sure I follow you there. Mocal makes sandwich plates with the t-stat built in, like I linked before, and the filter just sits below the sandwich plate. I just figured that style wouldn't fit into the somewhat restricted space we have because the t-stat portion of the sandwich plate protrudes out from the body of the plate.

I was trying to get away from the inline thermostat because you need a place to mount it and it carries some oil in the lines when it is closed.
Not only that but it adds to the cost of doing all this. An extra $30-40 since you have to buy 2 separate parts, and then another $30-40 extra because you have to buy 4 additional AN fittings.

#29 ·
#31 ·

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of the block off plate. Anyway, the sandwich plate would be a good idea. It's strange that Katech and Lingtenfelter don't carry something like that. And why did Mocal make that new LS thermostat adapter plate when a thermostat sandwich plate would work?. That being said going with a sandwich plate is not at all a bad choice. One thing about the adapter plate over a sandwich plate is that you don't worry about loosening the sandwich plate when you spin off the oil filter for an oil change. Also the adapter plate only sends filtered oil to the cooler and I'm not sure that the sandwich plate does (??). Lastly it has been said that the adapter plate flows better and has less of a pressure drop than a sandwich plate. You can replace the thermostat seperately with an adapter plate set up. In the long run I'm not sure if any of this makes a real difference. If I knew a sandwich plate would fit and was the right price, I'd do it. I think your comment about the t-stat protruding out to far may be the problem. With headers it makes it worse.

#32 ·

would this be a pretty good idea to purchase this setup for the track? crankedupforit, i'm trying to go to autobahn june 7th, maybe i'll be able to check out your setup then if you have it installed

#34 ·

would this be a pretty good idea to purchase this setup for the track? crankedupforit, i'm trying to go to autobahn june 7th, maybe i'll be able to check out your setup then if you have it installed
No worries. I should have it on by then. You can check out the Fidanza twin as well.

#33 ·

I have a Mocal thermostat plate sitting at home, waiting to go on my Subie. When I change the oil on the V again in the next couple weeks I'll eyeball the fitment (the thread on the adapter is different, so I can't actually bolt it up, but I can just hold it in place to see how/if it fits). Looking at pictures of the oil filter area again, I'm pretty sure the thing just wouldn't fit, which would explain why LPE and Mocal created their LS-specific parts.

The sandwich plate actually bolts in place - the adapter piece gets tightened with a wrench on in place of the oil filter, if that makes any sense. You can see the hex head in the link I posted earlier. Subarus (among other cars) come with a factory oil-to-water cooler that mounts between the block and filter and uses the same sort of adapter to hold it in place; I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that coming loose.

But anyway... I agree that the LPE/Mocal adapter that bolts on above the filter is a slicker solution, and I'll probably end up with the same setup you've got going, cranked, since I'll have Kooks installed in the next couple weeks.

#35 ·

I have a Mocal thermostat plate sitting at home, waiting to go on my Subie. When I change the oil on the V again in the next couple weeks I'll eyeball the fitment (the thread on the adapter is different, so I can't actually bolt it up, but I can just hold it in place to see how/if it fits). Looking at pictures of the oil filter area again, I'm pretty sure the thing just wouldn't fit, which would explain why LPE and Mocal created their LS-specific parts.

The sandwich plate actually bolts in place - the adapter piece gets tightened with a wrench on in place of the oil filter, if that makes any sense. You can see the hex head in the link I posted earlier. Subarus (among other cars) come with a factory oil-to-water cooler that mounts between the block and filter and uses the same sort of adapter to hold it in place; I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that coming loose.

But anyway... I agree that the LPE/Mocal adapter that bolts on above the filter is a slicker solution, and I'll probably end up with the same setup you've got going, cranked, since I'll have Kooks installed in the next couple weeks.
I had a buddy who had trouble with his sandwich plate always leaking on his Mazda. He claimed it was from the death grip he had on the oil filter to remove it. I doubt it would be a problem with a quality piece like Mocal. Those would probably never loosen. Besides you know what you're doing and my buddy isn't that swift.
I'm going to put up a power steering cooler as well. http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?form_prod_id=564_812&action=product
You can't find anything smaller that is better than the stocker. You can get a better price on the 9 pass tube and fin cooler if you shop around. Someone did a write up a few years ago using the 6 pass and it looked pretty tidy. You can't get the 6 pass anymore so I'll try to mount the 9. I got mine for $40. Should be easy since the lines are already there and all you need to do is mount it. I'll try to get some pics of the install. I'm shooting for the day after memorial day.

#37 ·

Thats the one. I wish the 6 pass coolers were still in production. They are hard to find.

BTW the FAQ link is poison! I just opened it and it froze up my lap top and lost my log in to the forum.

G
#40 ·

Derale also makes a sandwich adapter that has a thermostat in it, opens at 180°F. It fits with my B&B headers. I have 90° -8AN fittings but I'm sure there is plenty of room to get the -10AN fittings in there. I won't see my V until July, or else I'd take a picture of it for you.

#41 ·

The Derale piece looks like it could be nice, but the ports are only 3/8" NPT, which is a little small (equivalent to only -6AN). Not the end of the world, I guess, and looks like that might be the easiest option to go with, but it's a shame they couldn't at least go to 1/2" NPT ports.

crankedupforit, I got your PM, but your PM box is full, so I couldn't send you a reply.

#43 ·

The Derale piece looks like it could be nice, but the ports are only 3/8" NPT, which is a little small (equivalent to only -6AN). Not the end of the world, I guess, and looks like that might be the easiest option to go with, but it's a shame they couldn't at least go to 1/2" NPT ports.

crankedupforit, I got your PM, but your PM box is full, so I couldn't send you a reply.
All cleared out. Thanks

#42 ·

are you using the derale #25720 ? how is that working out?? I have got to do something and that seems like it would work nice fitting, braided hose, any type of cooler for that matter, right?? seems easy enough.

#46 ·

Update? I need a cooler. Kept hitting the warning this past weekend. I partially blame the Mobil 1 I threw in as a last resort, as I never have this much oil temp issue with Amsoil. Still, I would like to cool it off.

#47 ·

Update? I need a cooler. Kept hitting the warning this past weekend. I partially blame the Mobil 1 I threw in as a last resort, as I never have this much oil temp issue with Amsoil. Still, I would like to cool it off.
Headers are the culprit. Even the Katech /Lingenfelter plates don't give you much room to run the lines. I tried it. It don't work. Remote filter may be the only option. $$$

#48 ·

Lame. This sucks. My water temps were fine (and when I've got hot there, I just turn the 'ac on' and set the temp to 90 degrees). I needs me an oil cooler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.