AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I decided after my last track outing with oil temps around 300* and i'll be running the car in Florida, ...
    smbstyle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Putting together oil cooler kit... have some Q's / need some advice

I decided after my last track outing with oil temps around 300* and i'll be running the car in Florida, primarily at Sebring, since it is so close, I need an oil cooler.

Ive decided on the Mocal Matrix 235 oil cooler (19 row) which is 5 3/4" tall, 13" wide and 2" thick, along with running the Katech oil cooler adapter for LSx blocks, and Aeroquip 90* fittings for the oil cooler and a 90* and 45* fitting for the Katech adapter (see pics of why running different angle fittings), and will use the Aeroquip kevlar hose (10 ft should suffice).

First off, does all of that sound good? anyone have experience with the Mocal oil coolers or the Katech adapter? Is 10 ft of hose enough?

I have decided against running a thermostat because I only drive the car about 5 miles each way to work 2 days a week, and even then the oil temps dont get over 180* (I am bringing this up because many have said that you want to run the thermostat due to optimal oil temps being around 220-240*, but I wouldn't get up to that regardless). Not only that, but Im driving in south FL weather and havent seen the temps drop below 40* here.

Mounting:

Right now I am trying to decide on a mounting point. I have decided that I may make a bracket to attach to the backside of the metal bumper that I can attach the oil cooler to. It will be centered and will allow the oil cooler to hang down in the opening of where the lower grille is. This bracket will be angled a bit on both sides to contour to the angle of the metal bumper (it is not straight across), with the middle 13" section of the bracket straight across, that way I can mount the Mocal oil cooler mounting kit to that.

I was also considering the idea of replacing the power steering cooler bracket with one that will support the oil cooler as well, but have decided against this due to aesthetic reasons. Since the grille is blacked out, and the Mocal oil cooler is a silver color, it will definitely be visible through the mesh grille.

I have a question though; does it matter if the fittings/openings of the oil cooler are facing up or down when mounted?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: Putting together oil cooler kit... have some Q's / need some advice

Do you have headers on the car or intend to add them later?

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    Do you have headers on the car or intend to add them later?
    no i have no plan on adding headers. the only engine mods i think i would do would be intake and tune, if that.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Mocal is good stuff. That's the same size as the cooler I've got, I think. I still haven't installed mine, need to get to that before launching back into the open track season this year.

As for which way to mount the fittings, I've seen that debated a number of times, and I'm not sure there's really a "right answer".

- Some people will tell you that if the cooler inlet and outlet are pointing down, then you'll get air trapped in the cooler and thus at least some of the cooler won't be doing it's job. However, in my junkyard scavenging, I've seen lots and lots of OEM transmission coolers or oil coolers mounted with the inlet and outlet pointing down, so I don't think that's really a problem.

- Some people will tell you that if the cooler inlet and outlet are pointing up, that the cooler will never drain when you change the oil. But others will say that the cooler is siphoned out. I've seen OEM coolers mounted with the inlet and outlet pointing up, too, so I don't think that's a concern. (Although I do think, based on my gut feeling, that the longer the hoses are, the more likely it is that the siphon effect won't be strong enough to suck the cooler dry.)

- I'm pretty sure mine is going to end up mounted with the inlet and outlet pointed to the side. I've read differing comments about that orientation, too, based on whether the inlet or outlet should be mounted higher. I'm not sure it really matters, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My intention is to mount mine hanging down from the radiator core support. The back of the oil cooler will basically be right against the front of the condenser up on the passenger side. That plan may not survive contact with the enemy, though, so we'll see.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Small Mocal matrix cooler mounted in lower grill. I went with a smaller cooler in a spot where I thought I would get the best air flow and not heat sync from the radiator.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

That oil cooler setup sounds a lot like my power steering cooler.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ng-cooler.html

Small Mocal matrix cooler mounted in lower grill. I went with a smaller cooler in a spot where I thought I would get the best air flow and not heat sync from the radiator.

exactly how I want to do mine! how did you mount it to the metal bumper?? can you go into detail? that's the one part that I'm trying to figure out (I figured I'd have to rivet the bracket into the bumper because from what I can see theres no way to put a bolt through the back side since it is enclosed).

Also, how hard is it to get the aeroquip fittings onto the hoses? any special tools needed to make sure it is done right?

Here is a top view of the mounting. You can see the L brackets and how they are mounted. I'll get you the commercial name of the swaged (I think thats what you call them) mounting bolts. Sorry for the crappy picture but you get the idea. Measure carefully. A big cooler might have the 90 fittings hanging pretty low. A local shop plumbed up the cooler since mine had a remote oil filter setup becasue of the headers and required lots of starlite plumbing. Sorry for the crappy pic. You can see the Mocal inline thermostat in the bottom right.

Here is a top view of the mounting. You can see the L brackets and how they are mounted. I'll get you the commercial name of the swaged (I think thats what you call them) mounting bolts. Sorry for the crappy picture but you get the idea. Measure carefully. A big cooler might have the 90 fittings hanging pretty low. A local shop plumbed up the cooler since mine had a remote oil filter setup becasue of the headers and required lots of starlite plumbing. Sorry for the crappy pic. You can see the Mocal inline thermostat in the bottom right.
    yes if you can get me the name of those bolts that would be great. Those L brackets look great; where did you get them at? Did you have any problem mounting them directly to the cooler with the bumper being angled, causing the L brackets to be cocked inward?

yooper is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV and Caddy powered Chevy

Here is the source for the mounting hardware. Check out the design guide. There are some options or you can call them. I can't exactly recall which ones I used because the shop guys gave them to me. It's an expensive kit because you need the tool to insert.
    You may want to see if you can get it at a tool rental place or buy the hand tool kit.

My brackets were fabbed up. Here is a resource for some ready mades

http://www.sheetmetalfabrication.com...e-brackets.htm

And.....at the risk of to much information, here is how Rivnut works. Also look at Nutsert and Rivetnut for alternatives ( no notch i think)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_uu_ba6qAM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8oMH...eature=related

http://www.cardinalcomponents.com/rivnutkits.html

hm... i might just opt for the standard rivets instead of these, dont feel like spending a TON on just bolting solutions.

Check out the Plus Nut kit in the link for $25.00.

V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Here's my mount. I attached to the PS bracket on one end and used this flat bar on the other. I pulled mine back off and painted it black (high temp paint) to conceal it.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by V-Therapy View Post
    Here's my mount. I attached to the PS bracket on one end and used this flat bar on the other. I pulled mine back off and painted it black (high temp paint) to conceal it.
    What kind of hardware did you use to attach that bracket to the front bumper?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.