AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Update? I need a cooler. Kept hitting the warning this past weekend. I partially blame the Mobil 1 I threw ...
    UnsafeAtAnySpd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero

Re: Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Update? I need a cooler. Kept hitting the warning this past weekend. I partially blame the Mobil 1 I threw in as a last resort, as I never have this much oil temp issue with Amsoil. Still, I would like to cool it off.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd View Post
    Update? I need a cooler. Kept hitting the warning this past weekend. I partially blame the Mobil 1 I threw in as a last resort, as I never have this much oil temp issue with Amsoil. Still, I would like to cool it off.
    Headers are the culprit. Even the Katech /Lingenfelter plates don't give you much room to run the lines. I tried it. It don't work. Remote filter may be the only option. $$$

Lame. This sucks. My water temps were fine (and when I've got hot there, I just turn the 'ac on' and set the temp to 90 degrees). I needs me an oil cooler.

V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Need help with oil cooler

I am a fairly new V owner and this is my first post on the forum. There's a ton of great info but after days of searching, I just can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Any advice on adding an oil cooler to a '05 V? Anyone find a good complete kit somewhere? Tips on where to mount it? Since there's already a PS cooler, I'm concerned about adding another cooler and obstructing air flow to the main radiator.

Would a lower temp thermostat be a good alternative for track days?

Thanks.

Re: Need help with oil cooler

"Pissinuoff" has a cooler set up. He may be helpful on this. Here is what I've learned so far. First, if your car has headers, there are some challenges. If your car doesn't have headers then Katech or Lingenfelter has an bolt on cooler adapters (10AN) that allow you to have the factory oil filter location but you must by an inline thermostat. Or you can purchase the Mocal adapter with a built in thermostat. If you have headers then you can go to smaller 8AN fittings and use the Derale adapter which allows you to have the factory oil filter location. If you want to go to 10AN fittings (my preference) and you have headers, then you will have to get a remote filter set up because space is very tight and I can't see how to make the lines fit. The tough part is finding a place to mount the filter. Inside the fender well looks like the best spot I've located so far. Now I have never met anyone yet that has a cooler with headers except Pissinuoff. I hear he has a top shelf set up with the 8AN fittings. If anyone has done 10AN with headers and the stock filter location it would be great to hear from you.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

You can look at components at Canton Racing as well as the usual places like Summit Racing and Jegs. There is ample room in front of the existing radiator for an oil cooler. In fact, even if it were mounted horizotally it would likely provide adequate cooling since just running the oil through the lines and back can drop the temperature significantly.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Since you're new to the V community and asking about an oil cooler, I have to wonder if you're getting the erroneous oil temp readings that are a common problem, particularly on the '04 and '05 cars. Check this thread for more info.

Now, assuming that's taken care of and you still want an oil cooler, crankedupforit laid out the obstacles pretty well. This has been discussed a number of times (see here or here, for example), with links to where you can get the parts and everything, so I'm not sure what searching you did that didn't turn up any info.

Obstructing the airflow won't be an issue, and particularly the PS cooler has nothing to do with it. If you look at where the PS cooler is mounted you'll see it's not obstructing the airflow at all - it's tucked up behind the bumper beam, and isn't even mounted in the airflow.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

PISNUOFF Guest

I've made a setup for my car. The best place to put one is where the stock ps cooler is. Replace the pa cooler with a larger one and make a bracket to hold both the ps and oil cooler in a vertical position. Pm me if you have any questions as I'm on my phone now.

Very interested in this topic as well. I've decided that I NEED an oil cooler. I also have headers.

V-Therapy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I've made a setup for my car. The best place to put one is where the stock ps cooler is. Replace the pa cooler with a larger one and make a bracket to hold both the ps and oil cooler in a vertical position. Pm me if you have any questions as I'm on my phone now.
    I've got a lot of good information on adapter plates. The main pieces I was missing is on the size of the cooler and good ideas for mounting. Sounds like PISNUOFF has a good setup. Also, Luke at Lindsay had put together a kit.

PISNUOFF,
    Unfortunately, I can't send you a private message. The site won't let me do PMs because I haven't been a member long enough or posted enough. I'd really like to get more details about what you have. Where did you get the dual oil/ps cooler? Pictures of your mount?

Thanks

PISNUOFF Guest

I sent you a PM

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

-8 is pretty small for our engines. -10 would be better.

BigDz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

I have an '04 -V with BB headers and put an oil cooler on. I sourced all my own parts from racerpartswholesale. I tried to use the Mocal remote thermostat and Lingenfelter adapter plate. However, there is really no good place to mount the thermostat on a V. The most logical spot was above the steering rack and sway. But I gave up when I saw the new LS adapter with built in thermostat. Even with headers it has about 1 -1/2" of clearance. I built a mounting bracket for the cooler from scratch using 1" aluminum angle sourced from the hardware store plus a few stainless self tapping screws. I mounted the lower part to the frame of the AC condenser using several small self tapping screws. The upper part was fastened to the existing PS cooler. I used the Mocal 235 - 16 row cooler and AN10 hose. qty 3 - 90 degree and one straight AN10 fitting. I also bought a 10' piece of AN10 stainless hose. Mounting was the most interesting part. BUT IT WAS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! Take your time and plan the mount. With the new LS Thermostat adapter plate, the plumbing was the easy part. Hoses are easy to make. There are a few websites which show you how to do it. I cut the tubing with a air powered abrasive cutoff saw. A stock oil filter would be difficult to remove. I have moved to a AC PF61 (long style) filter anyways for better flow. Its not a problem. There was a small plastic cover plate over the clutch bell housing I did trim though.

Now the results: I just ran the set up at Road America on Monday. I still saw temperatures on the display of 305 - 315F. Lower than last year by 20F. However, keep in mind that this is the temp in the pan coming off of the pistons. The cooler circuit is after the pickup and filter. The only true temp is at the cooler. You can put a factory sender on the adapter and I would recommend it. I have not done this yet. I do a lot of highway driving and last summer saw oil temps typically 275 to 300F. This summer, it never went above 255F. Therefore, I know its working well.

Next month is a new cam!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDz View Post
    I have an '04 -V with BB headers and put an oil cooler on. I sourced all my own parts from racerpartswholesale. I tried to use the Mocal remote thermostat and Lingenfelter adapter plate. However, there is really no good place to mount the thermostat on a V. The most logical spot was above the steering rack and sway. But I gave up when I saw the new LS adapter with built in thermostat. Even with headers it has about 1 -1/2" of clearance. I built a mounting bracket for the cooler from scratch using 1" aluminum angle sourced from the hardware store plus a few stainless self tapping screws. I mounted the lower part to the frame of the AC condenser using several small self tapping screws. The upper part was fastened to the existing PS cooler. I used the Mocal 235 - 16 row cooler and AN10 hose. qty 3 - 90 degree and one straight AN10 fitting. I also bought a 10' piece of AN10 stainless hose. Mounting was the most interesting part. BUT IT WAS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE! Take your time and plan the mount. With the new LS Thermostat adapter plate, the plumbing was the easy part. Hoses are easy to make. There are a few websites which show you how to do it. I cut the tubing with a air powered abrasive cutoff saw. A stock oil filter would be difficult to remove. I have moved to a AC PF61 (long style) filter anyways for better flow. Its not a problem. There was a small plastic cover plate over the clutch bell housing I did trim though.

Now the results: I just ran the set up at Road America on Monday. I still saw temperatures on the display of 305 - 315F. Lower than last year by 20F. However, keep in mind that this is the temp in the pan coming off of the pistons. The cooler circuit is after the pickup and filter. The only true temp is at the cooler. You can put a factory sender on the adapter and I would recommend it. I have not done this yet. I do a lot of highway driving and last summer saw oil temps typically 275 to 300F. This summer, it never went above 255F. Therefore, I know its working well.

Next month is a new cam!
    God Bless you man! I would die for some pics of your install. If you figured out how to use the Mocal adapter with the built in thermostat that would be a game changer for me. I can figure out the cooler mount I just need to see the way you got everything to fit between the adapter and the headers. I rang the bell several times at RA last month and outside of short shifting the cooler seems to be the only fix. Maybe I'll see you up there some day. The only wrinkle in this whole thing would be that the Kooks and the B&Bs have different bends in the tubes and the B&Bs have more room. Thanks

Mallett Hammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    God Bless you man! I would die for some pics of your install. If you figured out how to use the Mocal adapter with the built in thermostat that would be a game changer for me. I can figure out the cooler mount I just need to see the way you got everything to fit between the adapter and the headers. I rang the bell several times at RA last month and outside of short shifting the cooler seems to be the only fix. Maybe I'll see you up there some day. The only wrinkle in this whole thing would be that the Kooks and the B&Bs have different bends in the tubes and the B&Bs have more room. Thanks
    As soon as I get my RD radiator in this is going to be my next project. Pics would be sweet to see. I am also running the B&B headers so looks like that Mocal adapter will be what I need. The rest from there should be really pretty easy.

My next issue though it to figure out why my oil temp gauge is not working? It was nice to not have the bell going off, but then again knowing my oil temp would have been nicet too!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.