AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of the block off plate. Anyway, the sandwich plate would be a good ...
    crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Re: Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking of the block off plate. Anyway, the sandwich plate would be a good idea. It's strange that Katech and Lingtenfelter don't carry something like that. And why did Mocal make that new LS thermostat adapter plate when a thermostat sandwich plate would work?. That being said going with a sandwich plate is not at all a bad choice. One thing about the adapter plate over a sandwich plate is that you don't worry about loosening the sandwich plate when you spin off the oil filter for an oil change. Also the adapter plate only sends filtered oil to the cooler and I'm not sure that the sandwich plate does (??). Lastly it has been said that the adapter plate flows better and has less of a pressure drop than a sandwich plate. You can replace the thermostat seperately with an adapter plate set up. In the long run I'm not sure if any of this makes a real difference. If I knew a sandwich plate would fit and was the right price, I'd do it. I think your comment about the t-stat protruding out to far may be the problem. With headers it makes it worse.

rangerrob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Black Diamond CTS-V

would this be a pretty good idea to purchase this setup for the track? crankedupforit, i'm trying to go to autobahn june 7th, maybe i'll be able to check out your setup then if you have it installed

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I have a Mocal thermostat plate sitting at home, waiting to go on my Subie. When I change the oil on the V again in the next couple weeks I'll eyeball the fitment (the thread on the adapter is different, so I can't actually bolt it up, but I can just hold it in place to see how/if it fits). Looking at pictures of the oil filter area again, I'm pretty sure the thing just wouldn't fit, which would explain why LPE and Mocal created their LS-specific parts.

The sandwich plate actually bolts in place - the adapter piece gets tightened with a wrench on in place of the oil filter, if that makes any sense. You can see the hex head in the link I posted earlier. Subarus (among other cars) come with a factory oil-to-water cooler that mounts between the block and filter and uses the same sort of adapter to hold it in place; I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that coming loose.

But anyway... I agree that the LPE/Mocal adapter that bolts on above the filter is a slicker solution, and I'll probably end up with the same setup you've got going, cranked, since I'll have Kooks installed in the next couple weeks.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrob View Post
    would this be a pretty good idea to purchase this setup for the track? crankedupforit, i'm trying to go to autobahn june 7th, maybe i'll be able to check out your setup then if you have it installed
    No worries. I should have it on by then. You can check out the Fidanza twin as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I have a Mocal thermostat plate sitting at home, waiting to go on my Subie. When I change the oil on the V again in the next couple weeks I'll eyeball the fitment (the thread on the adapter is different, so I can't actually bolt it up, but I can just hold it in place to see how/if it fits). Looking at pictures of the oil filter area again, I'm pretty sure the thing just wouldn't fit, which would explain why LPE and Mocal created their LS-specific parts.

The sandwich plate actually bolts in place - the adapter piece gets tightened with a wrench on in place of the oil filter, if that makes any sense. You can see the hex head in the link I posted earlier. Subarus (among other cars) come with a factory oil-to-water cooler that mounts between the block and filter and uses the same sort of adapter to hold it in place; I've never heard of anyone having a problem with that coming loose.

But anyway... I agree that the LPE/Mocal adapter that bolts on above the filter is a slicker solution, and I'll probably end up with the same setup you've got going, cranked, since I'll have Kooks installed in the next couple weeks.
    I had a buddy who had trouble with his sandwich plate always leaking on his Mazda. He claimed it was from the death grip he had on the oil filter to remove it. I doubt it would be a problem with a quality piece like Mocal. Those would probably never loosen. Besides you know what you're doing and my buddy isn't that swift.
    I'm going to put up a power steering cooler as well. http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
    You can't find anything smaller that is better than the stocker. You can get a better price on the 9 pass tube and fin cooler if you shop around. Someone did a write up a few years ago using the 6 pass and it looked pretty tidy. You can't get the 6 pass anymore so I'll try to mount the 9. I got mine for $40. Should be easy since the lines are already there and all you need to do is mount it. I'll try to get some pics of the install. I'm shooting for the day after memorial day.

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    I'm going to put up a power steering cooler as well. http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?fo...action=product
    You can't find anything smaller that is better than the stocker. You can get a better price on the 9 pass tube and fin cooler if you shop around. Someone did a write up a few years ago using the 6 pass and it looked pretty tidy. You can't get the 6 pass anymore so I'll try to mount the 9. I got mine for $40. Should be easy since the lines are already there and all you need to do is mount it. I'll try to get some pics of the install. I'm shooting for the day after memorial day.
    see this: http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...ler/index.html

PS cooler: FHP-10026
    I installed this a couple of years ago when I heard many V owners had PS fluid issues. I've never had a problem after install, tracked my V many times in the Texas heat.

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

Thats the one. I wish the 6 pass coolers were still in production. They are hard to find.

BTW the FAQ link is poison! I just opened it and it froze up my lap top and lost my log in to the forum.

Yeah, the FAQ is contaminated with some sort of virus. My Symantec quarantined it, but I still had to reboot to get out of IE. Not good.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

I just figured that style wouldn't fit into the somewhat restricted space we have because the t-stat portion of the sandwich plate protrudes out from the body of the plate.
    I changed my oil over the weekend and confirmed that the sandwich adapter (my spare Subaru one, but should be the same size as any other Mocal adapter) is just too big to fit in our cramped oil filter location. So basically the LPE or Mocal LS-specific adapters are the way to go.

PISNUOFF Guest

Derale also makes a sandwich adapter that has a thermostat in it, opens at 180°F. It fits with my B&B headers. I have 90° -8AN fittings but I'm sure there is plenty of room to get the -10AN fittings in there. I won't see my V until July, or else I'd take a picture of it for you.

The Derale piece looks like it could be nice, but the ports are only 3/8" NPT, which is a little small (equivalent to only -6AN). Not the end of the world, I guess, and looks like that might be the easiest option to go with, but it's a shame they couldn't at least go to 1/2" NPT ports.

crankedupforit, I got your PM, but your PM box is full, so I couldn't send you a reply.

verywhitedevil is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V

are you using the derale #25720 ? how is that working out?? I have got to do something and that seems like it would work nice fitting, braided hose, any type of cooler for that matter, right?? seems easy enough.

The Derale piece looks like it could be nice, but the ports are only 3/8" NPT, which is a little small (equivalent to only -6AN). Not the end of the world, I guess, and looks like that might be the easiest option to go with, but it's a shame they couldn't at least go to 1/2" NPT ports.

crankedupforit, I got your PM, but your PM box is full, so I couldn't send you a reply.
    All cleared out. Thanks

PISNUOFF Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by verywhitedevil View Post
    are you using the derale #25720 ? how is that working out?? I have got to do something and that seems like it would work nice fitting, braided hose, any type of cooler for that matter, right?? seems easy enough.
    That along with a cooler with an integral fan keeps my oil temp about 15 deg cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    That along with a cooler with an integral fan keeps my oil temp about 15 deg cooler.
    Brian
    Do you have headers?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.