AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by AAIIIC (Strangely enough, the SP1CT for 13/16" threads ('04 and '05, I think?) is $170, but the ...
    PISNUOFF Guest

re: AAIIIC's oil cooler thread

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    (Strangely enough, the SP1CT for 13/16" threads ('04 and '05, I think?) is $170, but the SP1GT for 22mm threads ('06 and '07?) is only $97. WTF?!)
    FYI - The '07 has different threads than the '06.

PISNUOFF Guest

C4SS - Here is a pic of my switch.
    Attached Images

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I use -8AN fittings and did not see any increase in oil pressure. I'm sure -10AN would flow more, but I'm not sure most of us need that much.
    Why/how would you see an increase in oil pressure by adding a restriction? Did you mean decrease? I'd be surprised if the bearings aren't now seeing less pressure due to the -8AN lines. If you search around forums with people that open track or road race their cars a lot you will find that -10AN is generally considered the minimum size you want to use. My Mustang's setup is -10AN, and the setup I'm putting on my Subaru (a little 2.5L engine, with 2/3 the oil system capacity of our LS motors and a lot shorter distance for oil to travel) is also -10AN. I strongly encourage you to reconsider the -8AN lines - I really thinking you're increasing the risk of bearing damage.

My current mount in my car is aluminum, but stainless would not be a problem ...
    Actually, I guess that would be one thing I didn't concur with on crankedupforit's post. There's really no reason to use stainless steel. Aluminum brackets will work just fine and weigh less, which is a good thing when you're mounting something way out on the nose of the car.

The dimensions of the plate and fin cooler are about 9x9, excluding the brackets.
    Roger that. What brand is the cooler?

FYI - The '07 has different threads than the '06.
    I couldn't remember if it was '06 or '07 when they changed, and I was too lazy to go find the oil filter thread in which that was just discussed last week.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

PISNUOFF Guest

Why/how would you see an increase in oil pressure by adding a restriction? Did you mean decrease? I'd be surprised if the bearings aren't now seeing less pressure due to the -8AN lines. If you search around forums with people that open track or road race their cars a lot you will find that -10AN is generally considered the minimum size you want to use. My Mustang's setup is -10AN, and the setup I'm putting on my Subaru (a little 2.5L engine, with 2/3 the oil system capacity of our LS motors and a lot shorter distance for oil to travel) is also -10AN. I strongly encourage you to reconsider the -8AN lines - I really thinking you're increasing the risk of bearing damage.
    Yeah, I meant decrease. I stare at the oil pressure all the time and the pressure did not change more than a couple psi. My pressure at idle is still in the low 30's and it's in the 70's at high rpms. Maybe I don't notice much because my pump has had work done to it? I'd still feel safe if it were down to low 20's at idle. I'll call the tech support of the manufacturer tomorrow. They have -8AN fittings on the cooler itself. I wonder if the plates in it will flow enough to support the -10AN fittings and hose. If the cooler will support it, I have no problem switching to a -10AN setup.

I couldn't remember if it was '06 or '07 when they changed, and I was too lazy to go find the oil filter thread in which that was just discussed last week.
    I didn't follow that thread. I only know because I looked in the filter book at Autozone and saw the '06 one first and bought that one. I figured it had to be the same as both are LS2's. Luckily I had another car to return to the store after I couldn't get the filter on!!!

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

The change to metric threads was in 2007. 04-06 were the same.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Actually, I guess that would be one thing I didn't concur with on crankedupforit's post. There's really no reason to use stainless steel. Aluminum brackets will work just fine and weigh less, which is a good thing when you're mounting something way out on the nose of the car.

I guess aluminum would be OK but that depends on the design of the bracket. You could wind up using a thinner guage in SS. SS is more durable. The down side is that you can't fart around bending it to much to make it fit if it is not dimensioned just right. Weight...mehh.....only a few ounces more. Probably fit and design is more important than material anyway. Cool thread BTW.

PS Setrab has some nice brackets and they are aluminum. I heard their coolers are good as well.

Yeah, I meant decrease. I stare at the oil pressure all the time and the pressure did not change more than a couple psi. My pressure at idle is still in the low 30's and it's in the 70's at high rpms. Maybe I don't notice much because my pump has had work done to it? I'd still feel safe if it were down to low 20's at idle. I'll call the tech support of the manufacturer tomorrow. They have -8AN fittings on the cooler itself. I wonder if the plates in it will flow enough to support the -10AN fittings and hose. If the cooler will support it, I have no problem switching to a -10AN setup.
    It could be that your pump is the difference - those numbers sound fine. It would be interesting to hear what Derale has to say.

Here's a bit of info from an oil cooler discussion over on corner-carvers.com: "It's not about the volume of oil in the system, but about flow. Because of greater cross sectional area and reduced parasitic wall drag, an AN10 line will flow more than 60% more fluid than an AN8 line for an equal length and pressure." That's a pretty significant improvement.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

It could be that your pump is the difference - those numbers sound fine. It would be interesting to hear what Derale has to say.

Here's a bit of info from an oil cooler discussion over on corner-carvers.com: "It's not about the volume of oil in the system, but about flow. Because of greater cross sectional area and reduced parasitic wall drag, an AN10 line will flow more than 60% more fluid than an AN8 line for an equal length and pressure." That's a pretty significant improvement.
    The 60% number may actually be an understatement - application of the standard pipe flow formula indicates a differential of just over 90%.

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

C4SS - Here is a pic of my switch.

Very nice. I don't use that cigarette lighter to power anything anyway and I don't smoke. Seems to get in the way when I go to 5th. This would definitely be good for track days as well as hot days. I am interested.

Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Just aheads up for anyone who might be interested in this piece. Nice Mocal item that incorporated a sandwich plate and built in thermostat for LS engines so you can run your 10AN lines straight to an oil cooler from the oil filter mount. I had a chance to get a look at one while my car was up on the lift. Unfortunately this thing will never fit a V with headers. Save the $175. Lingenfelter or Katech have a plate but you'll have to buy an inline thermostat. A setup like that will cost you $175 to $200. Just thought I'd pass that along.

Re: Mocal oil cooler thermostat

Just to be sure I understand, you're saying that a conventional sandwich plate style oil cooler take-off won't work, right? Like this style?

Or are you saying that with headers installed, this LS-specific Mocal adaptor won't work?
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Looking back, I see you had previously linked to the LS-specific adapter in another thread, so I'm assuming that's what you're talking about. The installed pics on the site you linked to show how far it sticks out, which I'm guessing is the problem.

Yes that's right. the LS Mocal plate was to big to fit with headers. The spin on sandwich plates with the built in thermostat require remote oil filter which is a pain in the ass, so the LS Mocal looked good at first. I wound up with the Lingenfelter plate and the Mocal inline thermostat. I was trying to get away from the inline thermostat because you need a place to mount it and it carries some oil in the lines when it is closed.

Here is the thermostat
    http://www.speedflowshop.co.uk/mocal...tors-147-c.asp It's a UK site but you can find these all over.

Here is the plate
    http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C54

I have these items but will not mount them until next week. MVP track day is comiing up at Autobahn. I'll let you know how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    The spin on sandwich plates with the built in thermostat require remote oil filter ...
    I'm not sure I follow you there. Mocal makes sandwich plates with the t-stat built in, like I linked before, and the filter just sits below the sandwich plate. I just figured that style wouldn't fit into the somewhat restricted space we have because the t-stat portion of the sandwich plate protrudes out from the body of the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    I was trying to get away from the inline thermostat because you need a place to mount it and it carries some oil in the lines when it is closed.
    Not only that but it adds to the cost of doing all this. An extra $30-40 since you have to buy 2 separate parts, and then another $30-40 extra because you have to buy 4 additional AN fittings.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.