AAIIIC's oil cooler thread - Page 10
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, AAIIIC's oil cooler thread in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by ctsvjeff This is for a chev small/big block not an LS motor.. Try a moroso 23694... http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=21001 ...
    soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Need help with oil cooler

Quote Originally Posted by ctsvjeff View Post
    This is for a chev small/big block not an LS motor..

Try a moroso 23694... http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=21001
    This is what i'm using but I do not have headers...yet
    Post photos please of how the adapter fit and your hose routing, cooler, etc. Thanks.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

I was posting it more for a visual, but thanks for another part number to consider. Canton makes the same adapter as well, Part number 22-546
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Junior1 View Post
    I was posting it more for a visual, but thanks for another part number to consider. Canton makes the same adapter as well, Part number 22-546
    Yup, those would appear to be identical. Based on what I could see, it won't work with headers. (At least, not with Kooks).

Angled to the rear, lines have nowhere to go:

Angled to the front, the line closest to the oil pan might work, but the other line doesn't have enough horizontal clearance to bend enough to clear the header and front subframe. (I tried with both 30 and 45deg fittings, as I recall.)

Obviously pointing anywhere in between those two pictures means you're pointing right at the header, so that's a no-go.

Well that just sucks...
    So looks like either a remote filter setup or drysump

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Off topic, but did you use Swain Tech on those Kooks?

Yessir.

Mike when you get a chance, can you post up pictures of your setup...

Chances are I am going to go that route. I was at the shop today and they are actually using -12 lines and not -10 so it makes for even more issues.
    They are looking to go with a spin on sandwich type with the lines coming straight down out of the plate and then getting routed to a remote filter setup.
    All of the previous cars that were built for Powell, Buttermore, etc. used the stock exhaust manifolds because headers were/are illegal in T1 & GS so this never became an issue.
    Unless there is another brand of headers with a different design (American Racing, Stainless, etc.) that will allow for more clearance, I don't know and I don't want to buy them all to find out...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Mike when you get a chance, can you post up pictures of your setup...

Chances are I am going to go that route. I was at the shop today and they are actually using -12 lines and not -10 so it makes for even more issues.
    They are looking to go with a spin on sandwich type with the lines coming straight down out of the plate and then getting routed to a remote filter setup.
    All of the previous cars that were built for Powell, Buttermore, etc. used the stock exhaust manifolds because headers were/are illegal in T1 & GS so this never became an issue.
    Unless there is another brand of headers with a different design (American Racing, Stainless, etc.) that will allow for more clearance, I don't know and I don't want to buy them all to find out...

[COLOR="Silver"]

----------

----------

BTW Chris the 1120 Earls spin on by pass has been replaced by another number. I'm not sure what it is though.

Thank you sir...

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Extnal oil and trans coolers

I noticed my (accurate) oil temps around 256 (in 90+ heat while running hard for a 2nd day) so I decided to add an external oil cooler. I did the research and decided on the Setrab 6 with 16 rows (https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=8945), -10AN fittings, a low profile adapter from ImprovedRacing.com etc. Sweet.

Then I saw something from another project sitting around - a Derale 15800 16 pass cooler with a fan like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15800/. I'm thinking trans cooler?

Also, dumb question: the Setrab is "16 row". The Derale is "16 pass". One is twice the size of the other - what am I missing? row vs. pass?

Re: Extnal oil and trans coolers

It's hard to tell from that picture since the fan is covering the core, but I'm guessing the Derale is a tube-and-fin style cooler (16 passes means the tubing runs back and forth 16 times). The Setrab is a stacked plate style cooler, so there are headers on either side, with 16 rows (created by the stacked plates) passing from one side to the other. Stacked plate style coolers are more efficient for a given size because they provide more surface area for both the cooled fluid (the oil) and the cooling fluid (the air).
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

I'm guessing you don't have kooks headers, as this complicates things.

Other threads on this subject:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...il-cooler.html
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-kit-have.html

I spec'd all this stuff out for a nice oil cooler with aeroquip fitings and an accusump (from the 2nd thread above). It came out to like $1800, which seemed excessive, so I haven't done this yet.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post2897140

Let us know what you come up with.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

jclayc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

I read a bit about the clearance issues w/ headers - that research pointed me to the low profile adapter from ImprovedRacing.com, which looks great. It'll be a few weeks before I start this particular project (along with my header install) but I'll update the thread w/ pictures when I install.

I'm not sure putting the Setrab up under the front is the way to go, so it may end up in the rear of a wheel well.

As far as the Derale cooler - I'll keep an eye on my trans temps and, if they ever creep up, maybe I'll plumb the cooler into the spare tire well.

FYI we ran both the tranny and oil coolers up front where the a/c condenser used to mount, (full track car) and ran -12 lines for the oil cooler

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

FYI we ran both the tranny and oil coolers up front where the a/c condenser used to mount, (full track car) and ran -12 lines for the oil cooler
    What did you wind up using for an adapter to run the lines from the oil filter Chris? Improved Racing? Your car has headers right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.