Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This job isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Except for the metal sleeve removal. Brian's ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

This job isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Except for the metal sleeve removal. Brian's (PISINUOFF) is ESSENTIAL for this.

You need the following tools:

Extractor tool (contact PISINUOFF)
    21mm gear wrench (diff bolts)
    21mm socket (bolt head on bushing bolt)
    3/4 sockets (for extractor tool)
    8mm allen wrench socket (driveshaft bolts)
    Blue Loctite (to use on driveshaft bolts)
    Wrenches for your exhaust bolts (Mine were 11/16" and 5/8" for B&B exhaust)

The diff does NOT have to be removed in order to get old bushing out/new bushing in. I drove mine up on ramps, and it gave me enough room to work on it.

Remove the exhaust.

Then remove the 6 bolts on the driveshaft where it connects to the differential pinion. They are 8mm allen head bolts. Once the bolts are removed, prop the driveshaft up with a jackstand.

Jack up the differential enough to let the weight off and and remove the front diff bushing bolt. This is with the UUC bushing in, but you can see bolt I'm talking about.

Then remove the rear passenger side bolt #15 from the diff. Again you might have to move the jack up or down to let the pressure off the bolts to make them easier to remove.

Loosen but don't remove the rear driver's side bolt. #16 in pic

The diff will be suspended, but keep jack underneath it for support. The diff will drop low enough to get to the bushing and here's where it gets fun.

Here's the old bushing we're going to be removing.

PISINUOFF's extractor tool.....admire the beauty.

Attach the tool on the differential like so:

At the instructions of Brian, I jammed the two nuts together on the left, and torqued on them that way. Or, you can put a nut on either side of the spacer. You have to lock it down so when you torque on the nuts, they move the bolt with it. You are going to actually torque on the nuts themselves....the wrench on the front of the diff was just to move the bolt out a little so I could have more room on the backside.

I couldn't get the metal sleeve pressed into the diff to budge, so I took the spacer off the extractor, and just used the small washer to push the old rubber portion out of the sleeve.

Once the rubber portion was out, you can see the sleeve still in the diff.
    Back view:

Front view: Notice the flange. This prevents you from extracting the sleeve from behind.

This is where I ran into trouble. I couldn't make the sleeve budge no matter what I tried. I tried heat, liquid wrench, breaker bars, all of it.
    Note: it's been 20 degrees here for 2 months, so I think if it was warmer, I wouldn't have had as hard as a time

So what I did (with help from Brian's over the phone) was took a punch and tapped on the edge of the sleeve in order to make it curl in so the spacer on the extractor tool had more material to grab.
    The spacer on the extractor tool is made out of aluminum, and might get a little chewed up torquing on the sleeve. Brian was thinking of making this part steel which is a great idea.
    Note: earlier I had jammed the two nuts together for torquing. Brian also suggested that I try a nut on each side of the spacer as well -> as seen in the pic

Other methods to try if you are stuck (all of which were tried be me):

Try a hacksaw blade off saw to cut thru the sleeve. (wear gloves)

One person heating the case (propane/bernzomatic) other person torquing the extractor. Only works if you have a helper obviously.

A dremmel on the sleeve. So I made a couple lines in the sleeve itself so maybe the sleeve would buckle a little bit when extracted. This worked the best, but you have to be VERY careful not to go too far and get into the aluminum case.

Pray.

After all this I FINALLY got the sleeve out. You can see my two litte cuts

It took a breaker bar to get enough torque on the bolt to push it out. I didn't have a lot of room between the car and the ground, so get a inch or two cranked down, and then remove the breaker bar and start again. Tedious, but it finally came out. I was pretty scared at first, but the case held up thank God.

The hole in the diff where metal sleeve used to be....

Install the pretty red UUC bushing.

Now jack up the differential and get the holes lined up and reconnect your bolts. They are all 21mm.

When reinstalling the driveshaft bolts, make sure you use Blue Loctite on the threads so they don't work themselves loose. Also, at ewills suggestion, make sure you tighten the bolts in a star of david pattern. This will help distribute the torque evenly.

Reinstall your exhaust, and pull your V down from your ramps and go enjoy your V!

Thank you to Brian (PISINUOFF) for the great working tool, and for the help over the phone!!!!!

I did this job in february, and I think the cold weather made it harder on me trying to get the bushing out. Do yourself a favor and do it in warm weather, or if you are lucky enough to have a heated garage (or access to one) leave your V in there a few days before attempting this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

Bneal this one is for you Boss since you were asking.

Tony, please fix the old writeup since this one has the pics. Thank you Sir.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

If you are trying to install a Creative Steel diff bushing, and do not have a press, the easiest way to go about it is with a 36mm spindle socket and a mini sledge. It will take 2 people, one to center the bushing and hold the socket CENTERED on the bushing and then one to hit with the hammer. The Creative Steel bushing is physically identical in the outside diameter to the stock bushing

PISNUOFF Guest

Nice writeup Lollygagger, again.

All spacers are now steel instead of aluminum and are thinner. One of the two extractors left in circulation has been shortened and more threaded material has been added for strength. The combination of shorter base and thinner spacer leaves more room for the bolt to protrude through the bushing. If you've used the tool, you'll know what I mean.

Also, you don't have to remove your exhaust. You can get the driveshaft out of the way of the pinion without going through the hassle of removing the exhaust.

This might help also:
    Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    If you are trying to install a Creative Steel diff bushing, and do not have a press, the easiest way to go about it is with a 36mm spindle socket and a mini sledge. It will take 2 people, one to center the bushing and hold the socket CENTERED on the bushing and then one to hit with the hammer. The Creative Steel bushing is physically identical in the outside diameter to the stock bushing
    You must be McGyver to get a hammer up in there with the diff still in the car.

PISINUOFF'S bushing extractor is HIGH quality. Rent that $hit!

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I had to do the same, Creative should shave a tiny bit off the O.D. on thier bushing, I had to beat the hell out of that thing to get it in there...

Major suck but good end result.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct View Post
    I had to do the same, Creative should shave a tiny bit off the O.D. on thier bushing, I had to beat the hell out of that thing to get it in there...

Major suck but good end result.
    That is a possibility, but in reality it should stay the same as the stock bushing for OEM fitment. The bushing sleeve is steel, and the case is aluminum. They could expand/contract at different rates and cause the bushing to become loose if it is not enough of a "press fit".

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Nice, lolly! Glad you're (still) around here!

Now, do this for me. Can you listen to your diff and tell me if you hear anything "new?" When I had my bushing done, I started to notice my diff putting out a low warbling sound. I notice it a lot at 27 MPH, 4th gear; even my wife can hear it. Go slightly on and off the throttle, and you might hear it better.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the bushing is transmitting noises that I'm thinking were already there, just weren't audible before with the OEM bushing.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

once again... I find another great thread to add to my library ! I will definately use this in the next couple weeks. I got the tool on order.
    Questions:
    1 does his tool also extract the sleeve or only the rubber insert or is the sleeve removal "to each his own"?
    2 I have the CS bushing.. do I still need to remove the sleeve? Above it says that the OD of the CS bushing is the same diameter as the current bushing (or current bushing with sleeve?)
    3 i confused.. did skullV remove the sleeve with a socket and mallet pound that $hit out and not use Piss's tool? Is his method an alternate? I will be using Brian's tool (that sounded not-hetero)..I hope it removes all including the sleeve
    4 are all the sleeves steel?

Shibby.........!

I used Brians tool. It took out the sleeve and rubber together and I didn't need to fold or damage them at all. I needed the sledge and socket to install the NEW bushing which is the same thing you are going to need unless you have the diff out and can press it in. You must remove the sleeve. I did the first ever install on this particular product so someone may have come up with a better idea since I did mine. Here are some comparison pics:

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

hey skull
    what about a c clamp and the socket (you said 36mm wow!) to act like a press? is there room under the car for that? Any worries about the sledge breaking the aluminum on the case from a mis hit or breaking the bushing flange? Any type of lube around the CS sleeve help and not attack the eurathane?

That is a possibility, but in reality it should stay the same as the stock bushing for OEM fitment. The bushing sleeve is steel, and the case is aluminum. They could expand/contract at different rates and cause the bushing to become loose if it is not enough of a "press fit".
    The UUC mount isn't press fit. And there's no way for it to come loose since it's sandwiched in the bracket, and the bolt is holding it in. I don't see why taking a couple thousanth's off his mount wouldn't help with the install. Still tight, but not have to bang on it with a hammer. Maybe using a little lube would help? Axle Grease, Oil, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Nice, lolly! Glad you're (still) around here!

Now, do this for me. Can you listen to your diff and tell me if you hear anything "new?" When I had my bushing done, I started to notice my diff putting out a low warbling sound. I notice it a lot at 27 MPH, 4th gear; even my wife can hear it. Go slightly on and off the throttle, and you might hear it better.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the bushing is transmitting noises that I'm thinking were already there, just weren't audible before with the OEM bushing.
    Hell ya it transmits more noise Randy. In the colder months it's even worse than in the summer (urethane no likey cold)
    The only thing I found that helped the whine, was going thicker diff fluid. I can do the same thing.....give it gas, noise.....let off, less noise.

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    once again... I find another great thread to add to my library ! I will definately use this in the next couple weeks. I got the tool on order.
    Questions:
    1 does his tool also extract the sleeve or only the rubber insert or is the sleeve removal "to each his own"?
    2 I have the CS bushing.. do I still need to remove the sleeve? Above it says that the OD of the CS bushing is the same diameter as the current bushing (or current bushing with sleeve?)
    3 i confused.. did skullV remove the sleeve with a socket and mallet pound that out and not use Piss's tool? Is his method an alternate? I will be using Brian's tool (that sounded not-hetero)..I hope it removes all including the sleeve
    4 are all the sleeves steel?

Shibby.........!
    1) It extracts both the metal and the rubber. I just had a harder time for whatever reason. Ewill suggested it's probably help to leave the rubber in it so it keeps the tool lined up.

2) I'm sure you have to remove the sleeve.

3) Lol. You would never catch me hammering on my aluminum case. I still don't know how he even got a hammer up in there with the diff in the car.

4) If you are talking about the factory diff bushing sleeve, yes they are all steel.

5) You would have to be King Kong to get a c-clamp to work. Plus, I wouldn't suggest you putting that much pressure on the aluminum case. Get Brian's extractor tool. It's made just like the GM tool that stealerships use.

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    hey skull
    what about a c clamp and the socket (you said 36mm wow!) to act like a press? is there room under the car for that? Any worries about the sledge breaking the aluminum on the case from a mis hit or breaking the bushing flange? Any type of lube around the CS sleeve help and not attack the eurathane?
    Lube wouldn't work since it is press fit the lube gets scraped off the sleeve before it ever gets into the hole (that's what she said). I didn't have time to worry about the sledge/socket method since it was my only option. The stock bushing was out and the car had to be out my buddy's garage an hour later!

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    The UUC mount isn't press fit. And there's no way for it to come loose since it's sandwiched in the bracket, and the bolt is holding it in. I don't see why taking a couple thousanth's off his mount wouldn't help with the install. Still tight, but not have to bang on it with a hammer. Maybe using a little lube would help? Axle Grease, Oil, etc....
    The UUC can't move left-right but in order to be able to put it in there easily by hand it MUST be able to move around inside the hole either up/down or side/side because there must be some amount of gap for you to be able to just slide it in.

PISNUOFF Guest

All this talk about my tool is making me uncomfortable!

Lolly - You and I had such a difficult time using my extractor because the spacer was aluminum and the OD was about 1mm too small. It's steel now and the diameter is perfect.

If someone tells me the outer diameter of the inner metal sleeve of the CS bushing, I can have a spacer made to fit over it and you can pull the bushing into the casting from the other side using my extractor/installation tool.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.