Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Had an aftermarket bushing in there a few weeks and went back to stock. I'd rather change it every three ...
    Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Re: Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

Had an aftermarket bushing in there a few weeks and went back to stock. I'd rather change it every three years rather than deal with the whine.

On a side note. I did not need to remove the driveshaft or exhaust. With the Creative Steel tool, some long extensions and a 13/16 gear wrench I only needed to drop the pass side exhaust off the hangers.
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

vmarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L AY6 stock

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Had an aftermarket bushing in there a few weeks and went back to stock. I'd rather change it every three years rather than deal with the whine.

On a side note. I did not need to remove the driveshaft or exhaust. With the Creative Steel tool, some long extensions and a 13/16 gear wrench I only needed to drop the pass side exhaust off the hangers.
    I would use the CS bushing if it had the flange at it's ends like the UUC - so that you didn't need to press it in with the tool.

If I owned the tool, I wouldn't mind changing it every three years as much, but I'd still mind.

Has anyone had to replace the CS bushing?

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by vmarks View Post

Has anyone had to replace the CS bushing?
    Haven't heard of anybody replacing any from the new batch.
    '05 Platinum l LPE CAI l Magnaflow l V1 (hardwired), w/ custom mount l UUC shifter l UUC Alcantara shift knob l K9 GEAR rear seat cover lHID fogs lHotchkis sways lCG-Lock l Specter Bushings l FG2s l Ground control 550/600 l MAGGIE 439RWHP/414RWTQ (Dynojet) l Heavys fire extinguisher bracket l Interceptor scan-gauge l Billet pedals l Meth l NO HEADERS l Original diff l 90mm upgrade l 2.6" drive pulley l LS7 clutch w/16lb. FW l Alcantara

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by vmarks View Post
    I really would like to borrow the extraction tool - I'm in NC, and I don't want to wait until it's too much colder. I put myself on CS' waiting list for their tool, but that's easily 3-4 weeks away from being available.
    Maybe Max will make another one to have floating around. Or contact Brian (pisinuoff) I used his when I did mine.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by hivolts View Post
    Saw....not a good idea. I tried it tonight. However on one side I cut in to the aluminum housing a little less than 1/16" and about 1/4" long. The sleeve came out easy but when driving the new one it, the aluminum housing split all the way across!!!!!! Luckily we had the diff cradle from Creative Steel and that seems to be holding for now. Not sure how to fix the housing. Any ideas? Thought about taking the car back apart and having some one do some aluminum welding.
    Not sure what your describing? Did it just crack across?

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    You're not supposed to saw through the diff! Geesh lol.
    QFT!

Rinierd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Could anyone post the dimension of the differential Bushing extraction tool that they have had success with? I need to replace mine and would like to try to make one up to assist with getting my bushing out without having to put it on a press.
    Thanks

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lunarx View Post
    Note from hivolts, don't use saw.
    Thanks for sharing on that.

I have the UUC Bushing and the diff whine is not acceptable.
    Is the CS Diff Bushing any better at isolating whine than the UUC?
    I barely hear the diff whine on my car. With the stereo up, or the windows open the noise disappears.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

This will tick-off the control arm bushing guys but help out the rear diff bushing crowd. I spent the day building more diff bushing tools, I have two more full days to go before they are finished, but this will add 8 more tools to the arsenal. Whoo-Hoo...no more waiting list.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

HAMSTAR is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Good to hear, Max! I got impatient and ordered anyway and will try to extract without the tool. Hopefully I don't make a mess of it.

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Awesome as I am in line and just waiting till i can get the new dif bushing block and motor mounts in

Sigfod is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    This will tick-off the control arm bushing guys but help out the rear diff bushing crowd. I spent the day building more diff bushing tools, I have two more full days to go before they are finished, but this will add 8 more tools to the arsenal. Whoo-Hoo...no more waiting list.
    YAAAAY, and BOOOOO since I am on both lists.

Bertbart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts v

I just installed the Creative Steel diff bushing.. Their tool worked perfectly. I did not have to completely pull the exhaust only at the collectors. I left the drive shaft connected as well. Took it out for a spin and it's a wonderful improvement.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by bertbart View Post
    i just installed the creative steel diff bushing.. Their tool worked perfectly. I did not have to completely pull the exhaust only at the collectors. I left the drive shaft connected as well. Took it out for a spin and it's a wonderful improvement.
    nice !!!
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Gucci05V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Installed the CS diff bushing and block and last night. Huge improvement in drivability. Just as satisfying as installing Brian's short shifter. I didn't drop the exhaust, just released it from the rear hangars. It was a tight working space, but doable. The tool was easy to use to press the old (stock) bushing out, which literally crumbled apart in my hands. I found that the new bushing didn't require the pressure of the tool to press in. Just firm hand pressure and it slid into place. Does this mean I'm in for trouble down the road? I also had to use a dab of grease and shave about 1/16" off of the top of the block to get it to slide into place due to limited workspace. It required some firm pressure from a floor jack to get everything lined back up and bolted in, but this was way better than paying $500 (two different estimates) to have it done at the shop.

xbladr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I also completely mine with the block just this past week and took it out. Feeling is not too far off from the stock to be honest. My bushing came out and looked brand new for the most part. I know the differential was changed out about 35k miles ago so I am assuming they put a new bushing in as well. Again not much difference in terms of feel but its nice to know it is done and I do not need to worry about it in the future.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.