Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I dont yet have the diff tilted, but getting there, wondering if you could help me out in making my ...
    Doba is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

I dont yet have the diff tilted, but getting there, wondering if you could help me out in making my extraction tool.. I could measure tonight but you could help me save a day, if possible.

simple Dimension A,B,C,D,E info if you have it would be great if not Ill measure myself tonight

Castro is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

I just did the CS bushing and I think I have the perfect solution for you guys. Shirn's Cadillac in Williamsport, PA charged me $65 to do it for me.

jrocksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Just registered to the forum. I am very happy to see the write up for the differential bushing change out. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to purchase the bushing and which one is recommended and where to purchase the tool.

Thank You

Joel

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by jrocksdaddy View Post
    Just registered to the forum. I am very happy to see the write up for the differential bushing change out. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to purchase the bushing and which one is recommended and where to purchase the tool.

Thank You

Joel

Max at Creative Steel, search for his number as its in his signature of all his posts (No website yet). He also loans the tool out with only a small fee and large refundable deposit required.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Thanks CancerJCC,

jrocksdaddy, Here's our number so you won't have to search for it. 503-316-1811.

Peace, Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Thanks CancerJCC,

jrocksdaddy, Here's our number so you won't have to search for it. 503-316-1811.

Peace, Max

No problem Max, always glad to help out a reputable vendor!

ctsv-mjf is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

Whew, this was a pain but I got it done. Some observations on the write up- not complaining just some more info for the next one that tries this.

1. Get the car as high off the ground as you can, the ramps I used we ok but didn't leave much room for wrenching or anything else. Maybe smaller guys will be ok but I was hard presses at 6 3 , 210 to get under there.

2. The exhaust and drive shaft have to be removed. I tried the easy way first based on some of the replies and it didn't work. The bushing wasn't exposes enough and the diff moved too much to use the tool until I got the drive shft out of the way.

3. Make sure to loosen and not remove the driver side bolt. If you remove the bolt the diff will flex too much to get the bushing out. Ask me how I know.

4. Have plenty of aspirin ready. The gear wrench helps but you need a breaker bar to get the spacer thru the diff hole and out the other side. Lots of little turns and sore arms, shoulders, back.

5. I may be stupid, but use the gear wrench on the rear ( of the car) nut on the extractor toll to pull the spacer thru the other side. Gotta line it up right so it passes thru cleanly.

6. Got it in and am happy. Let me know if anyone wants the tool. I'll be happy to ship it out to the next guy.

I just did mine this weekend too (3rd time). I didn't use a tool and rather just cut the metal sleeve with a hack saw. I actually had to cut through it once then wack the sleeve until the sleeve closed the cut gap. Then I cut again and that was enough to get it out. Not the best way but the best way when you have no tool. (Didn't want to wait on the tool). I was just glad all the hammering didn't bust my aluminum diff!

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    I just did mine this weekend too (3rd time). I didn't use a tool and rather just cut the metal sleeve with a hack saw. I actually had to cut through it once then wack the sleeve until the sleeve closed the cut gap. Then I cut again and that was enough to get it out. Not the best way but the best way when you have no tool. (Didn't want to wait on the tool). I was just glad all the hammering didn't bust my aluminum diff!
    No shame in that.....that's an easy way to get the old p.o.s. out of there!

vmarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L AY6 stock

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv-mjf View Post
    6. Got it in and am happy. Let me know if anyone wants the tool. I'll be happy to ship it out to the next guy.
    Yes please.

I need the tool.

I have my car up on ramps, the center of the stock bushing was just rattling around and shedding rubber. I have the red poly one ready to go in, but don't want to hammer on the diff.

I'm thinking about trying to go slow with a hacksaw blade, but the tool sounds like a smarter idea.

What do I need to do to get in line for it?

hivolts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Saw....not a good idea. I tried it tonight. However on one side I cut in to the aluminum housing a little less than 1/16" and about 1/4" long. The sleeve came out easy but when driving the new one it, the aluminum housing split all the way across!!!!!! Luckily we had the diff cradle from Creative Steel and that seems to be holding for now. Not sure how to fix the housing. Any ideas? Thought about taking the car back apart and having some one do some aluminum welding.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 13 911S, 10 E63 AMG

Note from hivolts, don't use saw.
    Thanks for sharing on that.

I have the UUC Bushing and the diff whine is not acceptable.
    Is the CS Diff Bushing any better at isolating whine than the UUC?

hivolts is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I noticed on my car that the joint of the drivers side axle near the diff had dropped down into the exhaust pipe. It put a 1" indention into it. The new bushing and hammering the exhaust down a little separates those so my whirling noise went away. So far, the car seems ok with the split bushing housing. I think the cradle is helping hold it together.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

You're not supposed to saw through the diff! Geesh lol.

vmarks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 3.6L AY6 stock

I really would like to borrow the extraction tool - I'm in NC, and I don't want to wait until it's too much colder. I put myself on CS' waiting list for their tool, but that's easily 3-4 weeks away from being available.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.