Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Well. did my diff bushing today - almost. Got stuck. I ran into just about every problem. Had to cut ...
    bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

Re: Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

Well. did my diff bushing today - almost. Got stuck. I ran into just about every problem. Had to cut the sleeve out and I can't get Max's grey bushing in. So car is in driveway on ramps with bad weather coming and i can't get it back into garage with diff and drive shaft hanging. I will do a pictorial write up when i am complete detailing my troubles and perservereance.

Question - Best way to get max's bushing in? I do not want to hammer the hell out of it for fear of getting stuck partially inserted and can't remove it.
    Option 1 - use a flapper wheel on a drill motor to remove aluminum from the diff bore
    option 2 - try to remove material from the bushing - maybe use expanding chuck ona drill press and emory the OD
    Option 3 - give it the stink-eye and yell at it
    Option 4 - an idea from one of you

Someone tell max the damn things are too big.... Spent 4 hours getting to this point. I figure if i can get the bushing in, should only take about 2 hours to re-bolt diff and drive shaft and fiddle with exhaust pipes..

help ! thanks - I did skin at least 1 knuckle - my first blood spilled in mod hell - i wiped it on the diff.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Wow ^^ g/l getting it in. Did you try the freezer idea? Did you get one of the originals or one that Max has already dropped the OD on?

yeah it was in the freezer i lent my heat gun so the hair dryer isnt good enough to heat the bore.. I really do not want too much stress there when temps stabilize.. So i will likely briefly use a flapper wheel to take out a thou or so. I suppose it was the lower OD? it measured what max says he makes it to.. but i know i'm not the first to have trouble getting his diff bushing in. I'd been done if it fit before it got dark and COLD. It was nice today and i though it would not take all day so i worked in the driveway - now snow freezing rain.

It is still too tight a fit - and like i said, i don't want to hammer it in and get stuck. i'll measure my diff bore tomorrow and give that info to max as an fyi

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

The bushing is not too big it is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be..a factory press fit bushing, it is just not something the the average guy can install in their driveway easily. The only way to do it is to use the diff bushing removal tool as an install tool, or to hammer it in using a large socket.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Hammer idea scares the shit outta me. Not to talk bad about it at all, but if it needs pressed in shouldn't that be included in the directions?
    What if you ground/filed/chamfered the edge to get an angle on the edge of the bushing? Maybe if you get it started that way, the rest will go in with the diff bushing tool. I don't think the cold is helping you either.

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Hammer idea scares the shit outta me. Not to talk bad about it at all, but if it needs pressed in shouldn't that be included in the directions?
    What if you ground/filed/chamfered the edge to get an angle on the edge of the bushing? Maybe if you get it started that way, the rest will go in with the diff bushing tool. I don't think the cold is helping you either.
    It's an OEM style replacement bushing, what directions should be included? Are directions included when you buy an OEM replacement bushing from GM? You don't need to chamfer it to get it started and centered. You can do it with the diff bushing tool as it sits.

i could not figure out how to use Brian's tool as a press tool? I stared at it for a while trying to figure it out. it only fits on the front side of the diff and the bushing needs drawn front to rear. there is nothing to react against the back facing side of the diff bore to draw it back. A threaded block that spans the bore on the back of the diff with his insert "could" do it.

Skull, Lolly, Thanks for chiming in, always appreciate your prompt advice.. I understand that it is a factory press fit but with the solid eurathane insert, does it need to be? I wouldn't think so. It is trapped pretty well and I may remove only enough to get it in with some love, not a metric ton of drawing force. It shouldn't hurt anything anyway. this was just unexpected.. like much of mod hell.

woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    i could not figure out how to use Brian's tool as a press tool? I stared at it for a while trying to figure it out. it only fits on the front side of the diff and the bushing needs drawn front to rear. there is nothing to react against the back facing side of the diff bore to draw it back. A threaded block that spans the bore on the back of the diff with his insert "could" do it.

Skull, Lolly, Thanks for chiming in, always appreciate your prompt advice.. I understand that it is a factory press fit but with the solid eurathane insert, does it need to be? I wouldn't think so. It is trapped pretty well and I may remove only enough to get it in with some love, not a metric ton of drawing force. It shouldn't hurt anything anyway. this was just unexpected.. like much of mod hell.

woohoo
    It really needs to be pressed in because it is not flanged on both sides like the UUC is, there is nothing keeping it from sliding in the case other then the friction between the sleeve and case.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    It's an OEM style replacement bushing, what directions should be included? Are directions included when you buy an OEM replacement bushing from GM? You don't need to chamfer it to get it started and centered. You can do it with the diff bushing tool as it sits.
    It should have a sticker or something saying it needs pressed in. Not everyone has a press like whoever you had put yours in. Also, if you had to use a press, you would have to take the diff out of the car, no? Booo.
    Bneal, try heating up the hole in the diff where the bushing goes.

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Not everyone has a press like whoever you had put yours in.
    He didn't he used a socket and hammer.

It should have a sticker or something saying it needs pressed in. Not everyone has a press like whoever you had put yours in. Also, if you had to use a press, you would have to take the diff out of the car, no? Booo.
    Bneal, try heating up the hole in the diff where the bushing goes.
    Put my own in amigo. Sorry I got my clutch and motor mounts installed FOR FREE, otherwise I would have those myself too. Parking lot burnouts must feel more fulfilling when you put your own clutch in ! Does the OEM bushing come with a sticker saying that it needs to be pressed in?

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    Put my own in amigo. Sorry I got my clutch and motor mounts installed FOR FREE, otherwise I would have those myself too. Parking lot burnouts must feel more fulfilling when you put your own clutch in ! Does the OEM bushing come with a sticker saying that it needs to be pressed in?
    Hahahaha this is coming from the Guy that complains everybody that's ever posted a burnout, that it wasn't good enough. Where's your videos chief? And ya if I were you, I wouldn't attempt a clutch install either

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    He didn't he used a socket and hammer.
    Then that's not pressing it in, is it?

Hahahaha this is coming from the Guy that complains everybody that's ever posted a burnout, that it wasn't good enough. Where's your videos chief? And ya if I were you, I wouldn't attempt a clutch install either
    When have I ever complained that a burnout wasn't good enough, and why would you not attempt a clutch install if you were me?

PISNUOFF Guest

Hey Ted, is this one good enough?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRz1I8uWR0"]Youtube - hotrodctsv[/ame]

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.