Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by SkullV The UUC can't move left-right but in order to be able to put it in there ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: Diff Differential Bushing Install Removal

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    The UUC can't move left-right but in order to be able to put it in there easily by hand it MUST be able to move around inside the hole either up/down or side/side because there must be some amount of gap for you to be able to just slide it in.
    There's no metal outer sleeve on the UUC. The urethane touches the case itself. Remember my suggestion to turn down the UUC mount to fit inside the old metal sleeve of the stock diff bushing?

BOTH mounts are going to provide flex/movement of the bolt slightly since they are urethane. Anything but a solid mount is going to have movement. But the bushing being sandwiched in between the diff and bracket with the bolt thru the middle.....it ain't going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    All this talk about my tool is making me uncomfortable!

Lolly - You and I had such a difficult time using my extractor because the spacer was aluminum and the OD was about 1mm too small. It's steel now and the diameter is perfect.

If someone tells me the outer diameter of the inner metal sleeve of the CS bushing, I can have a spacer made to fit over it and you can pull the bushing into the casting from the other side using my extractor/installation tool.
    Brian, you have a lovely tool. I never doubted it LOLZ

I think I have the old sleeve in my toolbox. I'll get the measurement tonight.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    There's no metal outer sleeve on the UUC. The urethane touches the case itself. Remember my suggestion to turn down the UUC mount to fit inside the old metal sleeve of the stock diff bushing?

BOTH mounts are going to provide flex/movement of the bolt slightly since they are urethane. Anything but a solid mount is going to have movement. But the bushing being sandwiched in between the diff and bracket with the bolt thru the middle.....it ain't going anywhere.
    Not what I'm saying. The UUC if it is easily pushed into the diff casing itself can move up and down within it's hole. There MUST be some margin of gap there in order for you to be able to use your hands to press it in.

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    Not what I'm saying. The UUC if it is easily pushed into the diff casing itself can move up and down within it's hole. There MUST be some margin of gap there in order for you to be able to use your hands to press it in.
    I love bagel bites

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

never had em'.
    i have a CS bushing at home. I can measure it and provide the ID and OD of the CS sleeve around the eurathane. Also I head of aluminum and steel sleeves in the diff. anybody know when this changed? I have an 05 and am praying it is steel. I will be recieving Brian's tool shortly (ooph tool and shortly.. WOW). I "could" chuck up the SC bushing in a lathe and emory the OD a bit at work.

now I'm getting worried... how bad is the noise? I live in PA where eurathane "no likey cold" and it was so properly put. On the side note.. what you think a gen 1 diff with 18K pampered miles would bring in?

Diff bushing noise isnt bad. All of the bushing sleeves are steel, the ear of the diff where the bushing goes is aluminum.

MAPerformance is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

You guys with the creative steel bushings need to freeze the bushing until the day you install it. It will contract a couple thousandths maybe hundredths and pop right in no problem. I do it all the time.

that's a great point.. could heat gun the case bore as well... I also have Spekter rear cradle bushings to do.. Should I plan this at the same time? Are there parallel tasks in these jobs? or should thay be done entirely seperately?

BTW the OD of the CS bushing i have is consistantly 1.900" - .002 at some places

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by MAPerformance View Post
    You guys with the creative steel bushings need to freeze the bushing until the day you install it. It will contract a couple thousandths maybe hundredths and pop right in no problem. I do it all the time.

Tried it, left it in the freezer over night.
    I even hit it with a wire wheel to get it nice and smooth before I frooze it.

No chance in hell.

I should Of shaved it down , But once i got it a quater ways in I kept hammerin.
    When I should have stoped , pulled the bushing out and shaved off it

has anybody had good luck with the CS diff bushing going in, does max know ofhte troubles? anyone know the nominal diameter of the diff bore?

Brian.. as mentioned above the OD of the CS bushing sleeve is 1.900

again any parallel tasks in this bushing and the cradle bushings?

Quote Originally Posted by bneal1022 View Post
    has anybody had good luck with the CS diff bushing going in, does max know ofhte troubles? anyone know the nominal diameter of the diff bore?

Brian.. as mentioned above the OD of the CS bushing sleeve is 1.900

again any parallel tasks in this bushing and the cradle bushings?
    I told Max how difficult it was when I installed the first one. He said he would shave off some of the material but I don't know if it happened. It is not really a problem with the design of the mount, as the mount is designed exactly like the stock mount which would need to be installed in the same manner (using a press or hammering it in).

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

The first bushings were 1.900" +/-.001. The wall thickness of our bushing is about .075", keep in mind that different room temperatures will make this thin of wall tubing expend and contract dramatically when compared to the diameter. What I mean is that .002" is more critical on a part that is 2" OD than .002" on a part that is say.....14" OD. After the last go-round of feedback that our bushings were too difficult to install I shaved them down to 1.898" +/- .001. I can shave them down another .002" to 1.896" but I'm afraid we'll start running the risk of them going too easy and being loose in the bore. .004" smaller than stock on a less than 2" OD is a bunch.

Brian, it's your tool, but I would think that if your disc that pulls the sleeve out was 1.875" +/- .002 it would give you a minimum of 8 thow of clearance to the OD of the sleeve, to get maximum surface area on the edge of the bushing sleeve.

In closing, we are walking a fine line between a press fit and a slip fit.
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

bneal, if you haven't left your car in a heated garage overnight to warm up the diff, try heating up the diff itself. It might help expand the aluminum case a little. Just a thought.

As far as doing the diff bushing and the cradle bushings at the same time, that's up to you. There's no real parallel tasks between the two. If I were you, I'd do em seperately so you can get a feel for the new diff bushing, then add the cradle bushings later.

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Brian, it's your tool, but I would think that if your disc that pulls the sleeve out was 1.875" +/- .002 it would give you a minimum of 8 thow of clearance to the OD of the sleeve, to get maximum surface area on the edge of the bushing sleeve.

In closing, we are walking a fine line between a press fit and a slip fit.
    I have the OD of the bushing and the OD of my sleeve is 46mm (+0,-.5). What I need is the OD of the inner sleeve of your CS bushing so I can make a spacer with a pocket in it so it only contacts the outer sleeve of the CS bushing and doesn't pull on the center risking pulling it and the rubber through of the outer sleeve.

BTW - all of the dims on the casting are metric. I've seen the drawings and may even still have a copy somewhere at home.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    I have the OD of the bushing and the OD of my sleeve is 46mm (+0,-.5). What I need is the OD of the inner sleeve of your CS bushing so I can make a spacer with a pocket in it so it only contacts the outer sleeve of the CS bushing and doesn't pull on the center risking pulling it and the rubber through of the outer sleeve.

BTW - all of the dims on the casting are metric. I've seen the drawings and may even still have a copy somewhere at home.

OK, I see what you need. The OD of the center sleeve is 1.000 (25.4 mm) and sticks out of the urethane a little over a 1/4" on each end.
    Is that what you needed? Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

PISNUOFF Guest

Exactly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.