E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; As most of you guys know, I recently converted the V over to E85. Here is a little writeup of ...
    deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Talking E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V

As most of you guys know, I recently converted the V over to E85. Here is a little writeup of some of the process. I'll also use this to keep a blog of status and to answer questions.

This past weekend we converted my CTS-V over to an E85 tune, and for the extra fuel required, we ran a Walbro 255L High Pressure In-line pump with Custom fittings. In the Tune, we were able to add 9 to 10 Deg of timing in the mid range and 7 to 8 deg on the top end all with ZERO Knock. Dyno numbers are coming soon (hopefully Wednesday or Thursday). We are thinking it gave us about 20 to 25 RWHP Increase roughly.

The shop that did the install is A.I.R. (American Intense Racing). They are going to put a package together for this conversion if anyone would like to pick one up or has any questions. You can reach Clint at 303-250-1466. He's also here on the forums: 97BlueDeville is his handle. The kit will come complete with detailed instructions $299. The kit Includes:
    -Walbro Inline pump 255L per hour. Good for approx 550 to
    600 RWHP on Gas. Uses stock Fuel filter system.
    -3' of High Pressure Fuel Hose, (good to 300psi)
    -An Fuel Fittings to easily convert over from Stock Fuel setup, to inline pump, and back to stock, no removing or cutting of any fuel lines.
    -40 Amp Bosch Style Relay to activate Fuel pump
    -30 Amp Fuse for surge protection
    -All Wiring provided, includes 1'Ground wire, 6' positive pump wire, 18'
    10 gauge power wire, wire crimps & wire ties.

Below are the pictures of the Inline pump install.

Pics of parts, (does not have all parts involved, missing wires for
    pump & wire ties Etc)

Took a little time to find the best place to mount the pump in the
    tight confined spaces under the V. Turns out above the fuel filter on
    the passenger side of the car was the best place.

Test fitting the pump.

Wiring up the pump.

Testing & Buttoning up everything.

Finished of pumps install. Positive wire ran to the rear of the car,
    the ground tied into the 10mm bolt that supports the fuel filter. No
    leaks, no wires or hoses that could get damaged, looks clean.

Now to the Truck. Passenger side you need to find the large grey positive wire that supplies power to the stock fuel pump.

Shown here is the positive wire (for the stock fuel pump) is cut and the Switched on wire for the relay is tied in.

The stock wire is crimped back together, and the rest of the Relay is wired in. More instructions in Pic.

Sorry that's all for the pics for now. In all, the install went well. The pump is surprisingly quiet.

Here are some of my initial impressions:
    -Starting the car takes a few seconds longer because of the extra fuel that's needed.
    -I definitely feel the added power. Before (and I assume its because of the 5300ft altitude here) I had problems breaking the rear wheels loose but now I have no traction. Again, I'm sure that you sea level guys already have this problem. The top of 1st is worthless and I have a ton of hop and that's giving it WOT from a roll.
    -I do notice the extra fuel consumption. Statistically its about 30% more fuel required to run E85. E85 around here ranges from $1.98 to $2.19 per gallon.
    -I have yet to see what the IAT's are like now since the E85. Maybe the summertime will show some differences.
    -The injectors that came with my maggie were the green top 42#'ers. As it sits right now, at the top of 1st and 2nd gear, I am at 100% duty cycle and If I do any further mods, I'll need to get some larger ones (thinking 60#'ers).
    -The exhaust smells sweet. I guess its the sugar in the corn. Its definitely pleasant though.
    -I will update the thread with gas mileage etc as time goes on. I'm currently on my 1st tank of E85 now.

Please post any questions you have and I'll do my best to answer them!

Happy Motoring.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Re: E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V

Better not let the fuel level get very low, you just eliminated the fuel pump's ability to get gas out of the left side of the fuel tank, once it hits the saddle you'd best start making some hard left hand turns!
    I'll stop there because I am sure the rest would be meaningless if you have gone this far.

Yup, I was told to keep her filled up over 1/3 tank all the time.

The good thing, is if I ever convert back for whatever reason, Its easy to do. Just chew up most of the gas, then plug back in my old tune and viola.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

If you drove to a low-altitude location, would the PCM have the ability to fully compensate?

What do you figure your maximum driving range is now in view of the 30% reduction in fuel economy and ewill's observation re the saddle?

Next up: WH.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

What was changed in the tune?
    And what if you can't find E85?

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

nice setup, but how are you able to switch tunes? on the fly or with a laptop?

MIGHTYMOUSE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-v

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    Better not let the fuel level get very low, you just eliminated the fuel pump's ability to get gas out of the left side of the fuel tank, once it hits the saddle you'd best start making some hard left hand turns!
    I'll stop there because I am sure the rest would be meaningless if you have gone this far.
    he just added this booster pump in line with the original in the tank. what is happening into the tank, including the siphon from the drivers side remains untouched and unaffected

97BlueDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' DTS

The Fuel system still acts stock, pulling fuel from both the driver side and passenger side. Having the in-line pump installed increased the fuel flow an aprox 60% on top of the stock pump. I told Dave not to let the tank drop much below 1/3 tank, as I don't want him to run the risk of running out of fuel, or allowing these pumps to get too hot.

Good Write up Dave... I'm curious what she will put down.

Quote Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE View Post
    he just added this booster pump in line with the original in the tank. what is happening into the tank, including the siphon from the drivers side remains untouched and unaffected
    <-- ewill

<-- me
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    What was changed in the tune?
    And what if you can't find E85?

The car was tuned for E85. If he cannot find E85, he can put regular gas in the tank, the o2 sensors will read a rich condition and likely pull fuel accordingly, might throw a Rich SES light, though I did change the stoichiometric valves from 14.7 to 9.8 for the E85, might not throw a code at all. The car will run fine, but he can't get on it too much as the new timing tables will most certainly cause him to knock under heavy load.

Dynoing the car tomorrow, looking for good results with the e85.

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlueDeville View Post
    ... Dynoing the car tomorrow, looking for good results with the e85.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    If you drove to a low-altitude location, would the PCM have the ability to fully compensate?

What do you figure your maximum driving range is now in view of the 30% reduction in fuel economy and ewill's observation re the saddle?

Next up: WH.
    I'm not sure about that one Randy. I assume it would skew my A/F ratios. My maximum driving range is still being calculated but it has dropped significantly. Unfortunately one of the downsides to E85 is that I have to plan my trips around where gas stations that offer E85 are. Fortunately for me, I don't take the V on long trips...or haven't attempted it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    nice setup, but how are you able to switch tunes? on the fly or with a laptop?
    To switch tunes, I'd just have my tuner upload my old tune via laptop.

So as with everything there are some disadvantages about it. It will absolutely not work for some people.

Good link for people who are looking to run E85.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...2%3D3294945686

Max-Q is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V & Escalade

Great write up Deedubb. Looking forward to seeing some numbers tomorrow. I'm planning on doing the same thing when I find a tuner. I love the inline pump. Did you have a Magnavolt? I'd like to install the Walbro 255 and eliminate the MV and the inline pump would be way easier than dropping the tank.

Yup I ditched the magnavolt when it failed on me. It's no longer needed with the new inline and proper tuning

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.