E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Max-Q No kidding. Just grow your own corn and make a still. You will have all the ...
    darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
    No kidding. Just grow your own corn and make a still. You will have all the fuel you need and you can drink the left overs.
    Good idea! I guess I was under thinking all this.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking that this would be a cool mod, so I started looking into it.

1. The closest stations to me with e85 are 15, 25, and 30 miles from my house, and none are anywhere close to where I travel.

2. Considering the recommendation to keep 1/3 of a tank of gas at all times (5.8 gallons), that leaves you with an effective fuel tank size of 11.7 gallons.

3. My average MPG now at 13 would be roughly 10 with e85, which would get me approximately 117 miles between fillups.

Conclusion: If I had to travel 15 miles to get the e85, the round trip takes 3 gallons out of my tank, which costs roughly $6, the round trip according to mapquest is 1 hour, and leaves me the ability to travel about 85 miles when I'm not traveling to and from the e85 gas station.

Guess it's not for me.
    I came to the same conclusion. But I will look into it further. Since I can change my tune whenever I want, it may not be a bad idea to have the option.
    It would come in handy at the next dyno day , and be great for the track.

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Great work Deedub! I am very happy and excited for you. I looked into this, but chickened out since I didn't have a great local tuner... (that was the reason I gave everyone) being a trail blazing pioneer was the other reason... so kudos to you. Time for me to start saving my pennies for when I grow the balls to finally pull the trigger. Congrads... this is the best thread I have read in a long time.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Thanks for the compliments guys. Only update is that I'm still on my 1st full tank so no mileage calculations yet. I don't drive too much...that and I've been recovering from new years eve lol

Quote Originally Posted by deedubb View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys. Only update is that I'm still on my 1st full tank so no mileage calculations yet. I don't drive too much...that and I've been recovering from new years eve lol
    I'd like to know what you Instanteous MPG gauge says at WOT. (You might need a passenger to read it though so you don't hit something.)

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I'd like to know what you Instanteous MPG gauge says at WOT. (You might need a passenger to read it though so you don't hit something.)
    So unrelated, but I found it interesting at the time. At the end of the day at V-Day I, my average MPG for the day was about 7. This includes cooling off at idle after each session. I usually get under 10 MPG normal city driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    So unrelated, but I found it interesting at the time. At the end of the day at V-Day I, my average MPG for the day was about 7. This includes cooling off at idle after each session. I usually get under 10 MPG normal city driving.
    So if you were using the "E85 Racing Fuel" at the track you might get about 4-5 mpg although your actual fuel cost could be about the same or less.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

... 4-5 mpg ...
    Had to look at this twice to make sure it wasn't "gpm."
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Max-Q is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V & Escalade

So if you were using the "E85 Racing Fuel" at the track you might get about 4-5 mpg although your actual fuel cost could be about the same or less.
    I've found on my "company" car gas mileage between e85 and gas is about the same during normal driving. When running WOT at 130+ MPH the gas mileage with e85 is substantially lower. I know it's supposed to use 25-30% more fuel and it becomes very apparent during WOT runs.

ashanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V + maggie

Sorry, I know this thread has been dead for awhile, but I'm thinking of switching as well. I live in MN and have over 40 e85 stations in the twin cities metro area. I switched my Talon over a couple years ago and gained about 100awhp from running 10psi more boost.

Anyway, I'm scared to run a Walbro inline because they tend to burn out rather quickly on a returnless fuel system. Did you do anything like add a return line to the tank to run this (and FPR)? What if the inline pump fails, you'll just be running really lean? I'm just worried about running twin pumps in case a single fails.

Matt05V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Andrew, have you talked to Hitech in Elk River at all? They might be able to shed some light on your questions. I know they do the conversions and seem to be quite reputable/knowledgable as far as I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ashanson View Post
    Anyway, I'm scared to run a Walbro inline because they tend to burn out rather quickly on a returnless fuel system. Did you do anything like add a return line to the tank to run this (and FPR)? What if the inline pump fails, you'll just be running really lean? I'm just worried about running twin pumps in case a single fails.
    I did not add a return line to the tank but i'm sure it could be done. If the inline pump fails, my stock one still works and is intact. This inline is in addition to the stocker, both work all the time. It will deliver fuel sufficiently I just would not try to hit full boost just to ensure i don't starve it for fuel. Remember this inline was put in because my magnavolt failed on me and I didn't want to take the chance in putting the stock pump to max levels. Just added safety I guess.

ashanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V + maggie

Matt, I haven't talked to Hitech, I always go to DB Performance for my tuning needs. Shane (the tuning guy there) is big into FI and E85 and is a master, so I stick with what I know I guess.

But it doesn't hurt to give them a call to see what they do on returnless fuel setups with higher flow pumps. Maybe they run the OE high flow pumps off cars like the Ford GT that are made to flow a lot without a return system. Maybe the Bosch 044 inline would be a better choice, I'll have to research them, and I know they outflow a single Walbro 255.

deedubb, I know the stock would still work fine if the inline fails, but how would you know the inline fails? Or if it happens mid-pull and the stocker can't keep up. I guess you'd be ok if you watched a fuel pressure gauge or wideband, but I won't have one. That's what scares me about dual pumps, if just one fails. If both are gone obviously there isn't a problem because the car will just die instead of run lean and blow up.

I wouldn't know if it failed. I can audibly hear it when i fire it up but I guess it could still make noises and not work properly. I guess if you're looking for that sort of reassurance, you'll need a FPR and/or a wideband.

JSarv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I guess when I get more time I'll read through the thread a little more thoroughly but from what I seen your getting apx 10mpg on E?

There should be no reason to leave any straight gas in your tank as your effectively defeating the main purpose behind E85. I ran E85 in my Subaru for almost 3 years (50k miles) summer/winter and our blend locally is ALWAYS at least 85% via water separator testing. If you are having starting problems there are ways around that issue during the winter, IE: block heater and added cranking fuel and timing.

I averaged 21mpg on 93 10% ethanol blend and around 18.5-19mpg on straight E85. I did all of my own tuning and tuning for quite a few other Subaru's and they key is lean into boost (open loop, WOT, what have you) and lean towards redline. On my "mileage map" I could squeeze out around 24mpg on E, which is actually about a full point better than I could on 93 octane.

A maggie + pulley on E - could be very very potent...

-Jerod

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.