E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; That would also work well for running a tune for meth and if you run out, back the timing down ...
    ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: E85 Conversion on Maggie'd V

That would also work well for running a tune for meth and if you run out, back the timing down so nothing pops. I like it.

97BlueDeville is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06' DTS

The Weather conditions were very similar for both days. Dynoing at 7pm Nov 4th, and yesterday mid day, if I remember correctly it's very close to the same, possible that it was cooler on November 4th actually.

IAT's were better like Dave stated, about 20 Deg less on average. You cannot take these readings into account 100% anyway as the IAT does not see the real results as it's sensing air temp prior to the fuel spraying into the runners. Though I will say this, the manifold was cooler to the touch after each run than before, so it's safe to say running Ethanol just makes everything cooler, very similar to running Meth Injection, as far as cooling properties.. Both in conjunction would be very nice, and I plan on running that in my 2 project shop cars for next year.

The tuning was done with HP Tuners. No they cannot give 2 tunes, unless you make 2 different tunes and load each one with a laptop. Something might be done with a Flex Fuel PCM, where you can have a tune for gas and E85 in the computer, but you'll need to have the Flex Fuel pump and sensors in-tank to tell the PCM the % ratio of Ethanol and Gas. alot of work changing everything out, not worth it in my opinion.

Yes the single inline pump is good to 550 to 600 RWHP respectfully, on GAS in my experience. Take off % for running E85. Though this has not been tested as yet, and we can only speculate on the results.

On the initial dyno with the Magnavolt installed with the stock fuel pump, there was no lack of fuel, I actually had to lean out the PE tables in the upper rpms as boost increased, due to the fuel pressure increase. Otherwise he would go too rich in the upper rpms.

Yes you can use the Magnavolt on the in-line pump, to increase the output under boost, an additional (25% roughly) of fuel flow could be had by using both in conjunction, probably nearly doubling the amount of fuel flow more than a stock pump can provide on its own... But at these levels I would wonder if the inline would cavatate due to increase need from the stock pump. Perhaps use the magnavolt on both pumps, thats possible, though not been done. Besides, I dont trust those things anyway, BAP's have failed on more cars than I care to count, and I would not trust 100% a setup like that.. I would much rather use a Meth kit installed to supply more cooler air charge, and more fuel.

Clint

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by 97BlueDeville View Post

The tuning was done with HP Tuners. No they cannot give 2 tunes, unless you make 2 different tunes and load each one with a laptop. Something might be done with a Flex Fuel PCM, where you can have a tune for gas and E85 in the computer, but you'll need to have the Flex Fuel pump and sensors in-tank to tell the PCM the % ratio of Ethanol and Gas. alot of work changing everything out, not worth it in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    Frost on LS1tech is currently making dual tune chips for our PCMs. It has been going on in Australia for a long time now and FROST has brought it to the US in an affordable package.

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products.htm
    Just switch the tune when you need to fill up with gas instead of E85. It's all on a toggle switch.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

... Yes you can use the Magnavolt on the in-line pump, to increase the output under boost, an additional (25% roughly) of fuel flow could be had by using both in conjunction, probably nearly doubling the amount of fuel flow more than a stock pump can provide on its own... But at these levels I would wonder if the inline would cavatate due to increase need from the stock pump. Perhaps use the magnavolt on both pumps, thats possible, though not been done. Besides, I dont trust those things anyway, BAP's have failed on more cars than I care to count, and I would not trust 100% a setup like that ...
    You bring up a point that has puzzled me here since dubb's first set of pics were posted.

In his setup, the inline pump that's been added depends on its supply of fuel from the stock fuel pump, so the inline pump can't supply any more than the stock pump can supply, so how is it that this works? Is the stock pump able to supply more in this situation because it's now working against, effectively, no back pressure?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Frost on LS1tech is currently making dual tune chips for our PCMs. It has been going on in Australia for a long time now and FROST has brought it to the US in an affordable package.

http://www.tunedbyfrost.com/products.htm
    very cool, if we had more turbo guys on here it would really be helpful to them.

nice to see a niche product that has the cts-v listed

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

I do have an extra PCM

Max-Q is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V & Escalade

Just switch the tune when you need to fill up with gas instead of E85. It's all on a toggle switch.
    This is the route I'm going to take. I've got about $1,200 to play with for this mod and the first $375 will go to this dual chip PCM.

Next will be a 90mm throttle body, 60# injectors, larger s/c snout, inline walbro 255 and a tune.

I can't wait to switch to e85

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Q View Post
    This is the route I'm going to take ... I can't wait to switch to e85
    How close to sea level are you?
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Ill enjoy it for now, but will need to step up my game again soon I believe . I gotta keep up with you lower elevation boys

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by deedubb View Post
    Ill enjoy it for now, but will need to step up my game again soon I believe . I gotta keep up with you lower elevation boys
    At some point you're gonna need a bigger fuel tank aren't ya?

...to the moon!

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    How close to sea level are you?
    Between 400-500 feet above.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Good link for people who are looking to run E85.

http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...2%3D3294945686
    Thanks. I was thinking that this would be a cool mod, so I started looking into it.

1. The closest stations to me with e85 are 15, 25, and 30 miles from my house, and none are anywhere close to where I travel.

2. Considering the recommendation to keep 1/3 of a tank of gas at all times (5.8 gallons), that leaves you with an effective fuel tank size of 11.7 gallons.

3. My average MPG now at 13 would be roughly 10 with e85, which would get me approximately 117 miles between fillups.

Conclusion: If I had to travel 15 miles to get the e85, the round trip takes 3 gallons out of my tank, which costs roughly $6, the round trip according to mapquest is 1 hour, and leaves me the ability to travel about 85 miles when I'm not traveling to and from the e85 gas station.

Guess it's not for me.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_510 View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking that this would be a cool mod, so I started looking into it.

1. The closest stations to me with e85 are 15, 25, and 30 miles from my house, and none are anywhere close to where I travel.

2. Considering the recommendation to keep 1/3 of a tank of gas at all times (5.8 gallons), that leaves you with an effective fuel tank size of 11.7 gallons.

3. My average MPG now at 13 would be roughly 10 with e85, which would get me approximately 117 miles between fillups.

Conclusion: If I had to travel 15 miles to get the e85, the round trip takes 3 gallons out of my tank, which costs roughly $6, the round trip according to mapquest is 1 hour, and leaves me the ability to travel about 85 miles when I'm not traveling to and from the e85 gas station.

Guess it's not for me.
    You are over thinking this. Just fill your trunk with gas cans, but don't get rear-ended.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    You are over thinking this. Just fill your trunk with gas cans, but don't get rear-ended.
    No kidding. Just grow your own corn and make a still. You will have all the fuel you need and you can drink the left overs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.