Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Seafoam before or after header install?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  stars_fan 
#1 ·
Have all the stuff to seafoam my car. Have headers going in this week. Better to seafoam it before or after the header install? Also removing the cats.

Keep in mind the shop will be tuning after the install, so perhaps before would be better to start clean?

#4 ·
I'm a true believer in Seafoam as a maintenance item. I use it to clean all my cars' throttle bodies and intakes every 10K miles.

I like a clean house.

#5 ·
Do it before the install and tune. You may also want to change the oil after the cleaning. Some of the seafoam is going to find its way into the crankcase, as will some of the built up carbon and varnish. It will probably clean up the ring packs and valve stems, providing a better seal and airflow. After the application of the chemical, shut down the engine, let it sit a bit to let the chemical loosen up the crud, then restart it and go for a drive to blow out the debris. Don't just sit in your driveway and rev the crap out of the engine. It may also help blow out some trapped gunk in the cats.

#6 ·
I did a seafoam treatment on my 05 and the damn thing wouldn't cut off. Normally when you get near the bottom of the can the car has stalled out but even without the key out of the ignition the car kept running. I ended up getting in and letting the clutch out to stall the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.