2 1/2" vs 3" Exhaust and Diff Heat - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2 1/2" vs 3" Exhaust and Diff Heat in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; You may have a very valid point! Why oh why did GM not include a diff cooler?!?!? Bill...
    5CTRVET is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2 1/2" vs 3" Exhaust and Diff Heat

You may have a very valid point! Why oh why did GM not include a diff cooler?!?!?

Bill

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5CTRVET
    You may have a very valid point! Why oh why did GM not include a diff cooler?!?!?

Bill
    Good question. I keep hearing this diff cooler dilemma...where can we get one (and sorry, no, I didn't bother to search) and how much $$$ and PIA to install?

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

how about different rear end lubes? like Amsoil? would that make heat less of an issue?

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just a comment on exhaust. I deal with stainless components everyday. I have not taken measurements yet but I think you will find that stainless is a really bad radiator! as opposed to steel. You can get pretty close to a hot stainless pipe before you really feel the heat. IMO
    Unless you are sitting in traffic and its 105 in Phoenix, I dont think the exhaust is going to cause the diff to get hot enough.

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Of Course GM engineers say that wheel hop is a natural part of operation too

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lasstss
    Just a comment on exhaust. I deal with stainless components everyday. I have not taken measurements yet but I think you will find that stainless is a really bad radiator! as opposed to steel. You can get pretty close to a hot stainless pipe before you really feel the heat. IMO
    Unless you are sitting in traffic and its 105 in Phoenix, I dont think the exhaust is going to cause the diff to get hot enough.
    what about titanium exhausts?

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

I have not taken measurements yet but I think you will find that stainless is a really bad radiator! as opposed to steel.
    lasstss is absolutely right!

Stainless Steel is a very good thermal insulator, (very low Thermal Conductivity), which is why it's used in heat shields all over the place.
    http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...?bassnum=Q304A

Aluminum however is a very good thermal conductor (Thermal Conductivity is 10x higher than SS)
    http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MA0001

Titanium is an even better thermal insulator than SS.
    http://www.matweb.com/search/Specifi...bassnum=MT0001

FWIW, many of the C5 guys that track their cars take apart their perfect good stock brakes and replace the factory aluminum brake pistons with Stainless Steel ones! Effectively adding a heat shield between the brake pads and brake fluid. I've done mine, it's a major PITA... but it make a big difference.
    http://www.dougrippie.com/drm/brake_...aliper Pistons

I keep hearing this diff cooler dilemma...where can we get one (and sorry, no, I didn't bother to search) and how much $$$ and PIA to install?
    Haven't heard of a specific kit for the V, but C5 places like LPE, Mallett, Dougrippie can easily put something together for you.

Cost (guessing): $650-$850

Install: Yes, a major PITA... you need to mount the radiator part somewhere... the pump... get power to the pump... (pumps are LOUD!)... probably a thermostat, and then all the hoses and fittings.

It's always the classic argument against having oil cooler all over the place... lots of plumbing, lots of weight, lots of $$$, and lots of FAILURE POINTS.

Clearly, the risk of something failing in the cooler: pump dies, something hits an oil line, and you dump oil all over the freeway and destroy your diff anyway FAR OUT WEIGHS all this 3" exhaust nonsense!

Tranny and diff cooler radiators and pumps... no oil lines yet:

Why oh why did GM not include a diff cooler?!?!?
    Because 99.7% of CTS-V owners will not drive their cars hard enough to overheat the diff oil (i.e. on a track).

The diff's aren't failing due to overheated fluid... they are failing because they cant handle the engine power and/or the stress from wheel hopping.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    Because 99.7% of CTS-V owners will not drive their cars hard enough to overheat the diff oil (i.e. on a track).

The diff's aren't failing due to overheated fluid... they are failing because they cant handle the engine power and/or the stress from wheel hopping.
    Quoted for truth.

I doubt most of us, even with the 3" exhaust, will see any real detriment over that which is already created by wheelhop and higher than designed for (?) horsepower levels.

So, I guess the next upgrade will have to be a spool for the drag racers and a high(er) performance, stouter differential for us curvy road drivers!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.