Accessory power location
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Accessory power location in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Installing a bottle heater in the trunk for the nitrous bottle. What is the closest accessory (12 volt) power source ...
    dannboss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 BMW M5 | 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Accessory power location

Installing a bottle heater in the trunk for the nitrous bottle. What is the closest accessory (12 volt) power source I can tap into?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: Accessory power location

There is a power line running between the fuse boxes under the rear seat.

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    There is a power line running between the fuse boxes under the rear seat.
    Thanks!!

Beginner question..... Which one is it? Color? How can I check?

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

DO NOT run the heater off an existing accessory line. The heaters draw a large amount of power and need a dedicated line to the battery. What you are going to want to do is run a relay to the heater activation switch and then a dedicated power line to the relay.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Kmajecki posted three great videos of his uninstall on youtube. I searched around but forgot the titles. My hotmail doesn't load upo for some reason or I could provide the links. He has sold his V but he may be around.... I'll PM him and see if he can hook it up.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

He is on line now....

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

My you tube is: http://www.youtube.com/555ctsv

But i see now that i took down the N2O vids. Prob as i was selling the car i didnt want to scare off any potential buyers. The video didnt really say much about the heater anyway.

You can tap into accessory power for the switch, but it needs to just be for powering the relay. I would suggest going straight to the battery, or perhaps tapping into that heavy gauge wire we used on the relay for the nitrous solenoid, although if the heater was on while you were spraying i wonder if that could cause issues? Other's can chime in on that. Also that wire is all the way up front, so if you're going through the trouble of running a line that far you might as well just run a new one to the 12v on the battery.

I believe i used the 12V from the rear cigarette lighter for my cutouts and for the bottle heater relay. I was cautioned from the people i bought my heater from that the amps the heater draws could actually melt the toggle switch if a relay wasnt used... I put the relay in the trunk under the spare tire bucket. Very close to where the nitrous line enters the trunk there's a little pocket of space just big enough between the bucket and the metal. I used a self tapping screw to ground it to the sheet metal and it worked fine.

Thanks Kmajecki. I called Nitrous Outlet and they convinced me that I probably don't have to have a relay, but I might as well wire one. Interestingly enough, the Zex auto thermostat heater didn't come with one, and the instructions don't ever mention one.

But I think what I am going to do is have the switch powered by accessory power, and the bottle heater draw from the battery through the relay. Should be the safest way to do it.

CTSVmapper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by dannboss View Post
    Thanks Kmajecki. I called Nitrous Outlet and they convinced me that I probably don't have to have a relay, but I might as well wire one. Interestingly enough, the Zex auto thermostat heater didn't come with one, and the instructions don't ever mention one.

But I think what I am going to do is have the switch powered by accessory power, and the bottle heater draw from the battery through the relay. Should be the safest way to do it.
    its plain and simple that Nitrous Outlet are a bunch of douches to even say that, did they also tell you to run no fuse?.. cause you could get away with out one . Relay is a must and is the PROPER way to function a bottle blanket as SKULLV says.

N2O outlet isn't bad, but they are lacking in some of the electrical tech knowledge that HSW, NOS, NX, etc have.

It did come with a 30amp inline fuse. I went to autozone at lunch and picked up a relay. Now for the fun part.

I laugh everytime the word douche is used on these forums. It is such a ridiculous word, but funny.

Hmm if it came with a 30amp fuse, then surely Zex made sure the switch could handle it. Worst case the little 20gauge cig lighter wire melts! lol

After seeing the bottle heater pic on their site, there seems to be a box on the side of the heater. Perhaps this is some type of voltage step-down-thinga-ma-jiggy?

Actually i just got off the phone with ZEX, their tech also said no relay is required and that the cig lighter 12v will be fine. He even mentioned they offer a module that actually has a cig lighter plug on it!

Cig lighter module

Looks like the douches may have been right

Here's another install that didnt use a relay: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ous/index2.php

Just because it's done that way doesn't make it right, just lazy. The RIGHT way to do it would be with a relay no matter what.

And please do not call me some sort of fanboy like whisler...I'm in the process of switching noids to n2o outlet noids. Each company does something right. Hen you combine all the best stuff piece for piece you will have the best kit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.