Billy Boat Exhaust System & Exhaust Tip Photos
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Billy Boat Exhaust System & Exhaust Tip Photos in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Tuesday, August 3, 2004 The Billy Boat Exhaust for the CTS V-Series progressed nicely today as we completed the prototype ...
    bbexhaust is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Billy Boat Exhaust System & Exhaust Tip Photos

Tuesday, August 3, 2004

The Billy Boat Exhaust for the CTS V-Series progressed nicely today as we completed the prototype system. Although the system is only tacked together, I couldn't wait to hear it so we started the car on the lift.

It sounds AWESOME. A deep, throaty idle and a nice bark as we brought up the revs. Should be driving it by lunch tomorrow, so I will give a full report tomorrow.

Check out all the progress HERE

I decided to go with a 4.3" round tip with a double wall. I posted a few other tips on the web site, but I think the round is the best overall option.

Thanks.

Billy Boat

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Re: Billy Boat Exhaust System & Exhaust Tip Photos

Looks great! Can't wait for the sound clips.

CTSV_Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Looks great! I'm glad I ordered to mine today.

Oh, good decision on the round tips.

5CTRVET is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I personally think the 996TT tip looks the best since it follows the curve of the cutout and then stays flat with the bottom of the rear bumper. It also look like it would be rather easy to angle it a bit to match the bumper as well. The round tip hangs a bit too far below the rear bumper IMHO. Otherwise the system looks great.

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

FIRST CLASS! Beautiful, wonderful, outstanding. I like both tips. The Porsche tips are UNIQUE. Great job.

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Billy,

From the pictures it looks like we'll be getting a new resonator that will be located before the rear axle, is this correct? Did you also listen to the exhaust without the resonator and was it to loud? Love the way everything looks. You'll have my credit card tomorrow. How soon for sound bites??

Thanks,
    Shane

Tomorrow morning will be interesting for me when I tell my wife that I ordered a B&B exhaust tonight.

Question for you Billy - Since you're using 3" pipes, will they clear the BMR Anti Wheel-Hop kit bar that spans across the two front mounting bolts of the rear, lower control arms? BMR Kit

I should have video and sound clips on the web site by Friday, but I will post the DB levels today.

I will check on the clearance of the BMR kit. I will make sure it is not a problem, as the car does need some help to control wheel hop.

Billy

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

BB: Can you provide some more info on the resonator...why you decided to use one vs. using an x-pipe and no resonator.
    Is the resonator internally an x-pipe? an h-pipe? straight thru design?

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by bbexhaust
    I should have video and sound clips on the web site by Friday, but I will post the DB levels today.

I will check on the clearance of the BMR kit. I will make sure it is not a problem, as the car does need some help to control wheel hop.

Billy

Sounds great...

Billy -

I noticed in the "other exhaust" thread that the other manufacturer had concerns about 3" tubing overheating the differential...your thoughts?

Looks very cool. I like the round tips best and think this will be a great addition to an already great car. Hopefully it won't interfere with the BMR kit that I've already installed....

Actually, I just looked at the faq site and it appears from the pictures posted that everything is about the same clearance as the stock exhaust, although the stock pipes do have a little "heat shield" of sorts right at the differential. Might have to simply wrap the exhaust there if it becomes an issue...but I doubt it.

Can't wait

ssmith100 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Wildwhl,

You beat me too it. I would alos like to know about the concern of the rear differential. My own personal thought is I don't see how it could make that much of a difference, but heh, I don't build these. Of course I've really never seen two competing vendors ever say really nice things about one anothers products either.

Shane

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Heck, Shane, I don't know...I sing nothing but praises of my competitors!

I guess the only real issue could be the amount of heat that builds up in the resonator - direct flow would be right onto the differential since it sits that much farther back in the system.

I, too, would like to hear Billy's thoughts on the resonator design and selection, even though I know I won't be disappointed.

My goal with this system was to increase the flow with full 3" tubing and a very deep exhaust note. I wanted a little more volume, but not NASCAR loud and with no drone at cruise. The center resonator helps to accomplish this.

I really can't discuss how it works, but it is performance enhancing and helps to control the sound.

I plan to try an x-pipe, headers, and hi-flow metal cats next week.

Billy

5CTRVET is offline Cadillac Owners Member

posted earlier:

"I noticed in the "other exhaust" thread that the other manufacturer had concerns about 3" tubing overheating the differential...your thoughts?"

"I would alos like to know about the concern of the rear differential. My own personal thought is I don't see how it could make that much of a difference, but heh, I don't build these. Of course I've really never seen two competing vendors ever say really nice things about one anothers products either."

This ws GM's concern NOT Corsa's...this info had been given to Corsa from the GM Engineers. Also Corsa was not bad mouthing B&B at all. Sounds to me that GM knows that the rear diff runs hot and could lead to a problem. I can see it now...dealer denies rear diff repair/replacement due to aftermarket exhaust system! The hottest points in any exhaust sytem, other than the cats and headers/exhaust manifolds, are the bends of the pipes since the hot gases are "ramming" into the tubing to make the bend. If you look at the exhaust system layout, there is a pretty good bend right at the rear diff. This could possibly lead to a high heat situation.

Just to let you know that I am not biased one way or another, I have B&B systems on my 02 2500HD D/A and my 02 Yukon XL and I had Corsa systems on my 98 C5 Convert and 03 Z06. IMHO they both make very good systems and I am sure either system will be worth the money/wait.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.