Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: What's the best performance tuner kit?

Question What's the best performance tuner kit?

I'm considering getting a performance package for the CTS-V...However, I am faced with two options. I need some feedback on which one of these is the best regarding value for your money.

OPTION 1: Mallett CTS-V Package
    5.7L (346 cid) LS6, 471 HP @ 6000, 433 lb-ft @ 4600
    400 RWHP
    0-60mph in 4.4 seconds
    >>> $16,500

OPTION 2: More Performance Stage 1 Procharger Kit
    450-460 RWHP
    Don't know 0-60mph performance.
    >>> $7,700

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

trekster is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V R.I.P.

Re: What's the best performance tuner kit?

If you have money to blow get the mallet.
    to the forum.

I would say wait for a few more kits to be finished, these kits seem a bit expensive, and you may wanna hear peoples reactions first.....the market isnt developed enough...then again for my cts i couldnt wait so i dunno how important that is for u

StreamLine,
    I think the best thing to ask yourself is what end-state are you looking for on your car? If you want a car that looks and idles stock then I would recomend a big-cube soft-cam motor. If you don't mind it being rough then heads and cam. If you don't mind the extra maintenance and attention to tuning then a blower is a great option. Once you get a feel for the kind of car you want in the end, then I would recomend getting the best tuner you can afford that specializes in that end-state.

good luck!
    -Adam

Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

It goes anywhere from a 447 stroker for 18-20k installed to a mag/ati supercharger kit for $7-9k installed. You can get a solid head/cam package that will get you in the 450-500rwhp (depending on how aggressive the cam is) range for $6-8k. That includes headers/cats/exhaust.

If you plan on doing any type of track or hard driving, I would go with naturally aspirated rather than blower.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    It goes anywhere from a 447 stroker for 18-20k installed to a mag/ati supercharger kit for $7-9k installed. You can get a solid head/cam package that will get you in the 450-500rwhp (depending on how aggressive the cam is) range for $6-8k. That includes headers/cats/exhaust.

If you plan on doing any type of track or hard driving, I would go with naturally aspirated rather than blower.

Just my thoughts.
    My thoughts on that:

Head/Cam car... Very cheap, but you give up civility.

Bug Cubes: Ideal but expensive

Blower: Civility of a big Cube, price of a heads/cam plus a little.... however the car becomes fickle and requires much more attention to tune.

In a perfect world I would go for a big cube car every time. In a Vette I would have no problem with losing the civility and going heads cam, but in a Caddy, thats the appeal to me. I can handle the maintenance and headache of a mild blower, so me personally I would go with a tuner installed Magnusson. (Tuner installed so I'm not responsible for setting it up and keeping it proper...don't have time for head ache cars anymore).

I agree Shin. Only reason I would go head/cam is to stay NA for road/heavy beating on the car events. I bought the car for driving not for straight runs. That being said, the blower should be fine, it's probably just superstition.

Doing just heads and no cam (or a very mild one) would keep the car significantly more civil, I am thinking.

I agree Shin. Only reason I would go head/cam is to stay NA for road/heavy beating on the car events. I bought the car for driving not for straight runs. That being said, the blower should be fine, it's probably just superstition.

Doing just heads and no cam (or a very mild one) would keep the car significantly more civil, I am thinking.
    Have you checked out the MTI kits.... Very similar to Mallets kit... Looks like a lot of work for a good price.. They also claim it is very civil and nearly nothing was lost with everday driveability.. or something..

MTI scares me a little since I don't hear any tuners talking about their kits. Maybe I just am asking the wrong questions.

MTI scares me a little since I don't hear any tuners talking about their kits. Maybe I just am asking the wrong questions.
    Why would a tuner talk about another tuner?

MTI has built some great motors on CorvetteForum and LS1Tech. I personally don't have any experience with their product. All the builders I've delt with have gone under due to bad business.