Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; So, working at my normal breakneck pace , I finally started to install the Camaro toe links. Driver side is ...
    AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms

So, working at my normal breakneck pace , I finally started to install the Camaro toe links. Driver side is done, but I was too lazy to do the passenger side tonight. I'll try to get it knocked out tomorrow or Friday. Once I get both sides done and drive the car I'll report back.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Finished the job this weekend and drove the car a bit. I don't have any particularly good spots around here to push the car, so how it feels at max attack will have to wait until I head to the track again. So far I can't say I feel any difference, which I suppose is to be expected driving on the street.

Definitely not a fun install. The bolts on the inner ends of the toe links are just a pain in the ass to get to, so you don't have much range of motion with the wrench. It might be easier if you dropped the rear subframe to provide more access, but I dunno.

The poly bushings on the BMR toe links I used have grease zerks on them. However, BMR doesn't include any packets of grease (as I'm used to seeing with literally every other poly-bushing suspension component I've ever purchased for multiple different cars), nor is there anything in the instructions about lubing the bushings. I have a grease gun with a tube of Energy Suspension's bushing lube, so I knocked the bushing sleeves out and lubed the bushings ahead of install. (The bushings have grooves cut in the inner diameter, which would strongly imply that they should be pre-lubed - I don't know of any reason those grooves would be there other than to hold grease.)

I replaced the grease zerks on the inner ends with 90deg ones, because of the way the toe links fit inside a "pocket" on the rear subframe. With the straight zerks there's no way to reach them; even with the 90deg ones, it'll be very difficult to get the nozzle of a grease gun on there.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

That looks great. I might have to consider this if i ever order the cradle bushings and drop the cradle. Hopefully there is a noticeable difference in a track situation (I suppose that it wouldn't surprise me if you can't really feel a difference, but could see a small lap time difference if you could do a back to back comparison)

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    $280. I just bought it and will be installing it tomorrow, along with the Revshift subframe bushings and coupler.
    Any feedback on this Fuzzy? I'm due for an alignment and figured if I"m gonna do this, now is the time.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    Any feedback on this Fuzzy? I'm due for an alignment and figured if I"m gonna do this, now is the time.
    You might want to wait for the Creative Steel toe rods. They look a lot easier to adjust. As many have said, the BMR toe rods will give your alignment guy a fit.

SevillianSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    You might want to wait for the Creative Steel toe rods. They look a lot easier to adjust. As many have said, the BMR toe rods will give your alignment guy a fit.
    Is this a new part they are developing or are they on backorder? I don't see anything on their site about toe rods. Only reason I'm in a bit of a hurry is because my tires are getting pretty bad and I don't want to put new ones on and drive without getting an alignment.

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by SevillianSTS View Post
    Is this a new part they are developing or are they on backorder? I don't see anything on their site about toe rods. Only reason I'm in a bit of a hurry is because my tires are getting pretty bad and I don't want to put new ones on and drive without getting an alignment.
    It's a new product--you can see it pictured in their recent trailing arm thread. They were supposed to talk more about it last week, but as far as I know, they haven't discussed it or what it might cost. The only advantage that I can see in the Creative Steel part is the ease of adjustability. The BMR part has the advantage of having solid Heim joints on both ends for maximum rigidity. You'll need a big 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" wrench to adjust the nut on one end, and a medium sized wrench to jam in the cup on the other side. If you need more details, let me know and I'll try to take pictures.

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

Toe Rods are available. We have 4 sets as of now. Were will make more but have been.....occupied.

$329 a pair. They are greaseable and adjustable ON THE CAR. They come with 90A durometer bushings in both ends. We can go stiffer if you guys want it.

They are not on the website yet, call if interested.

Toe Rods.JPG
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

nikdsctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Max, I have a question on the toe rods. Why even have a poly bushing on the ends? Would it not be better if the ends were solid? I have just always thought that toe rods are better solid, and allow no room for deflection. Also, this naturall means I would opt in for harder poly.

Junior1 is offline Cadillac Owners Racer
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2011 Escalade ESV

Max any chance of a solid heim joint?
    My other option would be for my shop to make up some in delrin...
    2005 cadillac cts-v.r #83 nasa st3 . 2011 escalade esv . 2011 sierra denali

CSTech is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 04 CTSV

A very stiff bushing would work, but since one end of the toe rod moves up and down with the hub and the other end is connected to the sub-frame both ends of the toe rod must pivot.

The OEM toe rod bushings are a 60-65A, currently we have 90A. I will look in to some 60D which is close to the stiffness of a plastic shopping cart wheel. That would be very stiff, still pivot, grease-able and replaceable.

----------

Delrin would work too

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

For those who run autocross, heim joints are illegal in most classes where you run with a mostly stock car... poly/plastics/rubbers are still legal.

BradCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2005 CTS-V

How about a group buy?

Manofmetal01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V Kooks 1 7/8, Corsa, KW Var 3, Hotchkis sways
    Ill let you know, at least one of the 4 sets of toe rods is gone...muahahah

MotorMounts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 Black CTS-V

I am working on this fellas. Don't get a group buy going just yet. I will release a better price and the availability of more than 4 sets in a few days. Jordan has some 60D urethane coming, I'm sourcing some off the shelf threaded parts and have ordered some "back-up" tooling for the parts WE have to make. I will be starting a new thread, when I get it all together

I'm on the job,, Max
    Our phone number is 503-316-1811 We're here M-F, 8-5 Pacific Time.
    http://www.creative-steel.com
    maxx@creative-steel.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.