Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by crankedupforit With the original CTS V BMR rods fit was the issue. I had to machine spacers ...
    FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Looking for rear toe rods and trailing arms

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    With the original CTS V BMR rods fit was the issue. I had to machine spacers to take up the slack in the front mounting brackets. That being said, even if the G8s were a bit too thin, spacers will work as well.
    I absolutely agree. My plan on Wednesday was to call and ask them to identify the length of the 001 and 004 parts, which is the only thing that could really make or break the 004 for the CTS-V.

Dan_Gurney is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 - CTS-V

The hard part is the nub that fits into the knuckle. Being aluminum I like the nub to put the forces into the nub instead of trying to single shear the bolt.

The double adjustable G8 toe rod still has the same problem as the CTS-V BMR rod, the adjustment nut for the cradle side is a PITA to get to. That is why the stock ones adjustment was spaced so far out.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Gurney View Post
    The double adjustable G8 toe rod still has the same problem as the CTS-V BMR rod, the adjustment nut for the cradle side is a PITA to get to. That is why the stock ones adjustment was spaced so far out.
    Based on all these listings, it appears the G8 and '10+ Camaro toe rods are the same. There are some designs (like the Lakewood one crankedupforit posted a while back) that have a more accessible adjustment.

V for victory is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS-V, C5 Corvette, 2013 Dodge Durnago R/T

So I emailed Lakewood the other day in reference to our much needed parts and here is what I received back. read bottom to top.

Ticket #7706: In need of trailing arms and toe rods for 2004-2007 cadillac CTS-V,

-----------------------------------------

Scott, Jan 02 11:18 (EST):
    Hello,

Sorry, currently we do not offer replacement suspension components for the Cadillac CTS-V. I do not believe there are any plans to build parts for them in the future. I will however, forward this request to our Lakewood product manager to log the request.

Please let us know if you need additional help.

Thank you,
    -Scott

Technical Service
    Prestolite Performance
    10601 Memphis Ave. Bldg. 12
    Cleveland, OH 44144

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Phillips, Jan 01 12:54 (EST):

Hello, getting ready for some more Mods to my V, have been looking for heavy duty toe rods and rear trailing arms, what do you have or can you manufacture direct replacement parts for our cars. If you look at the forums, LS1 Tech and Cadilacforums, their is a demand and only one supplier providing these parts for our cars.

I've always wondered what the deal was with the G8/Camaro toe links vs. the V toe links, so I finally went ahead and ordered some BMR adjustable links from Summit. I figured if they didn't work out, it's only going to cost me shipping since I can send them back to Summit and get a refund.

I ordered this style because I think the adjustment in the center will be much more user-friendly than with it on the end (as the V-specific BMR links are). It looks to me like these will work out just fine with just a little bit of work.

Here's a comparison right as the Camaro/G8 part came out of the box. Obviously there's adjustability to be had, but even straight out of the box it was pretty much the correct length, so that answered the first question.

The second question is whether or not the Camaro/G8 version will fit the mounts on the V. You can also see that the bushing sleeve length is pretty close to correct when comparing to the short V bushing. With a vernier caliper I measured ~2mm difference (50.x vs 52.3mm), so about a washer thickness - not a problem.

What will require a little work is the V's long bushing sleeve, which is designed to go into the knuckle, as Dan_Gurney pointed out a few posts up.

The Camaro part doesn't have that extended sleeve. However, the outer diameter of the BMR bushing sleeve is within a fraction of a millimeter of the outer diameter of the stock bushing sleeve (I don't remember the measurements as I'm sitting here at work, but they were both 22.x or 23.x millimeters, with the BMR sleeve being slightly smaller in diameter).

So, I see two ways to deal with this.
    (1) You remove the stock toe links, remove the bushings with the long bushing sleeve, separate those sleeves from the rubber bushings (that's the hard part), and then use those long OEM bushing sleeves rather than the original BMR bushing sleeves. My slight concern with that is that the BMR sleeve OD is a fraction of a millimeter smaller than the stock sleeve OD, but it appears (based on a quick test) that the stock sleeve will still fit in the BMR bushing. It's probably not an issue.

(2) Alternatively, I was thinking one could push the BMR sleeve out part way (to give us the "nub" we need), and then come up with something to use as a spacer to fill up the remaining space. (See awesome attached MSPaint diagram.) You could use one of the stock bushing sleeves, similar to method #1, and just cut it into a couple of pieces to make the spacers - that way you would only have to go through the effort of removing 1 bushing from the stock toe links and separate just 1 sleeve from the rubber bushing. There's also the issue of fitting the BMR sleeve into the knuckle - as I said, the BMR sleeve's OD is slightly smaller than the stock sleeve's OD - will the BMR sleeve be too loose in the knuckle?

Edit: Got home and rechecked the bushing sleeve measurements. The BMR sleeves are actually slightly smaller OD than the stock sleeves - about 1/2mm difference. As you can see in my pic above, the stock long bushing sleeves have a thin layer of rubber over their entire length - that's basically the difference between them.
    Attached Images
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Brilliant. Get me some dimensions and I'll make you some sleeve spacers.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

runsfromdacops is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): twin turbo rear mount V1 CTS-V built 383. 875/860RW pump/met

if the bmr sleeve is a little biger od id think it would be better just to have a new sleeve made out of one piece . its going to need a step down to fit in the v hub any way and and im sure any machinest could bang that out super cheap
    whats the price on the bmr toe link any way?

FuzzyLogic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops View Post
    if the bmr sleeve is a little biger od id think it would be better just to have a new sleeve made out of one piece . its going to need a step down to fit in the v hub any way and and im sure any machinest could bang that out super cheap
    whats the price on the bmr toe link any way?
    $280. I just bought it and will be installing it tomorrow, along with the Revshift subframe bushings and coupler.

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by runsfromdacops View Post
    if the bmr sleeve is a little biger od id think it would be better just to have a new sleeve made out of one piece .
    True, but it depends how easy it is to get them out.
    CTS V Redline 05 . MOTOR-- Katech LS6 stage II H&C, Kooks 1 3/4, FAST102 w Nick W 102 TB, Corsa, Lingenfelter CAI, Stealth intake tube, UUC shifter,UUC motor, trans and diff mount. Exedy GT04SD Twin Disk clutch . Mocal oil cooler BRAKES/SUSPENSION-- UUC 2 pc. rotors, Hotchkiss sways, KW V3s coil overs, MAP trailing arms, SW cradle bushings and BMR toe rods, corner weighed. Team Dynamics ProRace wheels, 275/35/18 GAC Hoosier (track). Allston Rollbar, Sparco seats and Schroth harnesses.

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

It's likely the sleeves are not vulcanized to the urethane on the Camaro toe rods, so they should be able to push/press out. If the sleeves between the 2 vehicles are not the same diameters, then something will have to be done to make sure the knuckle side sleeve has the correct fit into the knuckle, or the hole in the knuckle will wind up opening up.

I just edited my post above because I was remembering the bushing sleeve ODs backwards. It's actually the stock sleeve that is slightly larger (~0.5mm), and that extra thickness is just due to it having a thin layer of rubber around it.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyLogic View Post
    $280. I just bought it and will be installing it tomorrow, along with the Revshift subframe bushings and coupler.
    You've got the CTS-V version? I think runsfromthelawenforcementofficers was asking about the ones I bought, the G8/Camaro version - they're $250. The Lakewood ones that crankedupforit posted about a while back appear to be very similar to the ones I've got and are $220, so an even better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by crankedupforit View Post
    True, but it depends how easy it is to get them out.
    Not too hard. I haven't removed one completely, but I pushed one out about 1/2" so I could get a better measurement of the OD. They're tight in the bushings, but a fat socket on one side of the bushing, a small socket on the sleeve pushing from the opposite side, and a quick whack with a mallet was all it took to move it.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

soflarick is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): none

OEM toe sleeves are .8750 OD.

Measure the OD of the Camaro sleeve, and the ID of the bushing to see how much interference fit exists. Then get a reamer or drill bit of appropriate size to achieve the same fit with the V sleeves. Some hardened spring shims or something would take up the slack of the narrower Camaro bushing assembly. They'd have to go around the OD of the sleeve and extend beyond the OD of the bushing. If they're narrower than the bushing, then the bushings will get squeezed when the fasteners are torqued.

I just received a used rear knuckle and measured the recess where the toe link bolts up (and also test fit a stock bushing there). It's not a tight fit - the recess in the knuckle is about 3/4mm bigger than the stock bushing sleeve. So, unless there's something missing on this used knuckle (like some sort of insert to go inside the recess and make the fit tighter) I don't think there's any issue using my #2 technique posted above.

While swapping around brake pads this weekend I went ahead and removed the driver side toe link to (1) verify the bushing is not a tight fit into the knuckle, and (2) test fit the BMR piece. Looks like the BMR toe links will work just fine, with the only drawback being that the grease zerk on the frame end will be inaccessible.

Stock link:

BMR link:

You can see in that pic how the inner end of the toe link is fully shrouded by the mount it bolts to, so you can't get to the grease zerk. If you put a 90deg zerk on there you might be able to get to it with a grease gun, but it would be pretty tight.

That picture is just to give a feel for how much clearance there is, as the perspective of the first pic makes it look like the BMR toe link is about to hit the subframe bushing mount. In actuality, I can fit the head of a flare wrench in there, so figure ~1/4" of clearance or maybe a bit more. Obviously a lot closer than the stock link, but based on cycling the suspension through part of its range of motion I don't think it's an issue.

brngrhd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Good work

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.