Monster Clutch Install - Page 9
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Monster Clutch Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've got over 17k on my level III and it still chatters like a mo fo. Albeit better than it ...
    CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Re: Monster Clutch Install

I've got over 17k on my level III and it still chatters like a mo fo. Albeit better than it was but it isn't something I prefer in a Cadillac. Sticky as can be but I'm not willing to have that for a trade off of teeth work when my fillings are rattled loose!
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    I swapped out my rides and I am back in the V.

I hate this clutch and it is getting replaced ASAP.

It is impossible for me to slip enough to get a smooth launch and stopped on a hill is the pits.

The "chatter" literally shakes the transmission fluid out of the vent so I end up with a nice red spot on my garage floor (it runs out of the drip pan there is that much).

I have all the parts for a Katech replacement.

Now I need to go get another bottle of Aleve........
    Mine's on 15k now. Still the same POS as the day we put it in. (angry face)

Getting swapped eventually after the diff.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Got my bottle of Aleve, a transmission jack on order and my buddy is loaning me his wood blocks so I can get it high enough off the ground.

This thing is getting replaced.

I can't stand it.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Ya, I keep waiting for Monster to make the twin disc that he's been saying they are making for months, but still no dice.

I really want a twin, and really don't want to remove the whole trans/fw just to put in a Stage 2 disc to replace my Stage 3. Poop to that.

ichpen is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'm steering well clear of Monster from this experience. Probably get an RPS or katech LS9 one.

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Lolly,
    Great write up...not sure how I missed it in round one of my searching...perhaps I saw the words monster clutch and just skipped it.

I guess I'm blind but I don't know how you got to that top bellhousing bolt from the engine bay.. It's dark out now so I'll look again tomorrow...all I have left is the top center bolt (can't rock the engine down enough to get at it) and the far side bolts. Can you confirm I'll be able to get these side bolts out without removing the cats? time for those dang gear wrenches I guess!...

CadzillaTN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    Lolly,
    Great write up...not sure how I missed it in round one of my searching...perhaps I saw the words monster clutch and just skipped it.

I guess I'm blind but I don't know how you got to that top bellhousing bolt from the engine bay.. It's dark out now so I'll look again tomorrow...all I have left is the top center bolt (can't rock the engine down enough to get at it) and the far side bolts. Can you confirm I'll be able to get these side bolts out without removing the cats? time for those dang gear wrenches I guess!...
    Answer1, get a step ladder and remove the garbage can lid, d-mass.

Answer2, yes, but a shorty wrench works best. Not sure how ill toque those down correctly.., oh well.

Now, lets talk about the bellhousing...what a mofo that was! +1 to the tip to pull the wire looms up and out of the way. I didn't, and was fighting them the whole time til I shoved them up and away using my extensions.

So I rotated it, and cursed alot, but it just didn't want to come out. I was hanging on the cats like a monkey trying to get clearance, clarence. No dice, so I loosened the pressure plate bolts.., and of course that bastard fell into the housing making things much more difficult. Here comes the clutch disc too...now it's a party. I slowed down and thought for a moment... Yep, lets loosen fatty flwheel's bolts and take the whole thing out at once..Success! Should have left the pp alone and done that to begin with.

Much like the trans, I have no idea how I'll get it all back in there if I re-use the stock fw. Maybe I'll be able to be more strategic on re-entry.

I did find a nice surprise though which I'll post about in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    I'm steering well clear of Monster from this experience. Probably get an RPS or katech LS9 one.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Got my bottle of Aleve, a transmission jack on order and my buddy is loaning me his wood blocks so I can get it high enough off the ground.

This thing is getting replaced.

I can't stand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ichpen View Post
    Mine's on 15k now. Still the same POS as the day we put it in. (angry face)

Getting swapped eventually after the diff.
    Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    I've got over 17k on my level III and it still chatters like a mo fo. Albeit better than it was but it isn't something I prefer in a Cadillac. Sticky as can be but I'm not willing to have that for a trade off of teeth work when my fillings are rattled loose!
    Ever since I beat the stage 3 down with this burnout.....the clutch has been DEAD quiet. Just the slightest bit of chatter (almost down to nil)

Seriously....Go beat on it and get the glaze off! Again, usually things work better when you beat them lolz

Quote Originally Posted by CadzillaTN View Post
    I did find a nice surprise though which I'll post about in another thread.
    Do tell

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Ever since I beat the stage 3 down with this burnout.....the clutch has been DEAD quiet. Just the slightest bit of chatter (almost down to nil)

Seriously....Go beat on it and get the glaze off! Again, usually things work better when you beat them lolz
    I completely agree. Only one problem with your strategy and my current differential!

Quote Originally Posted by CancerJCC View Post
    I completely agree. Only one problem with your strategy and my current differential!
    Oh ya, I forgot.

Do you have econo axles at least?

Even ramming through the gears a couple times helps!

1madstsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS-V,10 escalade,80 sedan deville diesel 99 c5 frc 78 z

I had a stage 4 in my c5 it was the worst clutch ever. I now have a stage 2 and love it it's just right. My car is 404rw/370tq I autocross and run the 1/4 mile a lot over 95 1/4 passes last year on the stage 4 I keap braking my rearend/trans I now have 20+ runs and it works like stock but holds at 4,000 rpm when I drop the clutch. I hope you like the stage 3.

bassillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 ctsv

You guys put an 18 pound flywheel in a 4000 pound car and you are suprised it chatters and is difficult to release smoothly? Why you think cadillac put that 45 pounder in there in the first place? You need a certain amount of rotating mass/weight to get a 4000 pound car rolling smoothly IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bassillac View Post
    You guys put an 18 pound flywheel in a 4000 pound car and you are suprised it chatters and is difficult to release smoothly? Why you think cadillac put that 45 pounder in there in the first place? You need a certain amount of rotating mass/weight to get a 4000 pound car rolling smoothly IMO
    It's cuz the stage 3 and up are puck style not cuz of the FW weight, ball sack.

Oh ya, I forgot.

Do you have econo axles at least?

Even ramming through the gears a couple times helps!
    Nope. With all these rear end solutions I'll just wait and do the whole thing at once.

It's cuz the stage 3 and up are puck style not cuz of the FW weight, ball sack.
    X2. Ball sack.
    lollygagger8 and lollygagger8 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.