Third Oil Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Third Oil Change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Third Oil Change

Well Iíve had the car for over 5 months now and put on just shy of 10k in miles as of today. It was time for oil change number three, itís been about 7k since my last change and Iím down 1 FULL quart of oil (kept forgetting to add the makeup oil when I got home). Did the oil change today with 7% remaining on oil life on the DIC; again I sent a sample of oil in for analysis. The magnetic drain plug was pretty clean. Also rotated the tires for the first time with 20% tread left, reprogrammed the TPS easily using the FAQ instructions. Also opened the rear diff fill plug and removed enough fluid to send a sample in for analysis as well (you may recall my rear diff is whining but dealer doesnít want to replace it, until itís broken). Iíll report back when the reports come in (about 10 days or so).

To date cost of ownership (maintenance only) : <$100 (oil changes are ~$30 each parts alone)
    Cost upcoming: TIRES!

Just thought ya'll would want to know.
    -Ben

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Third Oil Change

I did my first oil change yesterday. Parts from Autozone were about $45 (7 quarts of oil and a Mobil1 filter.) $10 to have local business change the oil and check the air in the tires. I did not want them poking around the car too much checking all the fluids.

I like to know how you saved $15 dollars on your oil and filter. Did you buy 7 quarts (Mobil1 5/30) and a high end filter or did you buy six quarts (assumed, since the car was 1 quart low) and a standard filter.

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by ttown
    I did my first oil change yesterday. Parts from Autozone were about $45 (7 quarts of oil and a Mobil1 filter.) $10 to have local business change the oil and check the air in the tires. I did not want them poking around the car too much checking all the fluids.

I like to know how you saved $15 dollars on your oil and filter. Did you buy 7 quarts (Mobil1 5/30) and a high end filter or did you buy six quarts (assumed, since the car was 1 quart low) and a standard filter.
    Try Sam's Club for Mobil1 by the case ($24/6 5W30) - cheaper than auto parts store

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Just got home from my second oil change at 2100 miles. Oil level showed normal usage. Changed transmission and rear differential as well. It drives noticably more smooth. In the history of the LS6 engine, Corvette owners initially complained of excessive oil consumption. The culprit on oil usage was, with a manual transmission, drivers liked the burbling exhaust sound when driving in second gear around town. The high RPM/low engine load condition caused added oil usage due to more blowby. This is still an effect. However, GM responded to the "second gear cruise problem" by installing new closer-tolerance piston rings. It is now less of a problem for such drivers; an added benefit is even more improved oil usage for all types of driving.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Stephen, what ATF did you use in the transmission? Did your diff mag plug look similar to mine that is in the FAQ?

Daniel Almestica is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Talking Re: Third Oil Change

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Stephen, what ATF did you use in the transmission? Did your diff mag plug look similar to mine that is in the FAQ?
    I think that you guys are paying a lot for a oil change I got my oil for 24$ in bx,nymobil1 and did it mysef.

7 quarts of M1 = $30-35. Quality filter another $10-11. So $45 total is what it costs and btw, I've never paid for an oil change in my life.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

My costs for doing in oil change -

Mobil1 Oil FIVE QUART Jug (From Walmart) = $20.02
    OR
    Mobil1 Oil Box of 6x 1-Quart bottles (From Costco) = $23.99

Stock Oil Filter AC Delco UPF-46 = $4.04
    Replacement rubber washer = $0.75

So either way 6.5 quarts (@~$4 each) + $~5 filter/washer = $~30.

ttown is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    My costs for doing in oil change -

Mobil1 Oil FIVE QUART Jug (From Walmart) = $20.02
    OR
    Mobil1 Oil Box of 6x 1-Quart bottles (From Costco) = $23.99

Stock Oil Filter AC Delco UPF-46 = $4.04
    Replacement rubber washer = $0.75

So either way 6.5 quarts (@~$4 each) + $~5 filter/washer = $~30.

Looks like I'll be buying my oil from good'ole Walmart from now on, thanks.

I didn't know they sold Mobil1

Walmart sucks. Poor white trash magnet. No thanks, I have all my teeth and I don't weigh 350 pounds.

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

For you upscale folks who want walmart prices (but dont shop at walmart because you have teeth and are not 350 lbs), Costco has mobile one as well (at selected stores). You get it for about the same price, but get individual quarts. Case (6 quarts) is about $22-25...

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

No Costcos around here. The cheapest M1 in my city is $27 + 8% tax for a 6 pack. The citizens of the quiet little city of 10,000 that still has a wonderful downtown and small, friendly, locally owned shops fought and fought to keep Walmart out and we lost. I'll overpay for my M1 to keep that economy ruining corporation out of my city.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Did the oil change today with 7% remaining on oil life on the DIC; again I sent a sample of oil in for analysis. The magnetic drain plug was pretty clean. Also rotated the tires for the first time with 20% tread left, reprogrammed the TPS easily using the FAQ instructions.
    Just curious. What were the results of the oil sample analyses that you had done previously? Did you have some metallic paste on the drain plug and did you sample it for analysis? I rotated my tires at 2000 miles because I was noticing some slight feathering on the outside edges which is typical of excessive positive camber. I think I will be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of these F1s.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

How about somebody give us a quick rundown on how to change the transmission fluid....and what to refill it with. I'd assume Amsoil would be good, but at what milage?

And I have Rhino ramps, a jack, and jack stands...that enough to rotate my own tires?

many thanks!

Try these, they may help.

Trans Oil Change

Diff Lube Change

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.