Third Oil Change - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Third Oil Change in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Reminder.... Routine Maintenance proceedures are located here (thanks to stealthV, Ben, and others for writing them) Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/rmaint.html many other questions ...
    ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Re: Third Oil Change

Reminder.... Routine Maintenance proceedures are located here (thanks to stealthV, Ben, and others for writing them)

Http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/rmaint.html

many other questions can be answered on the FAQ as well.

Reed
    http://www.cadillacfaq.com

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski
    And I have Rhino ramps, a jack, and jack stands...that enough to rotate my own tires?
    This sounds like a puzzler question. The ramps won't help when you change tires. And without a spare, it will be tough to get the left front to right rear.
    If you have a good hydraulic jack, you can raise half the car at a time. You can manage with two stands and a jack but it's not the safest way to do this.
    Use four stands and don't trust just your jack.
    Now you can get under the car for the diff, tranny and oil change

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 2004ctsv
    This sounds like a puzzler question. The ramps won't help when you change tires. And without a spare, it will be tough to get the left front to right rear.
    If you have a good hydraulic jack, you can raise half the car at a time. You can manage with two stands and a jack but it's not the safest way to do this.
    Use four stands and don't trust just your jack.
    Now you can get under the car for the diff, tranny and oil change
    yeah, that did sound stupid, eh? i had a few beers in me

How about 4 2-ton jack stands??

Then what? Put each corner up in sequence? Realizing my own stupidity, maybe it's best I just pay some garage to do it

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

With a $50,000 car it's always best to let a pro do any work that can affect your ride quality or internals. Just my two cents.

I've never CHANGED oil in my life, I do know how, but for the extra $5-10 I will let someone else - who I can yell at if they screw it up - do it.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Different strokes for different folks. I look at oil changes and tire rotation as basic maintenance that almost anyone can do with tools they likely already have. It's hard to get any satisfaction from working on your car nowadays because of the sophisticated tools or training you need. I might think twice about slapping a supercharger on my V myself - partcularly due to the warranty issues. But when I do the basic preventative maintenance it gives me a chance to look at other components on the car like brakes & suspension and check for leaks; ie, service you usually don't get unless you have your own personal mechanic. Some of us, like me, have probably done it ourselves most of our lives and the cost of the car doesn't make any difference. My 2 cents worth.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Installing a supercharger isn't any harder than changing oil, just takes more time.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

I'm with ya, Cal...but I already purchased the ramps and jack/stands and I gotta use them for something.
    I may stick to "simple" oil changes and maybe a CAGS hack, but leave the tires to the Goodyear guy
    Besides, I'll probably detail my undercarriage when I'm under there anyhow

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The ramps work fine for the CAGS mod - this should be first on you list, even before an oil change. Plus, the Caddy dealer/service won't disable CAGS for you, it's definitely DIY

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H
    Just curious. What were the results of the oil sample analyses that you had done previously? Did you have some metallic paste on the drain plug and did you sample it for analysis? I rotated my tires at 2000 miles because I was noticing some slight feathering on the outside edges which is typical of excessive positive camber. I think I will be lucky to get 10,000 miles out of these F1s.
    I have the wear on the outer edges of my fronts as well (which are now my rears).

The thread for the 1st analysis is here -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=9520

For the 2nd oil analysis see post #5 in this thread -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=10849

Third oil and (first) differential analysis are in.

Engine Oil (as stated above changed with filter) -

still high in SILICON @ 55PPM (but not as high as before) and
    high in COPPER @ 121 PPM

"ANALYSIS INDICATES TYPICAL CONDITIONS FOR BREAK-IN. The noted values are for monitoring purposes only. RESAMPLE at the next scheduled interval."

Rear Differenential (fluid UN-changed) -

high in COPPER @ 225 PPM
    high in IRON @ 762 PPM

"ANALYSIS INDICATES CONDITIONS REQUIRING CLOSE MONITORING. POSSIBLE SOURCES include: Gear or bearing wear. PERFORM the appropriate diagnostic tests. RESAMPLE at the next scheduled interval."

I'm not sure what to make of this but I'm open to hearing others thoughts.

-Ben

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by benjet
    Third oil and (first) differential analysis are in.

Engine Oil (as stated above changed with filter) -

still high in SILICON @ 55PPM (but not as high as before) and
    high in COPPER @ 121 PPM

Rear Differenential (fluid UN-changed) -

high in COPPER @ 225 PPM
    high in IRON @ 762 PPM

-Ben
    I can understand the heavy metal contamination from bearings and gears. What I don't understand is the silicon contamination in the engine oil. The Corvette forums say that silicon contamination in the LS6 is common due to leaching from gaskets or sand casted parts. Seems to me that GM should figure out a way to eliminate the silicon or silica by using different gasket material and/or better flushing techniques of the engine components before and during engine assembly. We as owners, obviously are expected to change the air filters to prevent silica dust entry into the engine via the air intake.

I changed my oil at 700 miles and 2700 miles - almost identical to your intervals. Due to what I've seen here I'm going to change it again a few more times at 2000 mile increments. Thanks for your input.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Silicon in engine oil can also caused by dirt (sand - "silica") ingestion through a leaking air intake clamp or intake manifold gasket. Are you using a cold air intake with a K&N style oiled filter?

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    Silicon in engine oil can also caused by dirt (sand - "silica") ingestion through a leaking air intake clamp or intake manifold gasket. Are you using a cold air intake with a K&N style oiled filter?
    Negative on aftermarket intake/filter - all stock here (for now). I dont like either of the 2 currently available options enough to spend $ on them.

-Ben

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.