Yet another cam question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Yet another cam question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; This is more of an experience question. *MODS Please move this - Clicked on wrong forum-* I am going back ...
    uwood is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Yet another cam question

This is more of an experience question. *MODS Please move this - Clicked on wrong forum-*

I am going back and forth on 2 different cam profiles.

Vengeance VXR4 (228/230 .588/.592 112 LSA)

and Comp 54-428-11 (228/230 .571/.573 112 LSA)

as you can see they are very similar specs, hell almost spot on the same.

So I guess my question comes down to experiences. What is everyones feed back on Vengeance?

Oh... some facts on the build

Ported LS6 heads
    Cam (that is in question)
    Springs and push rods (obviously)
    Kooks L/T
    Custom exhaust

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Re: Yet another cam question

youre looking at two very similar cams both ground by comp cams. So in effect, to answer your question, the difference is lift amount. If your heads are ported I would think more seriously about 610 590 for lift numbers. Get a little more air in there while the valves are open and really let those heads do their thing. At higher numbers piston to valve clearance can become a big deal, which is why I didnt go higher than 610. I have seen people with LS6's and 630-640 even, but Im timid.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    youre looking at two very similar cams both ground by comp cams. So in effect, to answer your question, the difference is lift amount. If your heads are ported I would think more seriously about 610 590 for lift numbers. Get a little more air in there while the valves are open and really let those heads do their thing. At higher numbers piston to valve clearance can become a big deal, which is why I didnt go higher than 610. I have seen people with LS6's and 630-640 even, but Im timid.
    Thanks for the info. I am really nervous about PTV. I was going to stay in the .580 range, but you have had good luck with >.610 then maybe I could lookin at

236/238 .601/.605 113LSA the VRX5

Claimslngr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' cts-v infrared

Quote Originally Posted by uwood View Post
    Thanks for the info. I am really nervous about PTV. I was going to stay in the .580 range, but you have had good luck with >.610 then maybe I could lookin at

Call and talk to Ron at Vengeance and he can help you make your decision. The 5 is a little lopey but but creates a hell of an idle. I have only heard it on an LS2 but Ron can tell you if your LS6 will run it.

Quote Originally Posted by uwood View Post

Im running a Texas Speed 233/239 .595 .603 112LSA. I debated jumping up the lift to 620/610 to give the intake valves a little more breathing time, but decided against it just cause I didn't want to push the PTV to a level that was, well, scurry and wasnt worth the what, 2 horsepower were talking about here?

That cam VRX5 is about as big as youll want to go on an LS6 without some serious mods. On an LS2 I would say thats about the limit though one of the guys on here has a 242/248 from Comp and the thing sounds EVIL. Granted he has a heck of a lot of mods. I myself think the 233/239 is mass overkill for the LS6 and was going to do a TR230/236 initially, but idle sound and future mods dictate what I get to buy. Yes, Im one of THOSE guys. In the meantime, itll just be a little more "fun" for my tuner.

kpc01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

are you using the original valves in the heads? We went with a 228/232 588/595 comp cam and have VERY simlar mods to your setup. we ported the heads but also put 2.02 1.60 valves in them. We also milled the heads some to bump the compression. theres a vid of my wifes car a little ways down, if you want to check it out.

Yes I am using the original valves. I also decided on the Comp cam 228/230 112. Everything is on order. If it get here this week, I will tear into this weekend and get it tuned hopefully Monday.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

You guys can get a little more radical with the cam selection. My old cam ---> 239/242 .649"/.609" 111 LSA I ran this cam with patriot extreme gold springs good to .660" lift and never had a single problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    You guys can get a little more radical with the cam selection. My old cam ---> 239/242 .649"/.609" 111 LSA I ran this cam with patriot extreme gold springs good to .660" lift and never had a single problem.
    649/609?? Yeesh and I thought I was pushing it. I thought about 233/239 with a 110 lsa but decided against it because the 112 *MIGHT* just pass california emissions standards, but a 110 surely wouldn't. Yay bureaucracy!

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Man, the lowest LSA i would run is 115. I have seen some cars with 110/112 and i couldnt put my drink on their car. Shake shake shake shake.....poor shocks work even at stop...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.