A bit confused about "tuning"...help needed!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, A bit confused about "tuning"...help needed! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; After much searching I found some brand new B&B headers and the x pipe B&B catback for a great price. ...
    crash32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

A bit confused about "tuning"...help needed!

After much searching I found some brand new B&B headers and the x pipe B&B catback for a great price. So I am about to pull the trigger, but had some questions about getting it tuned.

I have 3 places within 100 miles of where I live that tunes a lot of F bodys and Corvettes. So I thought that would be my best option to have it tuned somewhere that had a dyno.

I noticed that quite a few people here have the Wait4Me tune so I gave them a call. They told me that a dyno tune is not needed. I am sure that they have developed certain programs for the V based on the mods, but would it still not be best for it to be tuned via dyno??

I feel a bit uneasy about getting a "cookie cutter" tune, but for the price $160 it sounds cheap! If I had it tuned at a dyno shop.... for JUST the dyno runs it would cost me $200 plus the cost of tuning. Can someone tell me the best and safest way to get my V tuned after my mods.

It is my daily driver so I don't want any mistakes!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Re: A bit confused about "tuning"...help needed!

A personalized tune is always better, as each vehicle is different. With that being said, with headers and cat back, a mail in tune is fine.

Personally, I'd rather have mine done on the road or dyno. But if it's a difference of $450 for custom tune vs $160 for mail in...mail me that SOB.

PISNUOFF Guest

As whisler151 said, it is better to have a tune that is tailored to your car and your area's atmospheric conditions. I'd try to find a shop that will tune again for free or discounted price after future mods.

2003RC51 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
    After much searching I found some brand new B&B headers and the x pipe B&B catback for a great price. So I am about to pull the trigger, but had some questions about getting it tuned.

I have 3 places within 100 miles of where I live that tunes a lot of F bodys and Corvettes. So I thought that would be my best option to have it tuned somewhere that had a dyno.

I noticed that quite a few people here have the Wait4Me tune so I gave them a call. They told me that a dyno tune is not needed. I am sure that they have developed certain programs for the V based on the mods, but would it still not be best for it to be tuned via dyno??

I feel a bit uneasy about getting a "cookie cutter" tune, but for the price $160 it sounds cheap! If I had it tuned at a dyno shop.... for JUST the dyno runs it would cost me $200 plus the cost of tuning. Can someone tell me the best and safest way to get my V tuned after my mods.

It is my daily driver so I don't want any mistakes!!

A mail tune and many dyno tunes are cutting corners. The best way will always be on the street/strip. If you are getting tuned on a dyno I would make sure it is a Mustang or similar load dyno that can simulate the weight of the car and wind resistance and load it accordingly.

But as Whisler151 said with minor bolt ons and as many mail tunes as wait4me has done and feedback that he has received his tunes are probably pretty close. I will be ordering one of his tunes for my car in the next couple weeks to hold me over till I can get my EFI Live installed.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by 2003RC51 View Post
    The best way will always be on the street/strip. If you are getting tuned on a dyno I would make sure it is a Mustang or similar load dyno that can simulate the weight of the car and wind resistance and load it accordingly.
    Interesting. Mine is street tuned. My tuner said it would be better for real world scenarios, but may not yield higher numbers on the dyno. I'm sure if it were on the dyno he could squeeze a few more hp out of it, but i'm happy with my car and the numbers.

2003RC51 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Interesting. Mine is street tuned. My tuner said it would be better for real world scenarios, but may not yield higher numbers on the dyno. I'm sure if it were on the dyno he could squeeze a few more hp out of it, but i'm happy with my car and the numbers.

The numbers might be higher on the dyno but not always will those dyno numbers equate to the real world. A lot of times with dynos that don't load the car correctly once you get the car on the road you will run into a lean condition since the engine is under a higher load than it was on the dyno.

Shon Herron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Black CTS V

crash32: Where are you located?

Street and track tuning is the 'best' but lots of people want to know the numbers therefore they all migrate to a dyno.
    Since I am over an hour away from a dyno, I street tune with WB and if customer wants to know the RWHP numbers they can schedule some pulls wherever they wish. it makes what it makes. but I have tuned cars that outperform many others with just street/track tuning.

With all that said, I wish I had a dyno, I would have the best of both worlds!

wait4me is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma

Our tunes should be VERY VERY close. We have done 1000s of them for this car type since 2003..

The price is $160 shipped for a computer you get to keep that is fully tuned to all your mods AND YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR STOCK COMPUTER.

We never have charged for updates and never will. So if you go to a dyno day "when a dyno costs 50~ dollars" , and get air fuel ratio, or send me a log, with the computer and i set it up EXACT.

Shon Herron is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Black CTS V

wait:
    you dial in the WOT AFR with PE table or MAF? with just the dyno run file?

I THINK..... just think that I might go with the W4M program. I spoke to Hannah Bubb with W4M over the phone and he e-mailed me and seems like a very nice person. The only problem is I would LOVE to see what numbers my V will put down on the dyno.... curiosity I guess!!!!

By the way, I will not be running cats....... could W4M turn off the rear 02 sensors with their program without actually being able to access my vehicle's ECM?

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I THINK..... just think that I might go with the W4M program. I spoke to Hannah Bubb with W4M over the phone and he e-mailed me and seems like a very nice person. The only problem is I would LOVE to see what numbers my V will put down on the dyno.... curiosity I guess!!!!

By the way, I will not be running cats....... could W4M turn off the rear 02 sensors with their program without actually being able to access my vehicle's ECM?
    We all wanna see our numbers.

Yes, he sends you a PCM already tuned.

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

Quote Originally Posted by wait4me View Post
    Our tunes should be VERY VERY close. We have done 1000s of them for this car type since 2003..

The price is $160 shipped for a computer you get to keep that is fully tuned to all your mods AND YOU GET TO KEEP YOUR STOCK COMPUTER.

We never have charged for updates and never will. So if you go to a dyno day "when a dyno costs 50~ dollars" , and get air fuel ratio, or send me a log, with the computer and i set it up EXACT.
    Deal of the Century!!! You can always get a few pulls after the W4M install. A strong point to consider is that Jesse has probably tuned more Vs, and probably more LSx motors, than anyone.

onebadcad - you have a pretty good point about how many LS engines Jesse has tuned. Thanks for the help guys. Oh yea... stupid question but where is the chip located in the V? I am assuming that the actual chip is about the size of a matchbox? I am just curious.

justin311 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS-V

The PCM is located in front of the drivers side tire. Behind the plastic mess.

Jayrcr3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

onebadcad - you have a pretty good point about how many LS engines Jesse has tuned. Thanks for the help guys. Oh yea... stupid question but where is the chip located in the V? I am assuming that the actual chip is about the size of a matchbox? I am just curious.

There is no "chip". You replace the whole ecm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.