@#$^!* UUC Transmission Mount - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, @#$^!* UUC Transmission Mount in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by SkullV What about drilling down a bit into the steel plate and tack welding the studs into ...
    lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Re: @#$^!* UUC Transmission Mount

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    What about drilling down a bit into the steel plate and tack welding the studs into place? That seems like an easy fix if UUC takes too long.
    That's UUC's job, not mine. Knowing them, that's all they will probably do anyways.
    I still have the stock mount that is perfectly fine anyways.

I should be getting a free f'n mount for all the trouble UUC has caused me anyways! If I didn't know how to do it myself, I would've paid BIG $$$ so far paying someone to do MM's twice, and now a Trans Mount twice. Why aren't they posting in here?

I'm also talking my badass machinist buddy about getting one made as well. I'm tired of vendors handing out shitty untested products to people who pay their hard earned $$ for garbage.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    That's UUC's job, not mine. I still have the stock mount that is perfectly fine anyways.

I should be getting a free f'n mount for all the trouble UUC has caused me anyways! If I didn't know how to do it myself, I would've paid BIG $$$ so far paying someone to do MM's twice, and now a Trans Mount twice. Why aren't they posting in here?

I'm also talking my badass machinist buddy about getting one made as well. I'm tired of vendors handing out shitty untested products to people who pay their hard earned $$ for garbage.
    The Creative Steel mount is great man, and there's a mechanism inside the mount to hold it together and you can see that the studs are welded into the plate.

Doctornick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Oh man this isn't good. My clunk was kind of coming back since i have ~ 6k miles on the car since the trans mount install.
    I guess I should have known since I only put the trans mount on and held off on the motor mounts because of the impending recall
    Hopefully UUC comes thru with a solution on the quick. I was about to go in for a clutch swap

mpunklil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctornick View Post
    Oh man this isn't good. My clunk was kind of coming back since i have ~ 6k miles on the car since the trans mount install.
    I guess I should have known since I only put the trans mount on and held off on the motor mounts because of the impending recall
    Hopefully UUC comes thru with a solution on the quick. I was about to go in for a clutch swap
    Your clunk came back? I got my clunk back after about 1k miles, but I think it may be something else...I retorqued everything damnit

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

I took two minute to put small tack welds between the studs and the plate last night. Problem solved Thanks for three pages of ranting so I knew to fix this before I had the car up on stands.

-Hammar

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Hammar View Post
    I took two minute to put small tack welds between the studs and the plate last night. Problem solved Thanks for three pages of ranting so I knew to fix this before I had the car up on stands.

-Hammar
    Lol, your welcome!

I'm sure that's UUC's "big fix" to the problem.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hammar View Post
    I just took a look at mine (still in the box uninstalled) and that was my immediate thought, too. I don't know how to weld, but I'm sure I can take the mount a couple miles down the road and have it done for $10 or maybe a 6-pack.

That still leaves me to wonder about some sort of positive safety interlock so the mount can't tear apart completely. This is how Energy Suspension's mounts are made for other vehicles:

I don't know if there's anything similar inside the UUC mount, and I don't particularly feel like cutting it open to find out since that would kinda ruin it.

The Creative Steel mount is great man, and there's a mechanism inside the mount to hold it together and you can see that the studs are welded into the plate.
    Well, you can see that something's been welded to the plates, but for all I know it's flimsy and won't do a thing. Of course, if you ask to see how it's done, you're told to stop asking questions and trust that it works.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

you could just buy one and cut it open if you want to know how they work. people blindly trusted the UUC mounts.

Man you bitch about eeeeeverything, you must work in an industry where there is NO proprietary information...

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    I just took a look at mine (still in the box uninstalled) and that was my immediate thought, too. I don't know how to weld, but I'm sure I can take the mount a couple miles down the road and have it done for $10 or maybe a 6-pack.

That still leaves me to wonder about some sort of positive safety interlock so the mount can't tear apart completely. This is how Energy Suspension's mounts are made for other vehicles:

I don't know if there's anything similar inside the UUC mount, and I don't particularly feel like cutting it open to find out since that would kinda ruin it.

Well, you can see that something's been welded to the plates, but for all I know it's flimsy and won't do a thing. Of course, if you ask to see how it's done, you're told to stop asking questions and trust that it works.

2003RC51 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Man you bitch about eeeeeverything, you must work in an industry where there is NO proprietary information...

This is a transmission mount and there are only a couple of ways to build a positive stop into it. Saying that it is some type of secret is going a little far. The truth of the matter is that "MotorMounts" led people to believe that there "might" be a positive stop and there might not be a positive stop with the following comment from an earlier thread:

Originally Posted by The Tony Show
    I find the lack of a positive stop on both of those mounts disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorMounts View Post
    Do you have to see it to believe it's in there?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ctsv154
    You can clearly see were something was welded to the metal on the creative steel mount. You can see the discoloration in the metal. There is something in there!

Good eye 154, I'll have to cover my tracks better from now on. You are correct, "There is something in there!".

There is NO positive stop in the mount which is quite disappointing as The Tony Show said. The welding discolor is more than likely from something to retain the urethane from separating. Probably a U-bracket or L-bracket that is welded to one side of the mount and is surrounded by the urethane so it is not relying solely on the adhesion to the flat base bracket. The post from "MotorMounts" below is how I know there is not a positive stop:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slithering_Joe
    Max, does your mount have the positive stop design similar to the factory mount?

Nope, the way I look at it, if you build the mount correctly by not relying on the adhesive quality of the urethane to glue the upper bracket to the lower bracket you'll be way ahead of the factory mount that does have a positive stop.

I think the CS mount has a leg up on the UUC but I still think they both lack in engineering quality and should definitely have some type of positive stop. No matter how you look at it the urethane will deteriorate eventually and if there is no positive stop it will come apart at some point in the life of the mount. To end, It is a transmission mount and it is not rocket science and all this mystery crap that is going on is ridiculous.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    you could just buy one and cut it open if you want to know how they work. people blindly trusted the UUC mounts.
    And now people are blindly trusting the Creative Steel mount as well. We know it's better than the UUC one because, ummmm... the studs don't spin! Oh, and there are signs that the plates have something welded to them, but we don't know what that something is. We just know "its in there".

I'm sure there is something in there. I don't think MotorMounts is lying about it. But I don't think it's in our interest to just blindly trust that products are made correctly just because we're told "its in there". 6 or 8 months ago people were quick to jump to the defense of UUC and their products any time someone aimed some criticism towards UUC. Now the story has changed because, sure enough, not everything they sell is God's gift to CTS-Vs. I would think that track record would make people want to have a bit more information on a new product before saying it's better than what we had before.

Yes, this is soooooo proprietary and secretive that Energy Suspension has pictures of how they do it on their ****ing website.

Edit: Interesting quotes, 2003RC51. I hadn't read all of the threads about the Creative Steel tranny mount, so I hadn't seen his comment that there's no positive stop. But I guess I'm just bitching about eeeeeeverything when I ask questions like this.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Edit: Interesting quotes, 2003RC51. I hadn't read all of the threads about the Creative Steel tranny mount, so I hadn't seen his comment that there's no positive stop. But I guess I'm just bitching about eeeeeeverything when I ask questions like this.
    My comment to you was not specific to this thread or this topic. Every time you post an answer or a question it is a negative comment.

Slithering_Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, Powered by Chevrolet

Well said 2003RC51, AAIIIC.

It's not rocket science and I have no idea why the *secrecy* and why the tap dance answer to my positive stop question. Some may see (but I hope not) the importance of the postive stop when the urethane in the mount gets old and then they go to showoff the performance capability of their vehicle at the dragstrip, street or road course and the mount suddendly rips out under wide open throttle.

mount secrets Now since it is such a 'secret' I have my doubts that there is a positive stop.

We could all pitch in a few bucks to someone what has alreadypurchased and received a mount and sacrafice it to see how it was made.

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

maybe that could be a good idea for this forum. certain parts maybe we all chip in and the forum can find a way to test various things. mounts, clutches, brakes... etc.

mpunklil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Raven Black 2004 CTS-V. Broken Diff!

Everyone...real freakin easy. Take your mount to a muffler shop, have them throw a tack weld on it for ten bucks, and put it back in. End of story. They might even do it for free if you shmooze em enough

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.