Will no cats cause any problems??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Will no cats cause any problems?? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have done some research and I think I am good to go with my plans, but just wanted to ...
    crash32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Will no cats cause any problems??

I have done some research and I think I am good to go with my plans, but just wanted to confirm with the V experts!

I will be running headers (B&B or Kooks) with no cats and had just a couple of questions. I will be having the V tuned after installing the headers so the tuner will turn off the O2 warning signals. Will the computer still be able to regulate the air/fuel mixture? I am assuming that the O2 sensor is strictly an emmisions tool and not an engine feedback tool.... am I correct?

Since I will be running no cats.... will my car smell like sulfur when I open it up at WOT? If so, will this only happen at WOT and not normal crusing speeds?

I will be able to pass inspection (we will not be discussing details of that)
    My concern is actually getting the no-cat system installed. I am assuming that no exhaust shop will do it because it is "illegal". So I am guessing that leaves it to me and my buddies. Is this something that requires welding? I am assuming so, but I wanted to ask someone who has had first hand experience.

Thanks guys!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Will no cats cause any problems??

By the way, I just youtubed some videos of different exhausts on V's. Is it just me or is it that the videos of the B&B header and B&B catback with no cats sounds INSANE!!! It seems as if it sounds a lot more muscular than the Magnaflows! But it could be just that these videos are of higher quality or the microphone was positioned closer to the exhaust.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

No cats will cause no problems at all. You may have a slight raw fuel smell at times but I have no cats and dont really notice it. The rear O2 sensors are the only ones deactivated and all they do is monitor the cat to make sure it works. The pre cat O2's do the reading for AF ratio and they will remain active.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Yes it will. It will cause you to be even more BAD ASS!

But seriously...as long as your tuner does his job you will have no issues passing inspection. Here in Texas, all they do is plug into the computer to check for check engine lights. No lights, you pass. I've been without cats for 2 years and passed with two thumbs up each year.

Regarding removal of cats...if you have a relationship with a local shop use them. If not, ask around on the forum for a good shop near you. Most will not admit that they will do it over the phone. Your best bet it to drive out and ask them in person.

Smell...yes, it does smell. It doesnt smell enough that ive ever had a passenger notice it. Of course I always press the recirc button when I start the car.

I'm very excited about getting headers and a complete exhaust for my car! I still have some decisions to make such as Kooks vs B&B and also the B&B catback vs the Magnaflows!!

The only bad thing is I watched a youtube video of a V with a full B&B system (no cats) with a cam.... oh my god!!!!!! That was just sick!! Now I want to cam it, but I will practice a little bit of self control here.

If you click on the YouTube link in my signature you can hear my car. I'm kooks, no cats and Magnaflow. If you don't like the sound of mine, then go with the full BB set up.

I too will be adding a cam. Can't wait, it will sound so good.

PISNUOFF Guest

Check out some of my vids on Youtube for some on track sound of a full B&B with a resonator and cats. You can search for 'hotrodctsv' on youtube for more vids. I have a video somewhere that has it just idling and it shows the cam lope pretty good. I'll try to look for it later.

Here is a good one at Beaverun, although my clutch was slipping.

ashanson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V + maggie

I run without cats, and just needed to turn off my rear o2. It does smell occasionally, but mostly after getting on it. I have kooks headers and a corsa catback, the sound is amazing. Pretty quiet inside the car, can just hear the maggie whine when WOT but with the windows down it sounds like a full out muscle car, it's pretty loud & aggressive sounding even at part throttle.
    One night a few friends were behind me and between shifts they claimed to see a bit of fire out the back, not surprising I guess for a straight through exhaust.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

I ran my B&B's without cats and it was louder and stinky.

Was fun until I got the "excessive noise" citation

With cats and the X pipe it is still very loud, but I haven't been stopped since.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

Most of the customers I have had with B&B on eventually take them off.
    It sounds awesome but you can hear it idling 2 blocks away.

Apart from the incredible pollution levels and severe violation of federal emissions regulations you should be just fine.
    Don't let Al Gore find out!

PS, that means I do not endorse doing this, there are plenty of options to keep emissions levels down and enjoy a nice exhaust note.
    We still do all have to breathe after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    PS, that means I do not endorse doing this, there are plenty of options to keep emissions levels down and enjoy a nice exhaust note.
    I am just doing my part to offset all the damn hippies driving Prius' around.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

That kind of motivation I can get behind.

That loud???? I can understand LOUD, but...... that loud?? I've heard a top fuel dragster and now, I believe those to be too loud for the street, but only by a little As long as I can carry a converstation at a low volume while I am crusing around with the windows up.... I am game!!

I have listened to many youtube videos of the Kooks/Magnaflows vs B&B full system and the B&B does seem a bit more solid, but not much louder. How much louder is the B&B system than the Kooks/Magnaflows? Does ANYONE live in NC that has a B&B set up on their V???

Quote Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
    I have listened to many youtube videos of the Kooks/Magnaflows vs B&B full system and the B&B does seem a bit more solid, but not much louder. How much louder is the B&B system than the Kooks/Magnaflows? Does ANYONE live in NC that has a B&B set up on their V???
    Jpoole has the full B&B setup. Unfortunatly he still has cats and resonators. Once her gets the x pipe he and I will do a side by side video. That way you have the same camera and acoustic features and can judge each in the same element.

For me it was price. There really arent any hp differences between the B&B and Kooks, and the overall db levels at idle/WOT are close. It was much less expensive to go with Kooks/Magnaflow then the full B&B.

Well it did occur to me if MOST people that have their B&B setup ends up taking them off; there should be quite a few of them used for sale!!!!!!!!!!

So...... come out people. I will take them off your hands for a nice price

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.