Nitrous Oxide....way better than cags! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Nitrous Oxide....way better than cags! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Hammar Have you done work to the fuel system or tweaked the tuning to support a 100-dry? ...
    CTSVmapper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.

Re: Nitrous Oxide....way better than cags!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammar View Post
    Have you done work to the fuel system or tweaked the tuning to support a 100-dry? I'm running ~40 dry and it's running my injector duty cycle right to 100% at 6200. I'd go with a bigger jet (famous last words..), but it looks pretty tapped out on the stock setup already?

Hammar
    You need to get RED Tops minimum...they are 30lbs rated at 43.5lbs (1 bar). Rail pressure... someone can verify.. off my head is 58psi.
    The stock injectors are 28lbs?? 27? cant remember... but rated at that flow at a higher bar.

30lbs/hr at 58psi = 34.64lb injectors... should easily handle a 100hp shot.

You could also up the rail pressure... may not be enough though.

You can download my xls here for injector changes... (im old school though) www.trafficjams.ca/injectorscale.xls

second holdback will be the pump...

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

This is the stuff I need to know. My fuel rails can't handle it? My fuel pump can't handle it.. I knew it was to good to be true.
    I haven't tuned the car. I thought the computer would add more fuel as needed. This is too fun to remove. So, this is how mod hell starts. Why did I have to do it? I loved the car the way it was but its faster now. What do I need to do to keep my motor safe?

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

If I were you and if you REALLY want to run a dry kit...I would get with the times and run the shot post MAF and use the HSW interface to control timing and fueling. I would also get some 42# injectors and get a proper tune for them. That will support up to around a 150 shot dry, anything more and you need to look to replacing the fuel pump. Our stuck pump supports my 125 wet shot, but anything more is pushing it.

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Awww come on guys dont discourage him! lol A stock engine with a 100dry shot for occasional use (not weekly strip visits) do you really think he needs extra pumps, injectors, fuel rails, timing controllers, etc.? I'm all about safety and perhaps the shop i went to is nuts, but they seemed to think the 100shot with my cam and misc other mods would still be ok with my stock injectors and such. I'd definitely suggest a dyno tune at your local shop and see what they say. Also give the guys at Nitrous Outlet a call, they also seemed to feel the stock setup was adequate and they sell injectors and pumps, so not sure why they wouldnt want to try to sell me things if i really needed them. If in the future you want to turn it into a wet kit it wouldnt take much, another solenoid and nozzle or ring and you're set, the nitrous outlet guys can get ya set up

Also, not sure about this guys other mods, but how was that guy at 100 duty cycle with just a 40shot?!

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    This is the stuff I need to know. My fuel rails can't handle it? My fuel pump can't handle it.. I knew it was to good to be true.
    I haven't tuned the car. I thought the computer would add more fuel as needed. This is too fun to remove. So, this is how mod hell starts. Why did I have to do it? I loved the car the way it was but its faster now. What do I need to do to keep my motor safe?
    Dont be turned away... just be aware.

We need to be clear on things.
    A) are you completely stock?
    if so...
    100hp dry shot is no problem tuned by someone. Done.
    - things to be aware... Nitrous pressure changes 'hp rating' - lots.. i like to keep at 1000-1100psi... you will see any pressure under 800 will suck.
    - rpm changes tq values...

If I remember... 86ish% duty injectors on a stock setup..

hitting 100% only 40hp shot... something doesn't jive for sure!

Who said fuel rail change?
    If you have some mods, cam, bolt ons, and a 125Hp or more...
    Injectors will not safice.. after that,
    you will see your pump starve...
    I have a dyno run with that happening... showing the massive dip in the curve.

Summary:
    100hp is no problem on a STOCK setup.

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Go spray it on a dyno with a WB on it and verify your a/f then kill it and read the plugs. No tuning should be required on a stock car with a pre-maf 100hp dry shot, but like I said I would run an Interface controller from Harris Speed Works and put the nozzle post maf so you get the correct timing pull and fueling every time.

SkullV is right... before MAF.. no tune required...
    Monitoring A/F with wideband and watch knock, timing, and a nice dyno to post is all you would need.

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Aside from a small dry shot pre-MAF (0.025" jet I think...), it's 100% stock. Even had the dealer window sticker in the glove box and kid car seats in the back

We hooked up EFI Live to monitor and made a few passes down a local dragstrip (13.08@110, 2.1 60 foot time). With that little bit, we picked up ~3mph and 0.25 second over my best NA pass. It was peaking at 100% injector duty cycle, pressure was stable, knock counts didn't rise.

I'm using a WOT/RPM window switch to activate it, best money I've spent on 'insurance' ever...

Sure does make me smile when it's extra hot outside!

(edit: not sure why it's so high on the duty cycle, definitly something I will dig in to before I go any further with other mods...)

Hammar

Quote Originally Posted by Kmajecki View Post
    What other mods do you have? That seems like a lot of fuel

I wonder if you are freezing the MAF...
    (this is possible to do)... if you are spraying directly down the throat of it...

Hammar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTSVmapper View Post
    I wonder if you are freezing the MAF...
    (this is possible to do)... if you are spraying directly down the throat of it...
    It's laying on top of the air filter, pointing straight up towards the lid. It'll make a bit of frost on the lid if I do a long run spraying it.

In any case, a set of 42lb's will make a lot of headroom.

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    I have a 100 shot dry from Nitrous X. Its my only mod and I must say its a good choice for power.
    Yea i think you're ok V-Love, but i'd look into injectors and such if you want a bigger shot. Someone once suggested to me using a magnavolt instead of swapping pumps as changing the actual pump can be costly... But again that was only if i wanted a bigger shot

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.