1 7/8 kooks Installed :D
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 1 7/8 kooks Installed :D in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Finaly got these on. Gotta say best mod so far as far as feeling a power gain. The car rips ...
    maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

1 7/8 kooks Installed :D

Finaly got these on.

Gotta say best mod so far as far as feeling a power gain.

The car rips now, its amazing how hard it puts you back in your seat.

I cant beat it to much cause it does need to get re-tuned. I can feel some dead spots at certain RPMs , and im not sure if its running to lean so I only opened it upalittle.

Just orderd my hendrix clutch kit tonight so after that is installed I'll retune.

Im running the kooks cat connectors along with a x-pipe and OBX mufflers that stay pretty quiet untill I get on it, which I like. And I think Im going to buy a electronic cutout down the road but for daily driving I dont like it to loud. I barly have any drone at all..

The only thing Im not happy about it how close the headers are to the steering rod...I think i can feel it touch on hard right hand turns...
    My only thought is my motor mount isnt fully doing its job anymore ?
    .. But im going to look into it more another day..

Im amazed at how tight everything is next to the connectors, but everything there seems ok.

I also need to upgrade the clamps that connect to the cat connectors to the stock catback, they are cheap ass autozone ones that I dont like , the kooks didnt come with them like I thought they did. .

here are some pics, and a very poor video I took tonight. But its got good sound

Was anyone elses 1 7/8 set this close ?? ( its about a 1/8 inch away from the pipe...)

I honestly dont like it that close but ill dealwith it till I have time to mess with it again..

heres the Video , volume up. My cam has a slight chop to it, the tune mellowed it out alot compared to when I first got it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-TcYEE35_s"]YouTube - CTS- V with kooks headers and comp 220-224 112 cam idle TSM[/ame]

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Re: 1 7/8 kooks Installed :D

That's a 112? I guess 110 is where I want to be.

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

112 with a smaller duration sounds like that (btw sounds great), if you want crazy poppy and scary sounding 230/236 or a 233/239 on an LS6 should get you there with a 112LSA. Your 07 LS2 could probably handle a 242/248 or something like that on the big cam side cause of the larger displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    yup, its a baby cam. Still has manner just like stock, and you can run boost with it on the stock bottom end.

Remeber choppy doesnt mean lots of power, just means you need a tune or you just have a wicked high diration.

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

I posted this in your other thread too, but figured I'd put it in here too for anyone that doesn't visit the other place...

Wow those 1 7/8s look really big,.

Here are some pics of my 1 3/4. I've seen some people with the same size as me that came a lot closer to the steering shaft, I think one guy even dented his headers a little to make room.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    112 with a smaller duration sounds like that (btw sounds great), if you want crazy poppy and scary sounding 230/236 or a 233/239 on an LS6 should get you there with a 112LSA. Your 07 LS2 could probably handle a 242/248 or something like that on the big cam side cause of the larger displacement.
    I don't really understand, but have grown to accept, the fact some folks make exhaust modification decisions based soley on how it sounds rather than how it performs. But I will never understand choosing camshafts on that basis.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor
    Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    Thanks. Cam comes this winter. Gonna go big. I don't really know much about cams so excuse my ignorance. I guess the low lsa doeant necessarily mean it's choppy. Aiming for 430hp/400tq.

Sorry for the thread jack...congrats on the instal!

CTSVmapper is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05 V - Procharged / N20 - yea, why not.

You want lumpy... g5x-3 or g5x-4 if you want to fly cut the pistons.
    I used a G5x-3 on stock displacement, and the shifter would shake like mad! Awsome.
    Stroked to a 383, used same cam, and sounded almost stock again.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

The G5X1 is what I have with the maggie and it sounds great and the car runs very well. Nice little chop too.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

If all you want is a lumpy idle it would be cheaper to either have your tuner mistune the idle range or add a toggle switch to shut off a coulple coil packs from the driver's seat.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    If all you want is a lumpy idle it would be cheaper to either have your tuner mistune the idle range or add a toggle switch to shut off a coulple coil packs from the driver's seat.

Thanks. Cam comes this winter. Gonna go big. I don't really know much about cams so excuse my ignorance. I guess the low lsa doeant necessarily mean it's choppy. Aiming for 430hp/400tq.

Sorry for the thread jack...congrats on the instal!
    Do some research beacuse Biggest/chopiest cam you can fit isnt always the best option.

if you go to big you'll have issues when the car comes to a stop and it will also give you problems when you run the A/C. also make sure theres a good tunner in your area which is most important. And your gas milage can drop to the single digets which I didnt want..

A medium/smaller cam can make more power through the entire curve instead of just a higher peak... very good for street use..

For a big cam to make good street power you need to make sure all the suporting parts match it.

I wish I went alittle bigger with something like a 228tr.. But bigger then that can just turn into a pain.

lurk around ls1tech internal section youll learn alot..

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Sounds good, how long did the install take u?

I need big stacks of cash like you so i can follow in your mod foot steps.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    Sounds good, how long did the install take u?

I need big stacks of cash like you so i can follow in your mod foot steps.

total time was about 7 hours.

But I worked in 3 hours shifts after work so it took me alittle longer.
    Then it took me an hour on friday to finish it all up...

smashn808 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Radiant Silver CTS-V, 6MT

Sounds nasty. If Chuck Liddell were a car, that's what he would sound like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.