Not impressed with KARS III...so far. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Not impressed with KARS III...so far. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Has anyone gotten spacer measurements yet? I am trying to figure out if my bushings are too thin or if ...
    SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Re: Not impressed with KARS III...so far.

Has anyone gotten spacer measurements yet? I am trying to figure out if my bushings are too thin or if there is another problem (the bushings will not sit tightly in the cradle even with the car on the ground).

According to Randy's measurements it should be:

.OD.......Length......Qty
    2-1/2".....9/16".........2
    2-1/2".....?????.........2
    ...3"........7/16".........2
    ...3"........1/2"...........2

According to the directions with the "Gen 2" Kars III kit it should be:
    2-1/2".....3/8"...........2
    2-1/2".....1/2"...........2
    ...3"........3/8"...........2
    ...3"........1/2"...........2

Like I said, the ones that came with my "gen 2" Kars III kit are a little loose

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

These cradles are all off because they are not assembled nor welded in a jig. They are tacked together and then welded on a table. Guess what happens when you do that?

btw, I still have yet to hear a reasonable explanation of how this "KARS cradle" does more good than the problems it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    These cradles are all off because they are not assembled nor welded in a jig. They are tacked together and then welded on a table. Guess what happens when you do that?

btw, I still have yet to hear a reasonable explanation of how this "KARS cradle" does more good than the problems it causes.
    Well, even with the shitty fitment and the loose bushings it killed 90% of my hop.

I have never doubted that. But I wonder what kinds of problems it is going to introduce later on. Problems that will likely not even be traceable back to the kars. If it is helping to hold the differential in place better, that is undoubtedly going to transfer mechanical stresses and strain somewhere else in the chassis.

I think if people accepted the limitations of this car, they would be much happier with it.

I have never doubted that. But I wonder what kinds of problems it is going to introduce later on. Problems that will likely not even be traceable back to the kars. If it is helping to hold the differential in place better, that is undoubtedly going to transfer mechanical stresses and strain somewhere else in the chassis.
    It keeps the differential from twisting, but does allow some up/down motion. I honestly feel that it will not cause any true problems down the road. If you are afraid of hurting the diff you can take the diff support off and just use the cradle support portion of the kit.

I hope for your sake you are right. But I look at pictures of that cradle, how it works, and what it does, and just looks all wrong to me.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I still contend that using the pinion brace in conjunction with the KARS kit focuses all the stress of the flexing cradle and diff onto the nose of the diff, which is why we've seen several vehicles with this setup split the case right at the front.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    I still contend that using the pinion brace in conjunction with the KARS kit focuses all the stress of the flexing cradle and diff onto the nose of the diff ...
    Hm-m ... funny you should say that. I did another vid of the noise I've been having a problem with. Put the mic near the output shaft of the tranny then moved it to point at the nose of the diff. Hope to post it up tomorrow morning sometime. It sure as heck sounds like the noise is coming from exactly there ... the nose of the diff. Also funny, though, is that I've never done more than three or four burnouts the whole time I had the KARS kit on and those were with the DSS/Hendrix axles.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    It keeps the differential from twisting, but does allow some up/down motion. I honestly feel that it will not cause any true problems down the road. If you are afraid of hurting the diff you can take the diff support off and just use the cradle support portion of the kit.
    This is exactly how mine is run. When we first put it on I had the brace attached and the associated gear meshing sounds were enough for me to have near old-car-guy heart attacks. You could literally hear the gears meshing together with the clutch in on smooth roads and when accelerating there was a whine that duplicates a supercharger or gear drive (again with the old car references)

I will probably be modding mine out so the bar doesnt hang down too far in the front, but right now Im looking into Holden Commodore VE differentials. Interesting that the holden VE and the CTSV have the same badges....

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    enough for me to have near old-car-guy heart attacks.
    potd

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

potd
    Im not as willing to accept road noise in a luxury vehicle as others apparently.

I'll run it like this until it causes problems or someone releases a cost effective replacement. It does work and that is what matters. I have a VERY understanding dealership who will replace diffs and transmissions all day long so we'll see what happens...to be perfectly honest, I'm still a kid so the noise doesn't bother me that much.

ahahnu is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey

I've had my Original Kars kit, Doug put it on himself for 70,000 or so. At 50,000 right before my warranty ran out, I asked the dealer to replace the rear, which they did. So same rear, Kars kit the whole time, and were almost to 50,000 on it. Yes it whines, yes it's loud. It's actually louder when rolling versus accellerating. I wouldn't feel comfortable not using it. The times I had it off, you could feel a difference (maybe just mental) of the "grip" it would have on the road, versus feeling like a feather when it was off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.