2005 CTS V Katech 427 oil temp problems.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, 2005 CTS V Katech 427 oil temp problems. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I know there are a lot of posts on this car. It is Chef's/AMS performance Black V. It has a ...
    Black CTS-V304 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V

2005 CTS V Katech 427 oil temp problems.

I know there are a lot of posts on this car. It is Chef's/AMS performance Black V. It has a 427 Katech 7.0l I bought it 2 months ago off Martin in Chicago. The car is wicked fast. I love it. I drove the car 6 hours back to my hometown and all the temps were ok. Engine 197, oil 220, water 170's. Lately I have noticed that the oil temps are flaky in the car jumping 5-10 degrees and on a hot day in town the temps are hitting 280-290 which can't be accurate. I read on forums that it's possible the 04-05 V's have inaccurate oil temp readings which can be fixed at the dealer, but with AMS doing the tuning I can't have the dealer flash the computer? Is there any truth to these claims? I also noticed Mallet and Lingenfelter have optional oil filter/cooler kits with their 427's. I called Katech today and they said they don't have anything for me. I'm sure the old cooler and oil pump were used. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Travis

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Re: 2005 CTS V Katech 427 oil temp problems.

I would go over all the engine grounds, especially the ones on the back of the heads.

You might want to get new star washers.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Good ol Chef. I wonder how he's doin with the Bimmer.
    It shouldn't be to hard to bolt on an oil cooler. What diff is in that car? I can't remember.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

When you say "on a hot day in town" - do you have the A/C on? There's something with the A/C harness and the oil temp sending unit harness on the '04/05s that causes weird readings. Even after having the TSB done to "fix" the issue, if I'm driving along on turn on the A/C, the (indicated) oil temp immediately jumps ~18deg. If I turn the A/C off, it immediately drops back down.

When I first bought my car used, it would actually trigger the 300*F alarm just driving along normally if I turned on the A/C. I had the sending unit and harness replaced by the TSB and that improved things, but it still indicates the temp is hotter than I think it really is, and I still get the weird behavior with the A/C (althought that's only about 1/2 as bad as it used to be).

One of these days I'm going to rewire the oil temp sending unit to see if I can fix the issue, because it's clearly not right.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Wouldn't that TSB be addressing the car in a relatively stock form ? Chef's old car is anything but, and I'm not really sure that information would apply in your particular case.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Heavy's advice to check the grounds is a solid. Most oil temp sensor issues on these cars (when stock) are caused by a bad ground.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

When I talked with Martin the AC was never hooked up. AZPS didn't bother with it. Martin replaced the compressor and hooked it all up for me. Prior to that he put 1-2K on the motor and never had issues with the oil temps. I searched last night and found a lot of people with this issue. A couple people advised adding a grounding strap to the chassis from 2 separate areas dealing with sensor reading temps and solves problem completely. I checked over all grounds and everything was tight. I will try and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Wouldn't that TSB be addressing the car in a relatively stock form ? Chef's old car is anything but, and I'm not really sure that information would apply in your particular case.
    I wouldn't imagine installing a 427 would involve modifying the A/C harness or the oil temp sensor harness, which is (from what I understand) where the problem lies. I could be wrong, of course.

Whatever the case, I'm guessing this is an electrical issue and not an actual mechanical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by V-Love View Post
    Good ol Chef. I wonder how he's doin with the Bimmer.
    It shouldn't be to hard to bolt on an oil cooler. What diff is in that car? I can't remember.
    I was given a spare with it. I believe it was upgraded in 07' with the better diff, as the 04, 05 was

What is the new fix for the diff if the upgraded one breaks? I have a pretty famous rear end/tranny guy that lives within spitting distance. Wonder if he can build something up if it happens?

Being "tight" has nothing to do with a bad ground.

The aluminum sets up an oxide barrier that is high resistance.

I took a wire brush to the aluminum contact and replaced the starwashers (these are what "bite" into the aluminum).

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    Being "tight" has nothing to do with a bad ground.

The aluminum sets up an oxide barrier that is high resistance.

I took a wire brush to the aluminum contact and replaced the starwashers (these are what "bite" into the aluminum).
    I'm takin it to the shop now. I'll break out the Fluke and see if I can isolate a certain ground. If so I will let you all know. Thanks for advise.

I don't know which FLUKE your using, but unless your using a four wire method of measuring resistance you will never be able to check the connections resistance.

Instead, you might want to check for a very small voltage drop (millivolt(s))!) across the ground strap to the block joint.

A reading would indicate a bad ground (ignition needs to be on).

Good luck

Found a half shredded ground probably only 3 strands left, after cutting all the conduit around the wires to the temp sensor. Ran it around town and left in idle. Problem seems to be ok for now.

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by Black CTS-V304 View Post
    I searched last night and found a lot of people with this issue. A couple people advised adding a grounding strap to the chassis from 2 separate areas dealing with sensor reading temps and solves problem completely.
    I don't suppose you have that thread handy? As you said, there are lots of reports of the problem, so digging through the threads I find might take a while. Since you've already done the work...

Not sure if this is legit or not. This is the first forum I have joined, but,

I google searched and found this link: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/cadill...erheating.html

Half way down it has a guy that went to the service department, also gives a few other explanations. There is also a car and driver article and service bulletin on how it can be fixed under google search in the first couple pages. I can't have them flash my computer due to heavy mods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.