Time for a clutch...What path would you go?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Time for a clutch...What path would you go? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; My V is about to hit 50,000 miles. For the past 3000 or so, 1st has been difficult to get ...
    Doctornick is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Time for a clutch...What path would you go?

My V is about to hit 50,000 miles. For the past 3000 or so, 1st has been difficult to get into if I stop the car on a slope or if "I have a quick full stop, pull the car out of gear intending to be a long light but it wasn't and now it won't go back into first and a got a group of cars behind me honking" type situation.

My mechanic thinks its the hydraulics and I would assume that part is going to be covered under my GMPP but he did suggest looking into buying a clutch.

I put 15k miles on it every year and have a magnacharger kit sitting in a box in my storage. (saving for cams, headers and tune, still.) It would be nice if I don't have to swap out the clutch when the blower goes on, but I might not get to it this year. So its not that big a deal.

So whatcha think?

-Neal

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

manciniat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Re: Time for a clutch...What path would you go?

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

2nd vote for monster clutches

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I too say Monster. Sounds like you will be needing a level 3 if you do a nice cam with the headers and maggie. Have fun!

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I too say Monster. Sounds like you will be needing a level 3 if you do a nice cam with the headers and maggie. Have fun!

Before I even clicked it, I KNEW you'd comment on this thread, whisler

Whisler is the clutch guru. I'd probably say go with Monster as well though

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    Before I even clicked it, I KNEW you'd comment on this thread, whisler

Whisler is the clutch guru. I'd probably say go with Monster as well though
    You know it. I've done my research. Of course it's pretty easy when we only have two or three options for a clutch in our V (that fits).

Now trying to pick a cam is another story!

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Doctornick View Post
    My V is about to hit 50,000 miles. For the past 3000 or so, 1st has been difficult to get into if I stop the car on a slope or if "I have a quick full stop, pull the car out of gear intending to be a long light but it wasn't and now it won't go back into first and a got a group of cars behind me honking" type situation.

My mechanic thinks its the hydraulics and I would assume that part is going to be covered under my GMPP but he did suggest looking into buying a clutch.

I put 15k miles on it every year and have a magnacharger kit sitting in a box in my storage. (saving for cams, headers and tune, still.) It would be nice if I don't have to swap out the clutch when the blower goes on, but I might not get to it this year. So its not that big a deal.

So whatcha think?

-Neal
    I think your mechanic is probably right - your problem is more than likely your hydraulics, which consists of fluid within a master cylinder, hose line, slave cylinder. The inability to get the thing in gear is more often than not, a clutch disengagement issue.

Your mechanic is also right about it being time to consider a new clutch. But then again there is the warranty which does not cover the wearing parts (e.g. clutch disc) but may cover the hydraulics. Additionally, installing a new clutch will not necessarily cure the disengagement problem if is caused by unreplaced hydraulic components.

Of the list of hydraulic components only the slave cylinder requires you to drop the transmission and pull the bellhousing. So, if I were you I would: (1) try to get the disengagement problem sorted out under warranty before installing a new clutch; and (2) go ahead and select your next clutch setup so if step#1 leads to the slave cylinder and the need to drop the transmission/bellhousing you would be in a position to change out the clutch at the same time. (The idea being to negotiate a deal to get the wearing parts installed for the cost of "incremental labor" since the transmission/bellhousing are off the car for warrantied problems.)

As far as new clutches go, in addtion to the Monster Clutches proffered by others, there are also options from McLeod, Spec, Textralia, and Exedy to name a few.

stuckey is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V

another question for the clutch "guru"...whats the difference in the level 3 and level 3.5 aside from being $100 more

Hendrix-Engineering is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): escalade

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I think your mechanic is probably right - your problem is more than likely your hydraulics, which consists of fluid within a master cylinder, hose line, slave cylinder. The inability to get the thing in gear is more often than not, a clutch disengagement issue.

Your mechanic is also right about it being time to consider a new clutch. But then again there is the warranty which does not cover the wearing parts (e.g. clutch disc) but may cover the hydraulics. Additionally, installing a new clutch will not necessarily cure the disengagement problem if is caused by unreplaced hydraulic components.

Of the list of hydraulic components only the slave cylinder requires you to drop the transmission and pull the bellhousing. So, if I were you I would: (1) try to get the disengagement problem sorted out under warranty before installing a new clutch; and (2) go ahead and select your next clutch setup so if step#1 leads to the slave cylinder and the need to drop the transmission/bellhousing you would be in a position to change out the clutch at the same time. (The idea being to negotiate a deal to get the wearing parts installed for the cost of "incremental labor" since the transmission/bellhousing are off the car for warrantied problems.)

As far as new clutches go, in addtion to the Monster Clutches proffered by others, there are also options from McLeod, Spec, Textralia, and Exedy to name a few.
    I agree100%,you dont want the same issues with a new clutch.We also have a clutch that drives like stock and holds tons of power.Check out the H.E.X. clutch from Hendrix-Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by stuckey View Post
    another question for the clutch "guru"...whats the difference in the level 3 and level 3.5 aside from being $100 more
    The .5 levels of their clutches are made with daily driving in mind. They try to make a heavy duty clutch, easier for everyday driving. The .5 level has a hybrid organic layer on the flywheel side to assist in smother launches. You will still have a bit of chatter, but it wares off as you break in the clutch.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

to all the guys that recomended monster clutches?

Do you have them or do you just Think they are a good product ?

Im on the same boat, im shoipping for a clutch setup as we speak...

looking into the spec kit, the monster kit, or the LS7 kit, and im also trying to find out more on the hendrix kit, it sounds like a good setup..

The monster seems good but they have had some issues, and for some reason all the F-body guys has problems with the master cylinder after install the monster kit, but guys just modified the stock one and they are fine with it. ( I personly dont want to deal with that crap)

The spec kit from what ive read just dont last, but you can get a stage 2 with steel fly for 615$

and the Ls7 kit seems like a awsome deal, but only if your making stockish power.

Still learning more about the hendrix kit but i like everything ive heard about his company so far.

Quote Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct View Post
    to all the guys that recomended monster clutches?

Do you have them or do you just Think they are a good product ?
    I have it, and think it's a good product.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    I have it, and think it's a good product.

which stage and which fly ?

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Hendrix.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Umm, no offense, but you haven't even driven the H-E clutch so how can you recommend it? I'm sure it will work just fine but honestly how can you recommend something you have never used?

This isn't to bash anybody so dont take it that way. I just dont see the logic.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.