Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Anyone have a Procharged V?

2K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  kpc01 
#1 ·
Bored and thinking long-term. Anyone running or know anyone with a Procharger setup? I've always been a fan of the centrifugal setups over the eaton/screw-type blowers. Not necessarily looking for huge power just a fun, more reliable and different setup. (Thinking less low-end power to reduce possibly of messing up the rear-end). Thoughts? Info?

#4 ·
What's your setup? (i.e. stock motor? rear-end? psi? rwhp?) Have you driven a maggied V? How does it compare? A buddy of mine just sold his maggied V and I've driven that which was a blast but I think I'd like the power delivery of the Procharger. I'm not looking to make a high hp track car, just a fun daily ride. I also love the sounds of the centrifigual s/c's. Overall, whats your experience with the setup? (drivability, reliability etc.)

#6 ·
My car is heavily modified, built motor, 9 inch rear, custom fuel system, custom everything. Im running an F1 blower making well over 800rwhp. Im assuming you are looking into a D1sc blower on the stock motor. I have not driven a maggied V, but i have lots of experience with other roots style blowers such as cobras and I know what u mean by fun, the power is instantaneous and the torque is down low. As far as the sound, yes it is awsome, the big red race valve will put a smile on your face every time you drive the car. As far as reliability, the system has been very reliable, have not had any problems with it and i have beaten on the car pretty hard. the only thing that can be a problem is that the IC becomes heat soaked and the system becomes less efficient. Also you need a good source or cold air because once the blower starts to pull hot air from the engine bay it runs like a dog. This can be a problem because of the blower being so close to the strut tower, making it very hard to route a cold pipe without major fabrication. I think this is also in part because for some reason the V is a huge heat magnet. Those are just some of the things i would suggest to monitor when procharging a V.

BTW i dont know how much fabrication it would require to fit a D1 blower or if there is a kit available, but to fit the F1 required ALOT of cutting and rewelding. let me know if there is anything else i can help you with.

#9 ·
Did some more searching....anyone check out EPP (ExoticPerformancePlus)? Seem to have a P1 and D1SC.....

MO POWA, who did your setup? Sounds like a wild ride....Yeah, I'm looking at probably just doing a D1 blower on the stock motor or POSSIBLY forging the bottom-end.

I came from a modded C5 that I never got to fully complete they way I wanted because I put sooo many damn miles on it. I just got my '05 V with 11k on it so I should be good for a while (I hope). I'm a little disappointed in how little of tuners there are out for these things in terms of forced induction. The vette guys cant have all the fun, right!?:lildevil:

#10 ·
EPP did bob's V (rj5l -the guy skullv mentioned above). They are pretty well known and seem to be great to work with. Maybe bob will chime in with his experience.

#12 ·
EPP has it pretty well down pat on the procharger installation of the V.
But the last I heard from Bob he wasn't doing anymore kits sold. It was installed in there shop only due to some of the screw ups that tried the installs & he was having to take them in & fix the all the F**k ups the did.
Saw one he had in there that was flat ass butchered by someone trying to do the install & the owner got stuck with the bill to fix it, Although Bob did it for next to nothing because he felt bad since he had sold the kit, hence the reason for no longer having kits.
I personally think for what they charge installed verses what the kit did cost you would be crazy not to let them do it, Even if you have to ship it to them.

#13 ·
Having had a Procharged C5 Z06 with close to 600 rwhp, I can tell you that I would only go with a positive displacement blower on a V. At 4,000 pounds you need that low end grunt to get the car moving. A centri blower makes more power the faster you spin it -- not good on a heavy car like the V, imho. I wouldn't change my Maggie for a centri.

Christian

#14 · (Edited)
?? this is the typical Roots answer.. low end grunt?
400rwhp at 2000 rpm not enough?
and best of all.. when are you ever there in the RPM range for that LOW END GRUNT, except leaving the line for a mere second.. (less than)

How bout that heat soaking watercooler the maggies run? that -50rwhp loss after driving around a bit...

I completely disagree to your statement.
ROOTS are the LAZY way up... and no where as efficient and can not product HIGH rev HP like a procharger can. And holds low end torque..
change the ratio gears then...

#16 ·
I have a C6 with a ProCharger, no issues, I will not say it is a better choice than a Maggie for a V application, as not sure of your goals. My Maggie 112 has never gotten over 7.5psi, if you want more, go with the PC. If you have either a stock LS6 or stock LS2, you can run 12psi on PC with no issues provided you have a good tune and good fuel. I agree 100% with what Bob said, the 2,500rpms spent in first gear in a V with a PC is not significant, as you cannot launch a stock rear. With that said, my Maggie was purchased in late 2005, at a time when no one else was stepping up to give us a power adder, so I am grateful to Magnuson, and to me loyalty is very weighty.
Enjoy your V and treat her to some new HP.

#17 ·
Thanks for the info and input from everyone so far. I'm pretty sure the procharger setup would be the route I'd end up going with. Don't get me wrong, I love the instant power of the maggie's but I also love the progressive top-end, "turbo-like" power. Also, these V's seem to run pretty hot as it is and I really don't like the heat-soak traits of the maggie. Someone mentioned they're F1 would heat soak because of some clearance issues but I think with the D1 I'd have less issues with that. My overall goal is just to have a quick, fun, great sounding setup....not looking to set any dyno or 1/4 mile records. They more I hear about the PC setups, the more I'm wanting one...sounds like the route to go for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.