Mallett Supercharger or Heads & Cam???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Mallett Supercharger or Heads & Cam??? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Dear Members, I just purchased a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V. I would like to have my car modified. My question is ...
    Adamo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts-v

Mallett Supercharger or Heads & Cam???

Dear Members,
    I just purchased a 2006 Cadillac CTS-V. I would like to have my car modified. My question is what are the differences/pros/cons and horsepower ratings between the:

5.0 mallett supercharger 2006 conversion package and the 1.0 mallett head and cam conversion package for my LS2 engine? The head and cam conversion package is 16K and the supercharger which is a magnuson supercharger for 13K. What I do not understand is the supercharger package is supposed to be rated at 550horsepower and the head and cam 510 horsepower. Should the prices not be the other way around? Any feedback

Thanks
    Adamo

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tommy compton is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS-V

Re: Mallett Supercharger or Heads & Cam???

Not sure but don't they also include install with their packages? Maybe it's the labour involved, either way sounds very steep.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

13 g's for a maggie!!! Ouch!
    I wont knock mallett cause they make some nice vehicle packages but i wonder how much of that 13k is for the name. I am out less than 4k for my maggie

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Meh on heat soak...

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Do heads and cam!

MIKEC is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

i'm with dubb on that one i think most of that 13k is for the name they can have it.if you decide to go supercharger get it from a vendor on this site or from magnusen directly.a maggie,long tube headers cat back exhuast and good tune you will be more than happy and for a lot less money.just be prepared to answer that famous question for the next couple of years"damn is that a cadillac sounding like that". oh yeah and the girls love some v's

Re: Mallett Supercharger or Heads & Cam??? Check packages

The Mallett packages, include labor, their shifter, wheel hop kit, lowered suspension, catback corsa exhaust, and a whole other bunch of goodies. The supercharger package sounds interesting, but heat soak does not. The heads and cam package is good, but not as much power as the supercharger package.
    their head and cam package are:

6.0L LS2 V8 tuned to 500HP
    Custom ported heads, flow & CC matched
    Custom cam, valve springs, and pushrods
    Mallett / Corsa stainless mufflers - Click HERE to hear it on Corsa's website.
    Custom calibration & dyno tuning
    Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system
    World famous Mallett billet shifter
    Aggressive vehicle stance: Lowered / raked 3/4" with performance all-wheel alignment
    Exclusive Mallett body graphics
    Mallett graphics embroidered on seat headrests
    Mallett serial number plaque
    2-year, 24,000 mile warranty (see Warranty for complete details)
    Starting at $16,500.00
    Their supercharger package is the intercooled magnuson one with:
    Mallett / Corsa stainless mufflers - Click HERE to hear it on Corsa's website.
    Custom calibration & dyno tuning
    Mallett rear wheel-hop stabilizer system
    Exclusive Mallett body graphics
    Mallett graphics embroidered on seat headrests
    Mallett serial number plaque
    2-year, 24,000 mile warranty (see Warranty for complete details)
    Starting at $13,995.00

Which one???

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

When figuring how much I've got in my car without labor, those packages aren't too outrageous, IMHO. The warranty and the Mallet name have worth, too. By way of comparison, a "rand49er" car has absolutely no value.

As for NA vs FI, drive both. I'd bet money on which one you'd choose.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

Dear rand49er, when you say you would bet money on which one I choose you think it would be the supercharger package or the heads and cam package? I would be hard to try both packages, I doubt they have these packages on cars to test. Also when you say NA vs FI what do you mean by this? I am new to this board so forgive me if I do not understand some of these terms. thanks
    Adamo

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Those numbers sound like crank HP. At the wheels its about 17% less.
    Maggie installed and tuned is $7000 MAX. Ground control (to lower your car) is $500 plus labor. Wheel-hop fix is $1900 plus labor. You can choose the exhaust you like.

Heand-cam, depending how crazy you wanna go, a speed shop can get you more power for $10K.

Tony

CancerJCC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04' Blown CTS-V 554rwhp 497rwtq

Quote Originally Posted by adamo View Post
    dear rand49er, when you say you would bet money on which one i choose you think it would be the supercharger package or the heads and cam package? I would be hard to try both packages, i doubt they have these packages on cars to test. Also when you say naturally aspired vs forced induction what do you mean by this? I am new to this board so forgive me if i do not understand some of these terms. Thanks
    adamo

PISNUOFF Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Adamo View Post
    Dear rand49er, when you say you would bet money on which one I choose you think it would be the supercharger package or the heads and cam package? I would be hard to try both packages, I doubt they have these packages on cars to test. Also when you say NA vs FI what do you mean by this? I am new to this board so forgive me if I do not understand some of these terms. thanks
    Adamo
    Randy, as most people with superchargers, is saying that after you drive both you will like the supercharged one better. I've driven both and I do like the lower end torque from a supercharger, but I went the heads and cam route. I have similar horsepower numbers and similar peak torque numbers. No one can tell you which one you should get, you have to drive both to figure which one you like better.

If I were planning on spending as much as the Mallet packages cost, I'd do the whole motor and have heads, cam, supercharger, forged bottom end and do the work myself. That way I'd be sitting around 650-700 at the crank.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by PISNUOFF View Post
    Randy, as most people with superchargers, is saying that after you drive both you will like the supercharged one better. I've driven both and I do like the lower end torque from a supercharger, but I went the heads and cam route. I have similar horsepower numbers and similar peak torque numbers. No one can tell you which one you should get, you have to drive both to figure which one you like better.

If I were planning on spending as much as the Mallet packages cost, I'd do the whole motor and have heads, cam, supercharger, forged bottom end and do the work myself. That way I'd be sitting around 650-700 at the crank.
    And when you did have heat soak, you'd still be in the 550-600 range, so who cares?

But honestly, if you want to have a badass ride and just tool around like Randy(since his wife only let's him do 1 track day every 3 years...at least that's what he claims. He's probably just escared...), a supercharger is the way to go. Better usable power. But if you like to track it a lot or tool around in hot weather, heads/cam packages may be the way to go.

All NA(naturally aspirated) for me instead of FI(forced induction)...

c4ss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, Black

A nice cam as well as a maggie gives the best of both worlds

crankedupforit is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    And when you did have heat soak, you'd still be in the 550-600 range, so who cares?

But honestly, if you want to have a badass ride and just tool around like Randy(since his wife only let's him do 1 track day every 3 years...at least that's what he claims. He's probably just escared...), a supercharger is the way to go. Better usable power. But if you like to track it a lot or tool around in hot weather, heads/cam packages may be the way to go.

All NA(naturally aspirated) for me instead of FI(forced induction)...
    Jim
    Just wondering about your point on tracking the car you may want a head and cam package. There seems to be quite a few FI good track cars like Porsches, Audis, Lotus etc. Ofcourse they don't have the cubes we do and BMW has yet to build a serious FI car. I guess for guys lwith Vs, a head and cam car would be great as long as driveability is still there. That could explain why the Maggie is so popular. It's pretty much a turn key project from what I understand.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.