LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've searched three times now, figuring that there would be a plethora of threads on the subject. My searches found ...
    Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search.

I've searched three times now, figuring that there would be a plethora of threads on the subject. My searches found none. How do the two engine shake down, in this chassis?

I ask b/c in the 'Vette world (where I am coming from) there was a huge debate about which engine was stronger. The C5 Z06 has ultimately run faster at the strip than the fastest LS2 C6, but some contend that the differnce is in the chassis (less rear overhang in the C6), Torque Management, wheel size, and the C6's propensity to wheel hop.

I figure, that this board must have some closure to that debate. Does it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Re: LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search.

"Closure"? - No. "Plethora of threads" - Yes. Both motors are robust, but our search engine is not. It does not look for 3 letter words. Try a search on truck motor.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...s2-vs-ls6.html

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

lol yes the LS2 is a truck motor but honestly is a better choice IF you want to go power crazy. If you want stock and a ton of fun, either will do. Now before my fellow 2004-2005 guys jump down my throat: our bore is the wrong size.

LS1/LS6 have the 3.90 bore and the LS2/LS7 have the 4.0 bore (i think LS3/L92 is 4.25 but no quoting on that) The LS2 has the ability to have every part and piece of the other LS engines bolted directly to it without adapters. Effectively;

Take an LQ9 truck engine (ls2 iron block) toss on a set of L92 heads with a fast LSX intake, a mild cam and a set of headers. You just hit 550 crank. LQ9 blocks and a set of those heads can be had for 2200-2500 bucks total! Add a blower and a stroker crank and youre approaching 800.

On the other hand you could mod out the LS6 like the rest of us: ported heads from lingenfelter at 2k, cam and springs will be another 800 and then youll be around 550 there as well.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

LS2s have a slightly fatter torque curve down low, while LS6s are stronger up top. There is no difference in the body, gearing, wheels or torque management in the CTS-V between 2004 and 2007. LS6s are rarer (only ever used in the V and C5 Z06), while the LS2 is more common and used in many GM vehicles. Both are awesome engines, and both inspire tons of fanboy douchebaggery from their respective owners.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

But deep down everybody knows the LS6 is the only way to go!

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

See?
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I love the LS6 for the exclusivity, but I don't think of the '04/'05 and the '06/'07 being different at all...

AAIIIC is offline Moderator

Somewhere there is a thread that had a dyno graph comparing two on the same dyno. I don't remember what thread it was in, or if the cars were dyno'd the same day or not, but the extra displacement of the LS2 definitely gave it an advantage in the torque department.

With that said, I test drove two '06/07s before buying an '05. I can't say I noticed any difference in performance.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

kirchbed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

All your base are belong to my LS6. FTW.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by kirchbed View Post
    All your base are belong to my LS6. FTW.
    Too much time in the spam thread...

manciniat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    But deep down everybody knows the LS6 is the only way to go!

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the good replies. I should have been more clear. I know all of the technical differences both for the car and the engine itself; I've had a C6/LS2 for the last 3-1/2 years.

What I was wondering, is which engine, in this virtually same chassis, has produced the best ET and TRAP results, bone stock?

Once you change blocks, heads, cams, add blowers, etc....it's not really an "LS6" or an "LS2" anymore. I'm talking stock for stock, same platform. See? In the 'Vettes, the LS6/LS2 debate was always plagued by the fact that the two motors were never in the same chassis.

04vman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It's just known that the LS6 is THE motor in this chasis. The LS6 is the motor that put the V marque and the Z06 where they are today.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
    Thanks for the good replies. I should have been more clear. I know all of the technical differences both for the car and the engine itself; I've had a C6/LS2 for the last 3-1/2 years.

What I was wondering, is which engine, in this virtually same chassis, has produced the best ET and TRAP results, bone stock?

Once you change blocks, heads, cams, add blowers, etc....it's not really an "LS6" or an "LS2" anymore. I'm talking stock for stock, same platform. See? In the 'Vettes, the LS6/LS2 debate was always plagued by the fact that the two motors were never in the same chassis.
    We have the opposite problem - both motors come in the same chassis: And that chassis comes with an independent rear suspension setup that, when bone stock, does not lend itself to hard launches. Thus, this forum has not seen any substantial accumulation of ET and Trap result data.

The only real difference would be in the first gear, since after that shifts at the 6,500 rpm redline drops you into the next gear at 4,500 rpm. Thus, torque differences below 4,500 rpm are rendered moot by the close-ratio gearbox, which is common to both motors.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

i love the hard pull to redline that the LS6 gives you.

but admittedly, the LS2 is probably the better engine. particularly in everyday driving. where (whether we want to admit it or not) is where the CTS-V spends most of its time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.