LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by Jahan I don't really need to prove anything to anyone. I've driven several of each over the ...
    jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Re: LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahan View Post
    I don't really need to prove anything to anyone. I've driven several of each over the past 4 months, as well as many other LS2/3/6 cars. I can feel a difference. Is it night and day? No, but to me the LS2 is more enjoyable in the CTS-V. The difference between the engines are well documented, it shouldn't be a surprise that the performance isn't exactly the same.

Your 30 year argument MIGHT hold water; I'm not familiar enough with collector cars. But the engines are similar enough that I don't think it will make a huge difference. I'd guess that LS2 CTS-V's are rarer, and since they have a bit more torque and are the later model with improved rear end, the LS2 might actually get the nod. Who knows though . . . I know I don't plan on owning a CTS-V 30 years down the road.
    Well it is all settled now... Thanks! All it took was a non-V owner to test drive SEVERAL of each motor variant, and FEEL that difference. LOL

Also, you are dead on with your GUESS also.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

I was not expecting to feel a difference between the LS2 and LS6 CTS-V's, but I could. The LS2 is noticeably torquier in the low-mid range, and I've decided that when I buy a V (sometime in the next 6 months) it will be an LS2. The torque curve just fits the V better, and I don't think the extra high end of the LS2 makes up for it in this car.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoole View Post
    Well it is all settled now... Thanks! All it took was a non-V owner to test drive SEVERAL of each motor variant, and FEEL that difference. LOL

Jahan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Lol. This is ridiculous. I never said that my comments would "settle" the debate, although I don't see what's so hard to understand about those dyno curves.

My work fleet includes an 06 CTS-V and Z06. As part of my JOB, I've driven both on the street and track. I recently sold my 2008 Corvette, and I've put many miles on several other CTS-V's and Corvettes, as well as a couple different GTO's and TBSS.

No, I don't own and CTS-V, but that just means I don't have a built-in bias intent on defending my own purchase. Unlike someone who owns one or the other, I've spent about equal time in both. That means I'm not more "used to" one or the other, which can again cloud judgment. Each car I've driven has been bone stock and well maintained.

It's no surprise that all the LS6 owners are so quick to discredit my opinions, but I don't see anyone coming on here with any better advice or unbiased opinions for the OP.

I will acknowledge that the LS6 has lower compression, which will tolerate boost a bit better. That might be a consideration for some people. There is a chance I'll supercharge mine at some point, but I'm still going with the LS2.

VfReaK is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

"I will acknowledge that the LS6 has lower compression, which will tolerate boost a bit better. That might be a consideration for some people. There is a chance I'll supercharge mine at some point, but I'm still going with the LS2."

there are many ls2's that support and perform much better than
    the ls6 is this department as well. 7psi vs 7psi in either of these stock motors,
    and the outcome will be just as one sided as this ridiculous debate,... the bigger motor with bigger lungs will generate more horse power every single time. the ls2's higher compression ratio at these boost levels will also make more power FYI.
    the ls6 is out dated, it's like arguing the the ls1's superiority over the lt1.
    when it made it's debut, now no one even give either an honorable mention. no one and i mean no one uses a ls6 for high horse power application.
    they ALL use forged :cough: ls2's

ls2 ftw... AGAIN!

She-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS-V Black Raven

Rock on!

So we've come to the concluson that Black Raven V's sporting LS2's RULE!

I'm in!

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Quote Originally Posted by VfReaK View Post
    ls2 ftw... AGAIN!
    I like the LQ9 better. Iron block LS2s hold more power.

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

the ls6 is out dated, it's like arguing the the ls1's superiority over the lt1
    You do realize that the LS2 is basically the same engine with a bigger bore? If you want to talk about being out dated, both engine are out dated. Both run the exact same outdated cathedral port head, both engines have the same stroke, one just has a bigger bore. There is nothing new or exciting about either engine. All of the LS motors today stem from the LS1/6 as they carry the same architecture with the only differance being stroke or bore and now with the LS3 and new engines, the square port head.

Now obviously the LS2 will a have slight lower end advantage becasue of this bigger bore, but being that GM decide not to install a hotter cam and light weight valves in the LS2, the engines perform almost the same. If GM would have done to the LS2 what they did to the the LS6, then maybe you would have an argument. But they didn't and they let an enigne with smaller displacement have the same amount of hp with only 5 less foot pounds of torque. I dont think thats to bad myself.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

"I will acknowledge that the LS6 has lower compression, which will tolerate boost a bit better. That might be a consideration for some people. There is a chance I'll supercharge mine at some point, but I'm still going with the LS2."

there are many ls2's that support and perform much better than
    the ls6 is this department as well. 7psi vs 7psi in either of these stock motors,
    and the outcome will be just as one sided as this ridiculous debate,... the bigger motor with bigger lungs will generate more horse power every single time. the ls2's higher compression ratio at these boost levels will also make more power FYI.
    the ls6 is out dated, it's like arguing the the ls1's superiority over the lt1.
    when it made it's debut, now no one even give either an honorable mention. no one and i mean no one uses a ls6 for high horse power application.
    they ALL use forged :cough: ls2's

ls2 ftw... AGAIN!
    Finished ricing out your V yet? Mike Rice...

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

This thread is dancing on the edge of being closed, people. Why can we not talk LS6 vs LS2 without everyone getting all pissy and nasty with each other? Seriously.....
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    This thread is dancing on the edge of being closed, people. Why can we not talk LS6 vs LS2 without everyone getting all pissy and nasty with each other? Seriously.....
    Because the mod's haven't banned MikeNice AGAIN yet....

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

I changed my mind since yesterday:

LS3>LS2/LS6, of course we all want the yet-to-be-announced LS5

Quote Originally Posted by SkullV View Post
    Because the mod's haven't banned MikeNice AGAIN yet....
    Is he on here, if so, we are now on par with LS1Tech regarding turbo experts,,,

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Damn, I am on a roll, posted new thread yesterday for first time in three years and it gets closed like in an hour. Jump into this thread for first time yesterday and it, too, is heading that route. I should play the Reverse Lottery Game.

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

It's no surprise that all the LS6 owners are so quick to discredit my opinions...
    Hey now, let's not go lumping everyone together. I'm an LS6 owner, and specifically said the bigger displacement gives the LS2 the better low end and mid range torque.

http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/gene...-ls6-dyno.html

Here's a link discussing the dyno chart that GM provided when the C6 was introduced. According to this chart, the peak power/torque numbers don't even begin to tell the story.
    There's nothing to argue in that graph, but it does strike me as the classic case of what one of my MechE profs told us many moons ago - "Figures don't lie, but liars figure." Chevy (or whoever generated that graph) scaled the torque axis in a way to exaggerate the torque advantage of the LS2 over the LS6. Note that the HP axis scaled starting at 0, as a graph is supposed to be scaled. The torque axis starts at 250, which serves to drive home the point of their advertisement that much more effectively. If they had scaled the torque axis from 0-450, as a graph should be scale, it wouldn't look nearly as impressive. A very common tactic in advertising. But I digress ...

I'd love to be able to do a same day dyno comparison, but the only other V I ever see around here is my twin (same year, same color) that's a few doors down from me.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

your questions would be better answered on ls1tech.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.