LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search. - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I've test driven several of each this summer, and I've also driven several LS2, LS6, and LS3 Corvettes (my own ...
    Jahan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: LS6 vs. LS2...Yes, I did a search.

I've test driven several of each this summer, and I've also driven several LS2, LS6, and LS3 Corvettes (my own Corvette is an 08 LS3).

I was not expecting to feel a difference between the LS2 and LS6 CTS-V's, but I could. The LS2 is noticeably torquier in the low-mid range, and I've decided that when I buy a V (sometime in the next 6 months) it will be an LS2. The torque curve just fits the V better, and I don't think the extra high end of the LS2 makes up for it in this car.

As far as Corvettes go, I prefer the LS6, mainly because it's in a lighter car that's not handicapped as badly by torque management etc etc. 2005-2007 Corvette's always seem slow to me. C5Z's are quick, but I'm always suprised by the lack of low end torque compared to my LS3.

Summary (IMHO) . . .

In a CTS-V:
    LS2>LS6

In a Corvette:
    LS3>>LS6>LS2

And WGAF about the exclusivity of the ENGINE in your car if the performance isn't as good?

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

^^^ Pish posh! Thats all rubbish dont believe a word he says! lol JK I'm biased if you cant tell

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    This suggests that our drive line loss percentage, which we've always considered to be awful. is even worse than we thought.
    A loss of an additional 5 horses is nothing. Think back to the days of TH400s and driveshafts that a grown man could workout with....

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Since my 4,000 lb. LS6 V makes twice as much torque at 2,000 as my 5,500 lb. Suburban I never thought it was torque deficient.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Jahan View Post
    I've test driven several of each this summer, and I've also driven several LS2, LS6, and LS3 Corvettes (my own Corvette is an 08 LS3).

I was not expecting to feel a difference between the LS2 and LS6 CTS-V's, but I could. The LS2 is noticeably torquier in the low-mid range, and I've decided that when I buy a V (sometime in the next 6 months) it will be an LS2. The torque curve just fits the V better, and I don't think the extra high end of the LS2 makes up for it in this car.

As far as Corvettes go, I prefer the LS6, mainly because it's in a lighter car that's not handicapped as badly by torque management etc etc. 2005-2007 Corvette's always seem slow to me. C5Z's are quick, but I'm always suprised by the lack of low end torque compared to my LS3.

Summary (IMHO) . . .

In a CTS-V:
    LS2>LS6

In a Corvette:
    LS3>>LS6>LS2

And WGAF about the exclusivity of the ENGINE in your car if the performance isn't as good?
    30 years from now, it certainly will make a difference. As for you feeling the difference, have fun quantifying that for us...

Quote Originally Posted by VfReaK View Post
    one can not dispute bigger is ALWAYS better.

Bigger gun, Bigger dong, Bigger house, Bigger wallet, Bigger t*ts,
    now that that's cleared up,... it's clear you need a... BIGGER MOTOR!

go BIG, or go home.
    That's nice. Too bad OL get burned by the WR in a footrace. Wanna tow boats, go big. Wanna go fast, go fast...

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Quote Originally Posted by VfReaK View Post
    one can not dispute bigger is ALWAYS better.

Bigger gun, Bigger dong, Bigger house, Bigger wallet, Bigger t*ts, Big mouth, Big ass hole in your trunk,
    now that that's cleared up,... it's clear you need a... BIGGER MOTOR!

go BIG, or go home.
    Edited for correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    30 years from now, it certainly will make a difference. As for you feeling the difference, have fun quantifying that for us...
    I don't really need to prove anything to anyone. I've driven several of each over the past 4 months, as well as many other LS2/3/6 cars. I can feel a difference. Is it night and day? No, but to me the LS2 is more enjoyable in the CTS-V. The difference between the engines are well documented, it shouldn't be a surprise that the performance isn't exactly the same.

Your 30 year argument MIGHT hold water; I'm not familiar enough with collector cars. But the engines are similar enough that I don't think it will make a huge difference. I'd guess that LS2 CTS-V's are rarer, and since they have a bit more torque and are the later model with improved rear end, the LS2 might actually get the nod. Who knows though . . . I know I don't plan on owning a CTS-V 30 years down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Jahan View Post
    I don't really need to prove anything to anyone. I've driven several of each over the past 4 months, as well as many other LS2/3/6 cars. I can feel a difference. Is it night and day? No, but to me the LS2 is more enjoyable in the CTS-V. The difference between the engines are well documented, it shouldn't be a surprise that the performance isn't exactly the same.

Your 30 year argument MIGHT hold water; I'm not familiar enough with collector cars. But the engines are similar enough that I don't think it will make a huge difference. I'd guess that LS2 CTS-V's are rarer, and since they have a bit more torque and are the later model with improved rear end, the LS2 might actually get the nod. Who knows though . . . I know I don't plan on owning a CTS-V 30 years down the road.
    Quitter!

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Quitter!
    Lol . . .

http://www.euroteknik.com/forum/gene...-ls6-dyno.html

Here's a link discussing the dyno chart that GM provided when the C6 was introduced. According to this chart, the peak power/torque numbers don't even begin to tell the story.

Given equal cars, I'd take the LS2 any day. Interestingly, the CTS-V is the only car that has had both engines available, and with its weak drivetrain, drag time comparisons haven't been easy or reliable.

The LS6 is still a great car, and the price is definately right for them right now, but I'm sticking to my LS2 guns.

Tom400CFI is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Huh. The LS2 in my C6, though the fastest (12.89@111) and highest dyno'ing (360hp) in Utah...SOTP/felt like a turd. My '92 LT1 "feels" faster, and the LS6 in our V "feels" more lively (considering the cars extra weight).

Plenty of interesting reading here for sure. The perspective on the whole issue is way differnt on this forum, than the 'Vette forum. It's ironic that I thought that this platform would "solve it" but instead confuses it by making driving/launching harder and more inconsistent....from what some have posted. Make sense. I'm surprised that no one has eliminated wheel hop and run "bottom" numbers that are meaningful in each configuration. Probably not the numbers (of racers) here b/c there were less V's made each year than 'Vettes, to produce the data.

-Tom

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
    Huh. The LS2 in my C6, though the fastest (12.89@111) and highest dyno'ing (360hp) in Utah...SOTP/felt like a turd. My '92 LT1 "feels" faster, and the LS6 in our V "feels" more lively (considering the cars extra weight).

Plenty of interesting reading here for sure. The perspective on the whole issue is way differnt on this forum, than the 'Vette forum. It's ironic that I thought that this platform would "solve it" but instead confuses it by making driving/launching harder and more inconsistent....from what some have posted. Make sense. I'm surprised that no one has eliminated wheel hop and run "bottom" numbers that are meaningful in each configuration. Probably not the numbers (of racers) here b/c there were less V's made each year than 'Vettes, to produce the data.

-Tom
    I think you have summarzied the ambiguity nicely. Now ask the group which is the fastest color.

xcaliber50 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX Luxury (2007 CTS-V gone, never forgotten)

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    I think you have summarzied the ambiguity nicely. Now ask the group which is the fastest color.
    Now your just being silly. Of course silver is fastest.

onebadcad is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '09 V BR 4dr 6spd,'05 C6R 1400+HP, '05 V BEST EVA!!

Ignore all those silly replies, all are homers at beast, most comments are weaker than Circus Lemonage and belong on LS1Tech. Both motors suck, get a Stroker, then get Blown. The LS2 is a truck motor, but GM covertly made a very special edition LS2, only available with the MSM (that's Machine Silver Metallic for the novices in the group), and only for the 2005 model year select buyers, early production units at that. This SPECIAL EDITION LS2 is rumored to put out approximately an estimated, yet never confirmed, additional 50%-150% more HP and TQ, while averaging a combined fuel efficiency rating of at least 200% better than most owners of the same make and model.

,,, and regarding the color, re-read above information, and know that Silver superiority only applies to a vintage, early model 2005 C6, while all V1s in Black Raven Orange Peel reign over the other putrid members of the palette. Regarding the V2s, I am thinking that Thunder Gray has potential.

Yes, I am the dood!!!

But seriously, both are great motors, no significant difference, some like the additional cubes, some like the exclusivity, some ignore the lower compression of the LS6 and its higher potential for boost,,, this argument could go on and on and on,,,

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.