Braille Battery Install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Braille Battery Install in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Just installed the 3121 Braille battery. See what you think. Saved 14.1 lbs. This is my first post. Recently got ...
    VfastCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Braille Battery Install

Just installed the 3121 Braille battery. See what you think. Saved 14.1 lbs.

This is my first post. Recently got an '05 CTS-V with 80k on the clock. Love it!

I really need an adapter to clean up the cable attach, rather than the screwey way I've done it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Re: Braille Battery Install

wow, looks great!

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Quote Originally Posted by VfastCaddy View Post
    Just installed the 3121 Braille battery. See what you think. Saved 14.1 lbs.
    Holy hell!!! Somebody go get Naf!

CTSV_510 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by ctsv154 View Post
    Holy hell!!! Somebody go get Naf!
    You mean he didn't need to shave down the weld spots on the frame after all?

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Nice

Battery connections do look a bit funky, but solid.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too). 2004 DTS.

Supporting member......Nice!!!
    Welcome to the club. Very fun car to drive.
    14 lbs is 14 lbs. Good find. Those connectors are made for jumper cables.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just an FYI, Braille batteries are nothing more than repackaged Deka batteries (if I recall correctly, I think they're also sold as Big Crank batteries), which you can, more often than not, get at less than half the cost. Similar to the Dyna-Batts simply being repackaged Odyssey/Hawker batteries.

The whole thing is a fcuken ruse. Used to be that track rats would toss in motorcycle batteries at no more than $60 a pop (others used lawn mower batteries) and then some marketing jack-asses thought, "Hey, why don't we just repackage these, market them for cars with a performance angle, and charge a double-plus premium! [Hopefully], they'll be none the wiser." Yeah, that's the ticket. Fvck-twats...

I mean, a lightweight battery is a sure way to shed a good amount of weight relatively inexpensively, however, that kinda shits just annoying...

VfastCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think atdeneve is correct: the Braille "no weights" appear to be the same as the Deka Sports Power Line of AGM batteries. Braille is very cagey about not revealing the actual site of manufacture. I looked at the battery, the packing materials, searched on-line... no luck. But this is very common in American industry, i.e. you spec out a product to the guy who knows how to make it and slap your label on it. And the guy you source it from can't say a word by contract.

The question is: is the spec the same? A few years ago when plasma TV's were hot, there were a hundred brands, all made in one of 3 factories in the world. They were not all the same, not even close. A big producer like Deka, with the worlds largest battery manufacturing facility, might typically provide a range of specifications to anyone who can move product under another name. You want it made a little better? No problem. You want a little cheaper? No problem. You want a carbon fiber case? Well, we'll see what we can do!

You can basically line up each of Braille's lightweight batteries with one of Deka's own models, spec for spec (weight, CCA, PCA, Ah, size/dimensions, etc.). Aside from the exterior stickers/branding, they are literally the same thing.

And Braille's carbon fiber line is just skinned with a superficial layer of carbon fiber. It's not like they made the actual case out of carbon fiber to shed more weight. They weigh the same as their No-Weight Battery counterparts.

darkman is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    You can basically line up each of Braille's lightweight batteries with one of Deka's own models, spec for spec (weight, CCA, PCA, Ah, size/dimensions, etc.). Aside from the exterior stickers/branding, they are literally the same thing.

And Braille's carbon fiber line is just skinned with a superficial layer of carbon fiber. It's not like they made the actual case out of carbon fiber to shed more weight. They weigh the same as their No-Weight Battery counterparts.
    Well setting aside the corporate/branding shell game, which viewed alone is interesting but irrelevant, do the darn things work?

SoJersey05V is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by VfastCaddy View Post
    I think atdeneve is correct: the Braille "no weights" appear to be the same as the Deka Sports Power Line of AGM batteries. Braille is very cagey about not revealing the actual site of manufacture. I looked at the battery, the packing materials, searched on-line... no luck. But this is very common in American industry, i.e. you spec out a product to the guy who knows how to make it and slap your label on it. And the guy you source it from can't say a word by contract.

The question is: is the spec the same? A few years ago when plasma TV's were hot, there were a hundred brands, all made in one of 3 factories in the world. They were not all the same, not even close. A big producer like Deka, with the worlds largest battery manufacturing facility, might typically provide a range of specifications to anyone who can move product under another name. You want it made a little better? No problem. You want a little cheaper? No problem. You want a carbon fiber case? Well, we'll see what we can do!
    seen alot of that going on in this forum...

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    seen alot of that going on in this forum...
    You're starting to become a serious troll around here....

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Well setting aside the corporate/branding shell game, which viewed alone is interesting but irrelevant, do the darn things work?
    I could care less who makes it or rebrands it as long as it works and the vendor will stand behind it.

Amazing, some posters will pick on anything, like the stock battery is such great OE.

Appreciate the fact that someone found a replacement that works.

vegasVowner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V

Are these batteries, or their cheaper counterparts, a sacrifice at all in performance to our regular battery? Would they hold up to AC full blast, stereo blaring, headlights, Vegas heat all at once? It'd be cool if they did.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Irrelevant? I don't see how it's not relevant.

If someone is interested in installing a Braille lightweight battery, I'd think he or she would, more than likely, be interested in knowing that they can get that same battery from Deka for significantly less.

But, hey, feel free to disregard the 'irrelevant' info and shell out more than double the money on a repackaged, but otherwise identical, $140-250 battery.

Do they work? Well, they are lighter. And they will start the car. So, I guess they do. But there are compromises. And the lighter you go, the more careful you have to be to not kill the battery. Especially at 15 lbs and under. If you don't drive it every day, you have to keep it on a trickle charger. Or the battery will die. You can't sit in the car, with the ignition on accessory, and listen to music. Or you will kill the battery. If you have a tune that allows the fans to remain on after shutting the engine off, you will kill the battery.

With that said, I don't think most people will have too much of a problem with the 21 pounders in daily use.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.