Which supercharger would you recommend?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Which supercharger would you recommend? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Looking for recommendations as to which supercharger and/or shop I should go with. I'm in NJ and would prefer to ...
    CTSV_Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Which supercharger would you recommend?

Looking for recommendations as to which supercharger and/or shop I should go with. I'm in NJ and would prefer to stay with a shop that is reasonable transport or driving distance. Note: This is my daily driver and I'd like maintain a reasonably well behaved vehicle with decent gas mileage unless I have my foot into it.

So far I'm aware of the Magnuson kit that is coming out but not available yet (or at least I can't find it), the Lund Cadillac Vortec option $7995 box / $9995 installed and the MorePerformanceInc.(MPI) unit that is $7700 installed.

Lund claims 150+ HP... Not sure if I believe that... Must be at the fly wheel. MPI claims 450-460 RWHP with 6lbs of boost and stock engine. That's a significant increase over the stock lower three hundred RWHP. I'm leaning toward MPI.

Any other suggestions for super chargers? I'd like to make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

The short-term plan for upgrading my V is a combination of:
    - Super charger (unit TBD $5K-8K budget)
    - BMR rear wheel hop kit (all three pieces ordered via this group)
    - Corsa exhaust ($1k)
    - Mallet shifter ($350)
    - Lund rear spoiler ($395/Light Platinum - ordered today)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Which supercharger would you recommend?

Heck, I wasn't aware that Lund's kit was available yet, much less pricing.

Where'd you get the information (not that I'm doubting you) because I'm interested. I'm assuming you mail them the ECU while you install the kit? Intercooled or not?

More details please!

Here's a excerpt from the email I recieved from Lund today. I also talked to them about some of the other options. They were concerned about the limited market for some of their products (not many Vs out there).

Email from: Larry Appleby <larrya@lundcadillac.com>
    "THE SUPERCHARGER FOR THE V WILL BE AVAILABLE IN APROX 45 DAYS WE ARE WAITING FOR CUSTOM BRACKETS TO BE COMPLETED. THE COST IS 9,995..00 INSTALLED 7,995.00 BOX SELL.

THE COST ON THE CORSA DUAL EXAUST INSTALLED IS 1,495.00 (4 WEEKS OUT) SPOILER IS 845.00 PAINTED AND INSTALLED (INSTOCK) WE ALSO HAVE A REAR WHEEL HOP COIL OVER SHOCK KIT INSTALLED FOR 1395.00 (IN STOCK)"

LARRY

Sorry I don't have more details now. I'm just starting the search / research.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Scott
    Here's a excerpt from the email I recieved from Lund today. I also talked to them about some of the other options. They were concerned about the limited market for some of their products (not many Vs out there).

Email from: Larry Appleby <larrya@lundcadillac.com>
    "THE SUPERCHARGER FOR THE V WILL BE AVAILABLE IN APROX 45 DAYS WE ARE WAITING FOR CUSTOM BRACKETS TO BE COMPLETED. THE COST IS 9,995..00 INSTALLED 7,995.00 BOX SELL.

THE COST ON THE CORSA DUAL EXAUST INSTALLED IS 1,495.00 (4 WEEKS OUT) SPOILER IS 845.00 PAINTED AND INSTALLED (INSTOCK) WE ALSO HAVE A REAR WHEEL HOP COIL OVER SHOCK KIT INSTALLED FOR 1395.00 (IN STOCK)"

LARRY

Sorry I don't have more details now. I'm just starting the search / research.
    The Supercharger timeframe is nearly exactly what they(he) told me about 90 days ago

Guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I hope there is a turnkey DIY s/c kit developed...but I think the LS6 probably is best dyno tuned after such an installation to both maximize performance and minimize problems.

Keep us posted...I'd LOVE to S/C but will probably do a top end/cam install instead.

I agree with the dynoing. That's why I'm leaning toward MorePerformanceInc.com. They do a before and after dyno. And the Stage 1 kit will give me a little more zoom zoom, not require extensive engine mod and keep the car whole as a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Scott
    I agree with the dynoing. That's why I'm leaning toward MorePerformanceInc.com. They do a before and after dyno. And the Stage 1 kit will give me a little more zoom zoom, not require extensive engine mod and keep the car whole as a daily driver.
    My thoughts exactly.

Vedder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Cool Re: Which supercharger would you recommend?

I spoke with Chuck Mallet about 1 1/2 mo's ago and he said that even at 6lbs of boost with the MPI supercharger, the bottom needs to be built up(stroked I believe). Maybe he's just saying that for his sake... any experts out there on what would be reliable supercharger with no bottom end re-build? Also, which of the superchargers gives you the top end power. I think that is were this car lags... a supercharger working more in the 4k RPM range and up is what I would like to see.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Vedder,

Storked refers to increasing displacement through a stroker kit... which is not required to beef up the bottom end, although perhaps a consideration if you're in there anyhow.

Dan

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

he said that even at 6lbs of boost with the MPI supercharger, the bottom needs to be built up(stroked I believe).
    He has seen stock Z06 motors fail running 6psi... that's why he says that... Basically anything over +100rwhp on a stock motor makes him nervous...

When speaking to Mike at More Performance Inc, he told me they've put 4K miles on a stage 1 upgraded stock engine with no issues. Anything beyond the 6lbs of boost (stage 2 & 3) would require engine modifications.

I'm a novice in this area and can't justify any of the claims. If anyone feels I'm making a mistake heading in that direction PLEASE let me know before I fall off the cliff (so to speak).

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    He has seen stock Z06 motors fail running 6psi... that's why he says that... Basically anything over +100rwhp on a stock motor makes him nervous...
    Lingenfelter doesn't share Mallett's concerns about running a low boost Magnusson blower on a LS6 as witnessed by their Z06 program... But different tuners, different concerns.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

If you are serious about more power, definitely give a call to Ligenfelter and see what they can do for you. Most likely Ligenfelter would install a Magnuson Radix blower if that was your choice - pick their brains, see what they recommend.

Remember, all it takes is money to go fast.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Scott,

East Coast Supercharging in Cream Ridge will do the ATI Procharger install for around $8-9k you'll have to call Chris and get a quote. I can refer you if you like, that way if it comes out good I'll get him to knock some money off my various pending installs.

They do mag superchargers too there. Good quality work and they will do the dyno tune etc for you as well. I have had all my work done there so far for even minor stuff and it's good.

The ATI is the way to go in my opinion, it's intercooled (the cheap kits are not) and if you rebuild the bottom end you can crank the boost up to 18-20psi no problem and be pushing ridiculous rwhp.

If you want to get in contact with me I am in south NJ, drop me a PM and I can set you up with what I spent a month or two learning about CTS-V tuning in our area.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

Superchargers usually increase given engine Horse Power by about 33%. There is a Supercharger that will increase Horse Power by 50%. It is the Whipple Supercharger. The reason is that Whipple builds a Screw-Type supercharger compressor which operates adiabatically. This means the pressure increase is achieved with almost no increase in temperature. The best way to increase horsepower is to inject a cold air charge. The specific power output is raised. Just installing a lower temperature thermostat will give a cheap power increased. However, your engine computer is deceived to run as if your car is operating from a cold start continuously. The computer will set timing inappropriately, increasing emissions. When the older design lobe type superchargers increase inlet pressure, they significantly raise air charge temperature. This greatly reduces the effective gain since the hotter air charge is less dense, limiting the relative gain.

Vedder is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Who makes it?
    How much?
    Do they have one for the V? if not, call, get on it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.