Which supercharger would you recommend? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Which supercharger would you recommend? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; ...
    Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Which supercharger would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by CTSV_Scott
    I would really like to thank everyone for your input! Due to your suggestions/thoughts/experience/etc., I've found a local shop in NJ (East Cost Supercharging) that has significant experience supercharging LS engines and also I've shifted my thoughts on S/Cs from Vortech or ATI to Magnusson.

Shinkaze your two cents are directly in line with Chris' from ECS. I was a little concerned about the hybrid Magnusson having only heard that from one source (being Chris at the time), but your input raised my comfort level. I’ve also received a similar recommendation today from Thunder Racing.

Chris from ECS is supposed to call me back when he gets a date on the Magnusson (he's thinking the next few weeks). And he's guessing in the $7K – lower $8K range. I also asked him about a group purchase like several of us did with BMR. Anyone interested?
    I'm very interested, but Sadly I have to buy the V first

FWIW at this point I'm leaning more toward the V than the 545 sport, but it will still be after Thanksgiving before I get mine.

-Adam

2004ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Red face Re: Which supercharger would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkaze
    FYI the Magnusson is not a "Screw charger" like the Whipple, the Magnusson/Eaton blower is a hybrid-Roots Blower
    You're correct

The eaton is a roots twisted lobe but not a rotary screw

sefa01 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

To CTSV Scot:

I'm interested in a group purchase from East Coast. Cal first brought them up, so maybe he's interested, too.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Since Cal isn't doing that 427... he definitely needs a Magnusson...

baf_ctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The Mag. with intercooler would be the best bet. A friend put a Mag kit on an H2 and this thing is a monster . Spins all 4 wheels . Tons of power . I talked to Magnuson , Superchips who does their Re-Prog. and East Coast. I would say the timeframe for a real kit you can buy will be the Nov. timeframe. But that give plenty of time to upgrade the wheel hopping suspension!!

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I just bought a new house, give me a break!

I don't think you will get much of a group purchase break on the Mag. kit but hey let me know. I doubt I will go for it since the car is not a fall/winter driver, but I'd definitely like to see the finished product so I'm glad 2 people near me are considering it.

Keep in mind you will have to do away with the strut tower brace and get a new hood for the Mag to fit in there. But the low end torque on that kit is absurd.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV
    You nailed it on the head Shinkaze. Eatons come from the factory on Fords and GM's with nary a peep of problems. The other brands of superchargers are afterthoughts, not integrated systems like the Eaton.
    Also remember that the engine lower end and drive train is typically beefed up by the factory to handle the additional torque and power output gained by supercharging. This is a part of their trouble free operation. More boost means more power means more demands on the cooling system too, particularly if you use it for supplying the intercooler. If the V is already running near the edge on cooling capacity, supercharging could easily push it over the edge. It might be worth checking to see what Eaton or Magnusun recommends.

BeagleBrains is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1975 Seville; 2004 CTS V; 2011 CTS V Coupe

My friend owned a Pontiac Bonneville with the Supercharged V6. The supercharger failed ab 38,000 miles. I haven't heard much of encouraging experiences with Turbo Chargers either. Reliability problem or just pushed too hard, I do not know. Therefore I sincerely appreciate a naturally aspirated engine with lots of horsepower and torque designed in.

CTSV_Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cal
    Keep in mind you will have to do away with the strut tower brace and get a new hood for the Mag to fit in there. But the low end torque on that kit is absurd.
    What!? None of the other S/C installs I've seen require a new hood or removal of strut brace. What's different with Mag?

Quote Originally Posted by sefa01
    To CTSV Scot:

I'm interested in a group purchase from East Coast. Cal first brought them up, so maybe he's interested, too.
    I'll keep in touch. If I can get a few more interested parties I'll further the conversation with East Coast Supercharging.

OK Cal, I think you're right with the Magnusson. I checked out the Magnusson in more detail and tada. No brace in the photos (not sure about the hood)!

I'm hoping for something more along the lines of this vortech install...

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

No new hood required (info directly from Mag). Stock strut bar will not work (obviously)... will need someone to redesign one for us!

More boost means more power means more demands on the cooling system too, particularly if you use it for supplying the intercooler.
    Mag's I/C is a self-contained unit, it does not use coolant from the radiator.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Don't think you will fit any type of top-side brace over that supercharger. You could go with sway bars underneath or something, but I think it's pretty much out of the question without some massive hood that looks ridiculous.

5CTRVET is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If you look closely at the rear of the blower you can see that it is sitting about 1.5 - 2" lower than the cowl. I bet someone (ahem...bmr) could fab up a strut tower brace that would be able to fit in that area to be used with this kit. Or maybe triangulate with the cowl for even more strength. I have seen some other cars that need to do something similar.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I bet money there is a way (there is certainly the will). I think the I/C Mag is the best candidate for a stock lower end daily driver, which MOST of us are after, I think.

Hard to tell fromt he pictures, but I'M SURE that it can be done, and I will make my own if necessary if that is what it takes it get an I/C Mag on my V!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.