Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Okay I have only had my V for a couple of days and I am ready for an upgrade in ...
    crash32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust?

Okay I have only had my V for a couple of days and I am ready for an upgrade in the exhaust department!! The only thing is I cannot decide if I want to go with an exhaust system with headers or if I simply just want to go with an exhaust.

I guess it comes down to a few issues.

1) Don't get me wrong, I love to hear and feel the power, but will I be able to make a telephone call in my V and have no trouble carrying on a converstation if I decide to go with Magnaflows and Kooks? I know at WOT, it will be LOUD, but how loud will the inside of the cabin be at normal cruising speeds.

2) Is the HP gain of adding headers worth it over simply getting the exhaust?

3) On my old K5 Blazer, I had headers put on there and the engine would get SO HOT that the plug wires would burn eventhough there was no direct contact. Is this going to be a problem with the headers on the V?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Re: Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust?

If you are questioning it, go with Magnaflow first. If you decide that you want it louder and want more power, add Kooks. I was happy with Magnaflow for about four months, then I got the itch form more power and a deeper sound.

The sound of Magnaflow and Kooks is glorious!

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

If you want the most HP, get B&B headers!

Get the headers first, and see how well you like the sound of the rest of the stock exhaust. You can always take the sound deadening in your mufflers out, or do a muffler delete later. Or, go catback afterwards.

I would much rather do the headers AND catback at the same time as opposed to one now and other later! So... B&B = more hp than Kooks!!?? Is this for real or just personal preferance?

Also, I will not be running cats. Will this affect my 02 or computer readings??

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
    I would much rather do the headers AND catback at the same time as opposed to one now and other later! So... B&B = more hp than Kooks!!?? Is this for real or just personal preferance?

That's an excellent question for SkullV!!

Where ya at Ted??

Before he recently went to a very generous land/sea dyno, we both had gotten tuned from the same tuner on the same stingy mustang dyno. He has kooks/and a (dont know brand) catback, and I have B&B headers/catback and I pulled like 10hp on him.

As far as the O2 readings, just have the tuner turn em off.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    That's an excellent question for SkullV!!

Where ya at Ted??

Before he recently went to a very generous land/sea dyno, we both had gotten tuned from the same tuner on the same stingy mustang dyno. He has kooks/and a (dont know brand) catback, and I have B&B headers/catback and I pulled like 10hp on him.

As far as the O2 readings, just have the tuner turn em off.
    what were your numbers on thew stingy mustang dyno?

and what are you other mods besides headers and catback ?

Srry to whore your thread I just want to compare my mustang Dyno numbers to someone elses cause seem like everyone has dyno jet numbers around.

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    If you want the most HP, get B&B headers!

It's all up to personal preference or which you can find for the best deal on.

I am not running cats and have passed inspection every time. As long as you are tuned and have no check engine lights you will pass inspection. Your local tuner can turn all your O2 sensors off and fix any check engine lights caused by the headers and no cats. What state are you in?

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

All those exhausts sound great and even better with headers. If you're worried about the sound level while cruising to make telephone calls, Corsa (even with headers) might be the least noisy but will rival any of 'em at WOT.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

B&B headers w/out cats and B&B catback with X-pipe was easy to drive long distance. Windows up and the sound is pretty muted...

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

i have a x-pipe with my own mufflers and its very quiet ..

I will be getting headers shorty so ill see how much louder it is.

Im also cammed so its a bit louder then stock ..but not anoying at all..

I love loud pipes, love the way the muffler delter sounds on the v

....But my old camaro had a slp loudmouth and you could barly talk to the person beside you let alone talk on the phone.

Thanks guys! I live in NC and I am not worried about passing inspection since I have my "connections", but that is awesome that it will still pass inspection!

I have heard that with headers, that a proper tune is a MUST otherwise you will actually loose hp with headers!!!! I'm sure that this is old news on this message board, but that really surprised me. I am glad that you guys say that with the windows up that it sounds pretty "muted". Exactly the response I was looking for.

Now about the x pipe..... I have heard not one, but several people that hate the way the x pipe sounds on their V. One person even mentioned that it made their LS6 sound like a 4 cylinder. While I am sure that this was a gross exageration..... does the x pipe alter the sound as opposed to just running them straight back?

CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

1) Don't get me wrong, I love to hear and feel the power, but will I be able to make a telephone call in my V and have no trouble carrying on a converstation if I decide to go with Magnaflows and Kooks? I know at WOT, it will be LOUD, but how loud will the inside of the cabin be at normal cruising speeds.
    I have 5% of the hearing in my right ear and 95% in my left, so interior drone/cabin noise is something I can't afford when driving around clients in my "company" car. I have TPIS longtubes, xpipe and magnaflows. The typical response I get from 55+ year old business owners is:
    "Yeah! Now THATS a Cadillac! Stand on it for me."
    I wont ever go back to just exhaust, car sounded like a god damn electric razor.

2) Is the HP gain of adding headers worth it over simply getting the exhaust?
    30+ hp out of EVERY LS series engine Ive ever seen tuned with headers.

3) On my old K5 Blazer, I had headers put on there and the engine would get SO HOT that the plug wires would burn eventhough there was no direct contact. Is this going to be a problem with the headers on the V?
    I have not had this problem, sounds more like you had an issue with wires being to close or not properly adjusting the air fuel ratio for headers - the air/fuel mix will lean out and thus needs to be richened or the heads will run hotter, sometimes burning valves, headers get hotter, etc.

Long story short: You want headers.

jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Well, I don't think you will loose HP with headers and no tune, but a tune is best. I picked up 18 HP with my tune over stock tune. I am basically full exhaust with headers, KAI and light weight flywheel.

B&B headers with thier exhaust is the way to go. I have with high flow cats and the resonitator style and have absolutely no issues with makeing calls when cruising. In fact I am upping the ante and remove the cats and go with an X-Pipe. I talked to whistler (offroad pipes only) and Mike with B&B and am convinced. Mike told me that the X-Pipe actually cut down on cabin drown as it gets the sound out the back and is not held up under the car with the resonitator. He went on to talk about how his brother, the owner, has one of our cars as a daily driver and he felt that the V exhaust was the best exhaust the company ever did.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

I have heard that with headers, that a proper tune is a MUST otherwise you will actually loose hp with headers!!!! I'm sure that this is old news on this message board, but that really surprised me. I am glad that you guys say that with the windows up that it sounds pretty "muted". Exactly the response I was looking for.
    You'll also want the tune to keep from running too lean which can kill your engine...

SkullV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

At this point there is no question in my mind that my Kook's/Magnaflow setup makes more power then the full B&B setup. It's all in the tune. I prefer the sound of a the Magnaflow cat-back but if you want nascar sound go with B&B. Now if you want to sound like a motorboat with a pissed off outboard motor go with Corsa.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.