Cadillac Owners Forum banner
5K views 66 replies 27 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
Okay I have only had my V for a couple of days and I am ready for an upgrade in the exhaust department!! The only thing is I cannot decide if I want to go with an exhaust system with headers or if I simply just want to go with an exhaust.

I guess it comes down to a few issues.

1) Don't get me wrong, I love to hear and feel the power, but will I be able to make a telephone call in my V and have no trouble carrying on a converstation if I decide to go with Magnaflows and Kooks? I know at WOT, it will be LOUD, but how loud will the inside of the cabin be at normal cruising speeds.

2) Is the HP gain of adding headers worth it over simply getting the exhaust?

3) On my old K5 Blazer, I had headers put on there and the engine would get SO HOT that the plug wires would burn eventhough there was no direct contact. Is this going to be a problem with the headers on the V?

Thanks for the help!

#51 ·
Just an observation that will save you guys a lot of money and time...You what the difference is between the corsa and stock system?

I will tell you, obviously the rear mufflers, and the resonator, the bends are exactly the same and to be honest te stock resonator has an x-pipe built into it. So if you are on a budget, slap in some headers, keep the resonator and pipin to the rear, and just change out the rear mufflers...you will get the performance and at a fraction of the cost...

I am bendin some 2.75" Ti pipe for my new exhaust system...3" was too noisy and 2.5" was a little chokie...Half way aught to be perfect...I am copyin the stock setup but using the idea of the corsa mufflers for simplicity...The resonator in the middle is gonna be tough...Have to make make a x-pipe within a canister of small dimensions...

My suggestion, go with headers and mufflers in the rear...You will love it and the car will still be reasonably toned inside the cab....

#53 ·
I know kooks makes the headers and high flow cats to connect to the factory resonator.......do it! :thumbsup:

#54 ·
Matt05V said:
I know kooks makes the headers and high flow cats to connect to the factory resonator.......do it!

"Connects to" is a generous term- you still need to hack up the stock pipes and have a flange made for them. Just the header downpipe without cats extends further back than where the flange is on the stock manifolds, so even a catless setup would require cutting. See pictures in the next post.

#55 ·
I found a picture from my install. That's the Kooks headers, and even though I hadn't even installed the supplied cats yet at that point, it's still too long to bolt up to my Corsa (seen on the right), which is the same length as stock.

The stock cats live up near the oil filter (blue, in my picture), so there's no way to keep them with headers. Even if you did a catless setup, you'd need to hack about two inches off the front of the exhaust. If you buy new cats and add them to the end of the headers, you'll need to cut off almost all the pipe in front of the resonator.

#60 ·
Yes, California does use the tailpipe sniffer on OBD2 cars. I am installing Stainless Works headers and 3" catback with X-pipe and high flow cats this weekend. I also have a W4M PCM already on the way to go along with it. I'll post a video after it's installed if you're curious how it sounds.

#62 ·
no sniffers in IL. 96 and newer simply get plugged into the obd port.

older than 96 gets the anal treatment, and a dyno run; and you have to schedule an appointment at one of the few facilities they have left and I believe pay a nice fee for all of this.

illnois ftl

#63 ·
Mike with B&B and am convinced. Mike told me that the X-Pipe actually cut down on cabin drown as it gets the sound out the back and is not held up under the car with the resonitator. He went on to talk about how his brother, the owner, has one of our cars as a daily driver and he felt that the V exhaust was the best exhaust the company ever did.[/QUOTE]

Mike was no help to me when my B&B shorty headers fried my wires on a regular basis on my C5. The B&B chrome exhaust tips on my C5 are pealing, we will see how B&B handles that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.