Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Originally Posted by SoJersey05V kooks and corsa!!!! no better combo... gives a F1 kinda sound at WOT. Originally Posted by ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Headers and exhaust or JUST exhaust?

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    kooks and corsa!!!! no better combo... gives a F1 kinda sound at WOT.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Yeah, all that is missing is another 14,000 rpm.
    post of the year
    can't believe I missed it

i have heard F1 cars. I have heard cars with Corsa. I imagine they sound the same to someone who is deaf.

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

I wish we had enough room underneath to dump the exhaust just before the rear wheel (through the factory side skirt).

Quote Originally Posted by deedubb View Post
    I wish we had enough room underneath to dump the exhaust just before the rear wheel (through the factory side skirt).
    and melt the skirts?

crash32 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

What I really need is somone local with headers so I can listen to the vehicle in PERSON!!!!

I have never heard a V with headers, but my dad has an 85 Monte Carlo with a ZZx (something like that) Chevy crate engine with 3" headers? They are huge, he had to cut a hole in the wheelwells for them to fit. And it sounds REALLY good.

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just an observation that will save you guys a lot of money and time...You what the difference is between the corsa and stock system?

I will tell you, obviously the rear mufflers, and the resonator, the bends are exactly the same and to be honest te stock resonator has an x-pipe built into it. So if you are on a budget, slap in some headers, keep the resonator and pipin to the rear, and just change out the rear mufflers...you will get the performance and at a fraction of the cost...

I am bendin some 2.75" Ti pipe for my new exhaust system...3" was too noisy and 2.5" was a little chokie...Half way aught to be perfect...I am copyin the stock setup but using the idea of the corsa mufflers for simplicity...The resonator in the middle is gonna be tough...Have to make make a x-pipe within a canister of small dimensions...

My suggestion, go with headers and mufflers in the rear...You will love it and the car will still be reasonably toned inside the cab....

I was wondering about that. I was thinking headers as one of my next mods, but was wondering if I could keep the rest of the exhaust in place, while only replacing the manifolds.

Matt05V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

I know kooks makes the headers and high flow cats to connect to the factory resonator.......do it!

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Quote Originally Posted by Matt05V
    I know kooks makes the headers and high flow cats to connect to the factory resonator.......do it!

"Connects to" is a generous term- you still need to hack up the stock pipes and have a flange made for them. Just the header downpipe without cats extends further back than where the flange is on the stock manifolds, so even a catless setup would require cutting. See pictures in the next post.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

I found a picture from my install. That's the Kooks headers, and even though I hadn't even installed the supplied cats yet at that point, it's still too long to bolt up to my Corsa (seen on the right), which is the same length as stock.

The stock cats live up near the oil filter (blue, in my picture), so there's no way to keep them with headers. Even if you did a catless setup, you'd need to hack about two inches off the front of the exhaust. If you buy new cats and add them to the end of the headers, you'll need to cut off almost all the pipe in front of the resonator.

how would you run without cats? Won't that throw a code? If not, that would be pretty slick, since there is no visual inspection here in IL. As long as no service is light is on, they plug in looking for codes, and if none are present, you pass emissions.

You'll definitely throw a "catalyst inefficient" code, but the PCM can be set to ignore the rear sensors by a tuner.

heavymetals is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 maggied CTS-V, 03 maggied Z06

You won't pass when they cram the sniffer up the tailpipe.

maxspeed96ct is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by heavymetals View Post
    You won't pass when they cram the sniffer up the tailpipe.
    most states dont do the tail sniffer on odb-2 cars.

I think CA is one that does but im not sure about others.

I went catted just to be sure I dont have any issues , without cats and a cam the car can smell skunky at times...

BerserkerV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V

Yes, California does use the tailpipe sniffer on OBD2 cars. I am installing Stainless Works headers and 3" catback with X-pipe and high flow cats this weekend. I also have a W4M PCM already on the way to go along with it. I'll post a video after it's installed if you're curious how it sounds.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.