Clutch Questions? Enter. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Clutch Questions? Enter. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I'll start by saying that I apologize for the delay, my business partners wife had their baby over the weekend ...
    Steve@SNL/Monster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Re: Clutch Questions? Enter.

I'll start by saying that I apologize for the delay, my business partners wife had their baby over the weekend and he was two months early... needless to say I was taking care of family.

On a side note, I cannot send pm's for some reason, so, if you guys have questions post up or shoot me an email at steve@monsterclutch.com.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoole View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I am looking for a clutch setup and was wondering what the difference is between the 2 and 2.5? Also, I noticed you are kinda local would you offer install?

Thanks.
    Thanks a ton for the welcome! The difference between our 2 and 2.5 setups are the following;

The 2's have an organic on one side and kevlar on the other, it makes for a nice and smooth engagement and great wear capabilities.

The 2.5's have a carbon organic on one side and ceramic on the other, often duplicated, this material is our own blend on both sides. It has been duplicated by another friction material company, however, our coefficient of frictions are miles apart. This clutch is a very smooth setup that will take some abuse.

We don't give away too much info as we've been getting a few companies out there trying to duplicate what we have. As far as our site showing the same descriptions, that is because we are working on a new, much more informative site that will make that one look terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by liqidvenom View Post
    so if someone wanted to go with a clutch and single mass flywheel in the c6 style, would your modded slave cylinder work for us across the board or would it only work with your clutch setup.

I was gonna assume it would be the same but so far everything seems more difficult then it should be
    That will really depend on the clutches stack height and release point. Every clutch is different, so, you will have to measure on the car and have a local clutch rebuilder put the assembly on what's called a pull down table so they can check the release point. You can also send your assembly to me as we've got the equipment to test such things.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    If we just wanted the flywheel, do you have a "bolt-on" kit for that? Price?
    Also, I may be stupid, but the description for the 2 and 2.5 kits looks the same. What's the difference?
    And by roll racing, do you mean just gunning it while moving? I try to do a few road course track days a year. I'm sure your kits are good for that.
    thanks

Tony
    I'm not following your train of thought here... we do NOT and will NOT ever sell our pressure plates and discs seperately.

As far as the flywheels, we replace your existing dual mass setup with a standard lighter flywheel. This mixed with our pressure plate, disc, alignment tool, pilot bearing, release bearing, and a modified slave cylinder make up our clutch kit.

Just to save you guys some trouble, a Fbody slave will NOT work on this application. If you were to use the stock CTS-V slave you would have to use a shim that is so thick it would not allow the lines to come out of the transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by SoJersey05V View Post
    finally some solid answers!!!! i will be jumping on a 2.5 sometime shortly here.... then mite need to get it installed!!! lol
    Give us a call, we'll get you taken care of!

OK I just wanted to make sure. The email response you sent me 2wks ago mentioned having to use a shim. So if a c6 clutch kit is purchased it will come with the modified c6 slave or do we have to mention to you before we order that we would be needing the modification done to it?
    You need to call us and order one for your Cadillac, if you order a C6 package on line we will send you a C6 clutch, not a CTS-V clutch. This will change once our new site is up, but in the meantime we will have you guys call in. Keep in mind that I will not give out too much info as I don't want to give away proprietary information.

Quote Originally Posted by c4ss View Post
    Welcome Steve ...Glad to have you on here. I've been talking to Whisler about his clutch you guys set him up with and he seems to have nothing but good things to say about it. When my clutch goes (which it seems it may soon) I will likely use your brand judging by all the positive feedback I've read on here, as well as you becoming a vendor. I will be keeping up to date on this thread. Thanks again.
    Thank you for the kind words, let me know if you have any questions!

Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger8 View Post
    Steve, I know that there's alot of proprietary information on vendor's clutch setups (believe me I know from calling around and everyone keeps telling me ask the guy that sold you your clutch) I'm not asking for dimensions or anything (unless you'll give them out ) But would you sell your slave cylinder seperately from one of your packages?

Thanks, we all appreciate all the help we can get.
    That is something that we've toyed with. My problem is this, R&D on a clutch setup takes time and money. We have clients bring cars in and we get our fitment info from them. The problem with the clutch market is that many of the companies gather intel from other brands, we are all guilty of it. In the end it makes things more obtainable for the consumer, I'm just not sure I want to give this proprietary info out yet. I'll get back to you on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Claimslngr View Post
    Steve maybe this is a dumb question but I am trying to do some of my upgrades in steps. If I replace the clutch now with one of your units, will it still work if I need to upgrade my trans. with a Tranzilla or RPM heavier unit.
    Thanks for your service.
    As long as it uses the same basic dimensions of your existing transmission (which it will) then you'll be fine. I've got clutches in front of both of the units you speak of and they work great. However, if you are ever in doubt measure, measure, measure! I would rather you measure the dimensions that are critical to know for clutch engagement and disengagement and shoot me a few emails than for you to throw it all together and have to remove it all again.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    Welcome to the boards sir! Too bad this didn't happen 3-4 days ago, you would have sold me a stage 3.5!
    Thanks a ton and that is too bad!

i'm going to contact that TT performance place... never heard of them.. if not then i'll buy the clutch and have either my friend (gm mechanic) or RPM in DE do it... idk yet...

how much does the 2.5 clutch setup for our car go for? ...

and also whistler... do you have a remote bleeder? or does this c6 slave allow for one?
    The pricing for your clutches are the same as the pricing for the C6 clutches on our site. Keep in mind that these prices are for everything you need for the clutch install, no guess work, no worries.

We offer remote bleeders for these cars, we have an 18" unit for $29.99 and a 40" unit for $39.99, both have generic bleeders on the ends. Any C6 bleeder will work.

thanks...

now question for Monster clutches.... looking at price... the 3 is cheaper then the 2.5, why? i think i recall the difference between the 3 and the 2.5 was that the 2.5 was organic and carbon? where the 3 is both sides carbon... for the price difference and better power holding... is it ok to put that in my daily driver? now obviously someday i want to build up the HP ... hopefully soon do a cam and headers and tune to put me between 420-430rwhp...
    The 2.5 cost a bit more to make, if I were to use the generic (copied) version of my material it would be about $120 cheaper, but, then it wouldn't be a Monster Clutch.

The Level 3 is our entry level motorsport clutch. This clutch not only has a much higher coefficient of friction that the Level 2.5, it's also a 6 puck design that is specifically for extreme use. The 3 will take all the abuse you can throw at it, you will also find any and all weak links you have in your drivetrain as this clutch does not slip once engaged. After 500 miles there should be no chatter at all and the clutch is easy and driveable.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Not a lot of questions being answered here. But I assume the level 3 would be too "grabby" for a DD.
    I still wanna know why the 2 and 2.5 are described the same, and if I can get just the flywheel as a "bolt-on" kit.

Tony
    All of these questions have been answered above with the exception of the Level 3's drivability.

Our 3 is one of our most popular clutches, it's rated at a proven 700 hp/tq and that is to the rear wheels. For this very reason we reformulated our cerametallic formula to be forgiving when slipping the clutch and demanding once engaged. We have one of the highest coefficients of frictions on the market in the cerametallic formulas and that is something we are very proud of. Rest assured, you can daily drive a 3 without any issues, the first 500 miles will get you some chatter, after that, you're golden.

All of our testing is confirmed and done on a vehicle weighing 4000lbs. Not only do we test all of our clutches on the street, we also test them at the track (autocross/roadrace and the drag strip), and in a controlled lab test. For these reasons alone is why that we have less than .4% warranty issues and still have the best warranty on the planet when it comes to clutches. We stand behind our clutches because we know what they can do, we've tested them in every possible scenario, and what you see in our Level's 1-6.5 are all of the units that consistently passed with flying colors.

Quote Originally Posted by darkman View Post
    Okay, if this is the clutch question thread where is the clutch answer thread?
    LOL, sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by GFORCE1320 View Post
    Guys, Steve is out this week and the guys at the shop are swamped.
    I'll see if I can get him to jump in for a bit or maybe Matt or Jason will.
    Thanks Chris, I appreciate you coming in here.
    Steve @ SNL and Monster
    817-750-2000
    steve@monsterclutch.com
    www.snlperformance.com (go fast) / www.monsterclutch.com (get the power to the pavement)

GFORCE1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): NONE

Dam, someone knows his shit! LOL

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Steve@SNL/Monster View Post
    Just to save you guys some trouble, a Fbody slave will NOT work on this application. If you were to use the stock CTS-V slave you would have to use a shim that is so thick it would not allow the lines to come out of the transmission.
    Quick, somebody tell Thomas...

oh wait, wut?!

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

We offer remote bleeders for these cars, we have an 18" unit for $29.99 and a 40" unit for $39.99, both have generic bleeders on the ends. Any C6 bleeder will work.
    Aww crud now you tell me! I paid 80 bucks for a LAPD bleeder because I was in a jam after buying another one for a Goat that didn’t fit!... Oh well. live and learn... I also missed out on this by a month or so...

FWIW The GM C6 setup I just put in (which included a C6 slave) did end up needing a Slave Shim for better pedal engagement. So now we know the F-Body setup doesn't work (sorry Lolly) and that the C6 setup will work w/o a spacer but engages better with one... Maybe it's better to leave the guesswork out and get something known to fit well ..... like maybe a monster setup perhaps.....

(I can see why this fitment info and other clutch specs are proprietary.... what a PITA to figure it out yourself)

Claimslngr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 06' cts-v infrared

Monster response!

Appreciate the information it was much needed around here. I would also say your customer service to me so far has been great. I spoke with Matt and he helped me quite a bit. Hopefully when all is figured out we can do some business and I can do a writeup on your product!

And by the way congrats to your partner and their baby! I hope all is well.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

My brain would asplode putting together a response like that...

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Steve,
    Hi I live in the DFW area, I called Monster awhile back when I thought I needed a clutch.
    I have a 2004 CTSV stock about 350 @ the wheels.
    I plan to keep like this until I decided cam/headers then I want to shoot for 420-430 @ wheels

What's your recommendation for clutch?
    what's your parts and labor costs out the door?
    ....I remember being quoted a "monster" price

BTW, all of from the board know and trust Luke @ Lindsey
    Luke has a good deal with the LS7 clutch kit (clutch+flywheel+slave cylinder) for $625.00

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycecco View Post
    Steve,
    Hi I live in the DFW area, I called Monster awhile back when I thought I needed a clutch.
    I plan to keep like this until I decided cam/headers then I want to shoot for 420-430 @ wheels

Luke has a good deal with the LS7 clutch kit (clutch+flywheel+slave cylinder) for $625.00

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

liqidvenom is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): cts-v

nice reply snl

Quote Originally Posted by nmaier2201 View Post
    Aww crud now you tell me! I paid 80 bucks for a LAPD bleeder because I was in a jam after buying another one for a Goat that didn’t fit!... Oh well. live and learn... I also missed out on this by a month or so...

FWIW The GM C6 setup I just put in (which included a C6 slave) did end up needing a Slave Shim for better pedal engagement. So now we know the F-Body setup doesn't work (sorry Lolly) and that the C6 setup will work w/o a spacer but engages better with one... Maybe it's better to leave the guesswork out and get something known to fit well ..... like maybe a monster setup perhaps.....

(I can see why this fitment info and other clutch specs are proprietary.... what a PITA to figure it out yourself)
    did you drive around with the c6 setup installed? any more insight into your thoughts on it?

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Quote Originally Posted by jerrycecco View Post
    Steve,

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com
    Their prices are on the website. I believe Matt said it was $300 for install. I'm sure you will be good with a level one or two. That should be around $1100 installed.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoole View Post
    If either of y'all want to drive my V with level 2.5 just PM or text me.

jpoole is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by whisler151 View Post
    Their prices are on the website. I believe Matt said it was $300 for install. I'm sure you will be good with a level one or two. That should be around $1100 installed.

If either of y'all want to drive my V with level 2.5 just PM or text me.
    I will be texting this weekend. I got my breakend and did a 3000 rpm drop this evening. Feels pretty good!

jerrycecco is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

[quote=whisler151;1984151]Their prices are on the website. I believe Matt said it was $300 for install. I'm sure you will be good with a level one or two. That should be around $1100 installed.

I found my notes, a few months ago they quoted me for a level 2.5:
    $960 + $450 labor = $1410

jerrycecco@tx.rr.com

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

I'm not following your train of thought here... we do NOT and will NOT ever sell our pressure plates and discs seperately.

As far as the flywheels, we replace your existing dual mass setup with a standard lighter flywheel. This mixed with our pressure plate, disc, alignment tool, pilot bearing, release bearing, and a modified slave cylinder make up our clutch kit.
    Thanks Steve
    I was asking about doing just the flywheel. Will it bolt up with my stock clutch? I assume I'll need to change the slave. Do you sell the parts that will bolt on without any modding? Price?

Tony

nmaier2201 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

nmaier did you drive around with the c6 setup installed? any more insight into your thoughts on it?
    Yeah it's great. I ended up using a shim... but I also ended up using a different slave... so take that with a grain of salt.

The lighter flywheel is fantastic... but anyone with a UUC will also tell you that. Pedal effort I can't comment on since my old setup the slave was failing and it was a TON of pressure to depress the pedal... so to me the pedal feels great now!

Rev's way faster.. you can tell a decent amount of HP was freed up by shedding ~25lbs off the rotating mass.

lollygagger8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2004 CTS-V

^Do want^

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.