Max lift on LS6 without flycutting?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, Max lift on LS6 without flycutting? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; Who here has over .600 lift and hasnt fly cut pistons? (I want to run something crazy like a .660 ...
    CTS-Voodoo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 05 Raven V

Max lift on LS6 without flycutting?

Who here has over .600 lift and hasnt fly cut pistons? (I want to run something crazy like a .660 for the hell of it.)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ctsv154 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device

Re: Max lift on LS6 without flycutting?

I've run .649 before the blower. I think any father than the .649 and your running on the edge. If something happened it would kiss a valve and your done. If you go over to LS1tech, there are a lot of cam guys over there that can help too.

Den_93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V

I think you can run a MS4 cam w/o the flycut, but it would be close.

I'm running a Comp Cams 54-448-11 Xtreme XE-R GM Gen III LS1 LS6 Hydraulic Roller Camshaft
    RPM Operating Range-2800-7200
    Intake Lift-.605"
    Exhaust Lift-.609"
    Intake Advertised Duration-287°
    Intake Duration @ .050" Lift-238°
    Exhaust Advertised Duration-289°
    Exhaust Duration @ .050" Lift-240°
    Lobe Separation Angle-112°

If I was going to do it again, I would go with a smaller cam, but depends on what you want (I think I am getting old!)..

The MS4 cam is what I had.

jebus! 238/240 @.050? How was driveability?

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

It totally depends on the duration and ramprate/lobe profile. This will tell you how much you can open the valve at any given time.

Spec your cam based on your needs, not on some arbitrary lift #.

Once you start moving into the .620+ though with an agressive duration and ramp rate, you seriously need to start thinking about checking the PTV. I've even heard that it is HIGHLY recommened to check PTV with the MS4.

-Chris

P.S. my cam is .610 / .588
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    It totally depends on the duration and ramprate/lobe profile. This will tell you how much you can open the valve at any given time.

Spec your cam based on your needs, not on some arbitrary lift #.

Once you start moving into the .620+ though with an agressive duration and ramp rate, you seriously need to start thinking about checking the PTV. I've even heard that it is HIGHLY recommened to check PTV with the MS4.

-Chris

P.S. my cam is .610 / .588
    Yeah, after speaking with livernois motorsports I was talked into a:

230/236 .630 .610 112LSA

THEY HAVE SPRINGS RATED TO .690 lift!

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    Yeah, after speaking with livernois motorsports I was talked into a:

230/236 .630 .610 112LSA

THEY HAVE SPRINGS RATED TO .690 lift!
    Make sure you get the right spring for the cam you end up getting. Keep in mind that the LS6 has hollow intake valves, and sodium filled exhaust valves, that aren't as strong as comparable solid stainless valves. I've heard urban legends about the valve tops popping with too much seat pressure, but I'm not sure I completely buy that. STILL....it wouldn't hurt to be safe/smart (i.e. use the right spring for the job, and not some mammoth spring for no real reason).

With all that said...I have .610 lift cam, and have the patriot gold extreme dual springs, rated to .660. I went with these based on the agressive ramp rates on my cam (XFI / XE-R). Zero issues over 25k(ish) cam miles. I did go dual spring, as a slight added prtection. If one spring fails, you have the other to hopefully control the valve long enough to shut the engine down before it eats a valve.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Den_93 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac CTS V

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-Voodoo View Post
    jebus! 238/240 @.050? How was driveability?
    The drivablity was bearable with the 1st tune, but not happy (Made 438HP with cam/heads/ported TB). Tuner claimed it was the best he can do (which was BS). I changed tuners when I put the intake/injectors/90mm TB gained +30HP/20TQ, but drivablity suck (Idle hunting, running rich...same as before but worse..). What's nice about my new tuner is that he will work to improve drivablity for no additional charge! It took 2x for him to tune it and I am now very happy with the drivablity (90% happy). It doesn't idle search much (10%, and never stalls) and no issues with the AC on. The only problem I get is the richness of exhaust smell (I have no cats) which is about 10-15% of the time. But I think its worth it. Low end torque is lower, but it pull like a mofo at 4k+. The new cam Livernois Spec out is what I would get but maybe a LSA113. Make sure you get a tuner that doesn't just tune for idle/WOT.

My 2cents.

I also have the patriot gold extreme springs. Ran them with the MS4 cam and now the LG cam that is in now and have never had a single problem with them. They are really cheap compared to the comp springs but even with the MS4 and driving like a nut, I never a had a problem.

thanks guys. I appreciate the information, selecting a cam always makes me nervous, despite the fact Ive done it to every car I've owned

in the event anyone else wants to go shopping:

LS6 double roller timing chain
    .690 lift double valve spring kit
    232/232 .595 .595 114LSA (not mine but close enough)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.