K&N Intake Question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2004-2007 Cadillac CTS-V Performance Mods Discussion, K&N Intake Question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2004 - 2007; I have probably what would be considered a newbie 101 level question here....I just got my K&N FIPK via UPS ...
    Indy CTS-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

K&N Intake Question

I have probably what would be considered a newbie 101 level question here....I just got my K&N FIPK via UPS today. I got it from a fleabay vendor...no biggie. I understand there is two part #'s from K&N for the 2005 CTS-V...the older 63-3054 series...and the newer 57-3054 GenII.

Two questions....is there a difference at all in these units? Is there an advantage to the older one over the newer 57 series...or is the older series just what they called them prior to CARB status?

Confused a bit...I got the 57 series BTW. I made a mistake...as I was trying to get the 63 series....but does it really matter? Is there a difference at all?

I just was not worred about CARB status as I live in Indiana which does not have annual inspections or inspection at all for that matter.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question...lol. But I could not find the exact answer anywhere....so as I always was the dumb kid in class that raised his hand and asked the dumb question everybody had on thier mind anyway but was afraid to ask....here I am asking...lol.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: K&N Intake Question

Was this that dumb of a question? I see 50 people have viewed the thread but still no answer....

Again...sorry if this is a stupid question. lol

deedubb is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): E85 Powered - Maggie'd V

Not a dumb question, but one that could be answered via search
    that and it's late and most people are lazy, drunk or half asleep. I won't say which is me.

Type 57 is CARB legal and the 63 is not, the only difference is the sticker.
    I found it in this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...63-intake.html

bneal1022 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, K&N, Borla, short throw w/ Holden knob, hotchkis

Become a supporting member and the help will flow !!! You will never regret it !

Thanks guys! Yes...I will look into the supporting member deal and find out what I need to do to accomplish later today after I get to the office.

I was just wanting to get this thing installed last nite but didnt want to mess with anything prior to outfitting myself with the information I was looking for. If there was a difference....I would have just sold this one and went the other direction.

Good to know that the only difference is the sticker in the box! lol You wouldnt believe how long I labored over that difference...lol.

The mod game begins...lol. Last car I owned (2005 Acura TL) I had over $55,000 into before I gave up on imports and went back to Cadillac....supercharged, ect. and raced in Indy Region SCCA Autocross program (won street mod class in 2008).

malfeas99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Indy CTS-V View Post
    Thanks guys! Yes...I will look into the supporting member deal and find out what I need to do to accomplish later today after I get to the office.

I was just wanting to get this thing installed last nite but didnt want to mess with anything prior to outfitting myself with the information I was looking for. If there was a difference....I would have just sold this one and went the other direction.

Good to know that the only difference is the sticker in the box! lol You wouldnt believe how long I labored over that difference...lol.

The mod game begins...lol. Last car I owned (2005 Acura TL) I had over $55,000 into before I gave up on imports and went back to Cadillac....supercharged, ect. and raced in Indy Region SCCA Autocross program (won street mod class in 2008).
    Not to get off topic, and I only ask because I'm intimately familiar with that car (I shopped for the one my mother bought), but what made the TL your choice for that kind of pursuit?

It's not a deprecating or leading question, I promise (obviously you did well with it).. just seems like a large, fairly soft front-wheel-drive kinda peaky v6 wouldn't be the first option for that kind of thing. Then again, my friend's husband and his friends go autocrossing with old caprices, which is probably hilarious to watch, so whatever works!

jebfrank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Deville 10 CTS-V Sedan M6

Quote Originally Posted by Indy CTS-V View Post
    I have probably what would be considered a newbie 101 level question here....I just got my K&N FIPK via UPS today. I got it from a fleabay vendor...no biggie. I understand there is two part #'s from K&N for the 2005 CTS-V...the older 63-3054 series...and the newer 57-3054 GenII.

Two questions....is there a difference at all in these units? Is there an advantage to the older one over the newer 57 series...or is the older series just what they called them prior to CARB status?

Confused a bit...I got the 57 series BTW. I made a mistake...as I was trying to get the 63 series....but does it really matter? Is there a difference at all?

I just was not worred about CARB status as I live in Indiana which does not have annual inspections or inspection at all for that matter.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question...lol. But I could not find the exact answer anywhere....so as I always was the dumb kid in class that raised his hand and asked the dumb question everybody had on thier mind anyway but was afraid to ask....here I am asking...lol.
    Benz?

Quote Originally Posted by malfeas99 View Post
    Not to get off topic, and I only ask because I'm intimately familiar with that car (I shopped for the one my mother bought), but what made the TL your choice for that kind of pursuit?

It's not a deprecating or leading question, I promise (obviously you did well with it).. just seems like a large, fairly soft front-wheel-drive kinda peaky v6 wouldn't be the first option for that kind of thing. Then again, my friend's husband and his friends go autocrossing with old caprices, which is probably hilarious to watch, so whatever works!
    Fair question! lol. I didnt exactly buy it for that reason. I just bought it at the time because they are a very good value for the price paid and fairly reliable. Then I started modding it after joining Acurazine.com and getting the mod bug in my system again. The rest is history.

As for why I raced it? Honestly...it wasnt bad at all. I ran straight OEM upgrade performance suspension (A-Spec) with Rotora4 brakes all the way around combined with some V-710 autocross slicks and I was all set! Like any car...it just takes a learning curve and if you have a knack to drive...you will get er done! Prior to this I had never performance drove a FWD car either...lol. First one...took a year to learn the car and technique...the next year I took the class victory in 2008.

Here is a nasty quality vid I did...sorry about the noise and the guy riding with me wouldnt shut up talking to me...and this was durring the first year of learning curve. Oh...and I might mention...I did all of this ON AN AUTOMATIC TRANS...lol. Talk about a problem!

Here was the car....

Quote Originally Posted by jebfrank View Post
    Benz?
    How could ya tell? lol Howdy Jeb! Damn...embarrassed I even had to ask this question above but it was driving me insane last nite and I didnt want to install it prior to having my answer.

What was it...the long post.....err....the dot dot dots...lol. Because I dont think I used the word "therein" anywhere in this post!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.